- Summon Dragonfly #shittywizardspells #
- Not only seeing the X-Men movie today, but (1) it's a short walk and (2) there's dim sum en route. #richmonddistrict #415 #
- Was much more of a Fantasy Trip kid than a D&D kid. #
- RIP, jazz pianist Ray Bryant (b. 1931). #
- Morning sounds: fridge chirping and droning like a field of insects, wind playing in the chimney, vehicles passing cautiously on wet street. #
- All my kid's electric toys that make noise should come with a "simulated low battery" setting. #
- Craigslist photo compression makes every posted item look like it is stolen. #
- RT @ario: Every time a piece of tempting audio content is made available as stream-only with no download option, an angel loses its wings. #
- A favorite from my comics-editing days. Man, 1993. RT @TrueSwamp: Here's a sweet old Lutes/Lewis morsel http://ow.ly/1trjyN #
- Fairly certain that Pringles canister on stage is an instrument. #noiselife #
- My first concert-going experience since the whole #noiselife thing. #
- "Live in Tokyo" by @taylordeupree, courtesy of @selftitledmag, will be this evening's soundtrack: http://t.co/8Vhl21F #
- In a lesser work, this is where the starkly defined parameters commonly referred to as "melody" would make themselves plainly heard. #
- Sound Shapes game looks solid http://bit.ly/kzQUTb (via @nobuooo) But @gamespy discussion = humorously retrograde-fanboy http://goo.gl/dl3y4 #
- Briefly enjoying inflated Twitter stats, as I've been followed in previous 36 hours by enough bots to populate an arcade game. #
- I like when my favorite musicians correspond on Twitter. It inevitably leads to (or discloses existence of) collaboration. #
- Afternoon audiostream: dank, shifting, pneumatic minimal techno "Trust" by Porto, Portugal's @ocp_pt_vu http://t.co/lSHdOd3 #
- Mid-week reminder: if you do the Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com page you might Like: http://facebook.com/disquiet.fb #
- Death metal to the left of me, chucka chucka dance music to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle. At Chinatown branch of @sfplnews #
- Looking forward to first-Thursday art crawl this evening in San Francisco — anything soundy going on? #
- RIP, sound mixer Bill Varney (b. 1934), who worked with Walter Murch on the restored Touch of Evil http://goo.gl/myNTB #
- RT @morganpackard: RT @schweppits Crackling sound of browning chicken goes nicely with new Now Ensemble album. http://t.co/cEqHHBR #eartwit #
- Speaking of #noiselife Joe Colley's Oakland newsstand @issuesshop celebrates its 4th anniversary today http://t.co/D78lvjE #
- RT @JDKun: The hills are alive with a duet between squad car sirens and a pack of howling coyotes. #NELA #eartwit #
- You ripped the audio from this video of a cicada-infested wall http://t.co/bhnAcCh via @io9 #noiselife #
- What happens when you mash up @creativecommons + @youtube? We shall see: http://is.gd/j8qNan via @xenijardin #
- Your instruments are hand-me-downs from your toddler #noiselife #
- Whoever wrote this sign is unfamiliar with early Eddie Murphy: http://ow.ly/i/clQD #
- Crud. Local comic store won't get this week's issues til tomorrow, due to Memorial Day shipping delay. I need my Criminal #1 #
- Favorite colors are white, brown, and pink #noiselife #
- Favorite digital audio formats are .gif and .png #noiselife #
- Has no idea about this #noiselife activity because handles all communication through MySpace #
- “@cranksatori: @disquiet "Have you ever thought of putting beats over that?"”#noiselife #
- Doesn't use a single solitary item sold at Guitar Center #noiselife #
- "What do you mean it would benefit from the addition of vocals? I was singing." #noiselife #
- Closest thing to a reunion tour will involve resuscitating decade-old solo pseudonym #noiselife #
- Has to explain to family that the harsh language in local alt-weekly coverage was, in fact, praise #noiselife #
- Everyone in the audience is also on the bill #noiselife #
- Shelf full of broken children's toys #noiselife #
- Wants velcro cable ties for birthday #noiselife #
- RT @osakimandias Airport white noise: constant dull surf of blended voices beneath checkpoint alarms, chittering like irate cicadas #eartwit #
- Response to iPad stylus Cosmonaut http://goo.gl/oXF28 (almost 3x $50k goal) gives lie to knee-jerk anti-stylus thinking. #
- "Artist of science" Gail Wight part of June 2 show at Patricia Sweetow Gallery: http://goo.gl/Zip0U My old Nature piece: http://goo.gl/ohAaG #
- My kid turns 9 months today. Singing (for fun and as lullabies) helped reconnect me to the voice after many years in instrumental wilderness #
- Excellent to see @io9 give a push http://goo.gl/k4hJ3 to Cheryl Leonard's Antarctic-music Kickstarter http://t.co/RLO04AH #
- Wondering how song-identification services like Shazam are preparing for our generative-music future. #
- DJ, human or algorithmic, moved from "Death of a Ladies' Man" to "Dark Side of the Moon," confirming their resemblance. #
- San Francisco Tuesday noon siren muted by death metal at Rosamunde Grill (here for the Tuesday-only hamburger). #
- Fairly certain I only employ the word "chic" when talking about the band. #
- And when wipers don't match the beat. RT @taylordeupree: Hate when pitch of my tires on highway pavement don't match song I'm listening to. #
- Not the sound of hard rain. A hard drive being re-parsed by Songbird. #
- Yeah, I could see how typing "toot" instead of "root" could confuse a XAMPP/WordPress install. #
- RIP, Steve Rutt (b. 1945), developer of Rutt/Etra video synth: obit http://goo.gl/Ndrqk video http://goo.gl/UdIQz plugin http://goo.gl/9Dkwz #
- Vinyl surface noise + snippets of appropriated instrumentation + broken beats = a combination of which I will never tire. #
- Pretty sure that "Scandinavian" is an English-language term used to suggest "I have a poor sense of geography." #
- Really digging "Immigrant Song" by Trent Reznor and Karen O. It's a cover that sounds like a remix, blurring the idea of both. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 455 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments