- [email protected] Thanks. I'm glad you noticed. It's become a kind of "post test": is there a sentence or clause that stands on its own? #
- Wanna thank my 9-month-old for inspiring purchase of food mill, which has (beyond mulching peas) enabled a great olive tapenade #
- Local movie theater's marquee makes certain we know movies are shown "in 2D" #
- Current discussion: Comparing a synthesizer with a piano and a cello, what is an instrument in our post-laptop days? http://bit.ly/koXWxl #
- Added-on camera-lens glint in Super 8 was as much of the CGI budget as the monster. (And the model-painting comparison was a nice touch.) #
- Sounds of the day: ancient lady's rickety two-wheel cart on sidewalk, flag post attached to wood exterior wall creaking in light wind. #
- But: I like the idea of dancing about architecture. #
- "Closed Monday and Tuesday to make sausage." (Yanni's in Pengrove, CA) #
- Noon bells, heard from one block away. Clang -> echo -> memory. #
- The podcast/broadcast series @thetheradius is great, and I'm addicted to its brief, glitchy opening theme http://bit.ly/iCq6AB #
- Fully tired of the "small screen"/"big screen" euphemisms for TV/film. How about intimate/mass, domestic/public? #
- Stilll waiting for that Breakbeat Era reunion. #
- Based on initial test, the ""Stereo Output Distribution Machine" I purchased for $1.50 at Daiso is worth about $1.50. #
- [email protected]_Moderne Yeah, waveforms are like looking at the music's undergarments. #
- Playing a track in fast forward isn't the worst way to come to understand its structure. #
- Are people getting onto http://t.co/0idUMCu? Still seems down, from DDoS attack. I'm reading reports it's back up, but not for me. #
- Finished watching CBC's Intelligence. Solid. Actor Eugene Lipinski is a revelation. And Schaun Tozer's score is artfully economical. #
- What I'm talking about. RT @debcha I usually listen to locked groove on Peter Broderick's Home for at least ten minutes before moving needle #
- Bought a tidy headphone splitter. The Japanese packaging translation reads "Stereo Output Distribution Machine." #
- My friends: connoisseurs of their albums' blank spaces. RT @vuzhmusic I have a few really great run-out grooves that I've listened to a lot. #
- One sure sign of the mailbot-pocalypse: when the Rolex spam and the Viagra spam mate. #
- I like listening to vinyl, especially when all I'm listening to is the vinyl. #
- Justin Amrhein tech-illos at @mrgallery as of 6/25: part Geof Darrow, part Tom Ormond, part D-L Alvarez, & all-consuming http://goo.gl/UgtPc #
- The sculpture in my office is generative: the system (its form) yields countless poses. I will miss it when I return it to the artist. #
- Choreography, politics & music blamed for Rite of Spring "riot." Comments in this post show how fast story gets muddled http://goo.gl/KyVSg #
- The @gawker fake title for the new Transformers movie is splendid: Transfomers: Nothing but Noise and Light for Two Hours. #
- Trying to listen to field recordings of wolves, but continuously mistake what's heard as my kid waking and crying from the crib #
- the shrill bird outside / mellowed by computer fan / baby sleeps, for now #
- Will do. RT @GuyBirkin: @disquiet I request future sound Tweets in haiku form, e.g. "Noon duet: / boiling carrots / and fridge hum". #
- Noon duet for boiling carrots and fridge hum. #
- Major congrats to Boon Design, which turns 18 today: http://bit.ly/lt5zoa (Boon has collaborated on several Disquiet projects.) @boondesign #
- RIP, vocalist Carl Gardner (b. 1928) of the Coasters ("Yakety Yak," "Young Blood," "Searchin'") and, earlier, the Robins http://goo.gl/sCD7y #
- RIP, grindcore vocalist Seth Putnam (b. 1968) http://t.co/AjpJQwf #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0472 / Jam Time (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0471 / Phase Transition / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0470 / Calendar View / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0469 / [Missing in Caption] / The Assignment: Make music that pushes the constraints of descriptive television captions.
• 0468 / Mirror Rorrim / The Assignment: Create a new persona for yourself, and record a duet together.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 472 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments