- [email protected] Thanks. I'm glad you noticed. It's become a kind of "post test": is there a sentence or clause that stands on its own? #
- Wanna thank my 9-month-old for inspiring purchase of food mill, which has (beyond mulching peas) enabled a great olive tapenade #
- Local movie theater's marquee makes certain we know movies are shown "in 2D" #
- Current discussion: Comparing a synthesizer with a piano and a cello, what is an instrument in our post-laptop days? http://bit.ly/koXWxl #
- Added-on camera-lens glint in Super 8 was as much of the CGI budget as the monster. (And the model-painting comparison was a nice touch.) #
- Sounds of the day: ancient lady's rickety two-wheel cart on sidewalk, flag post attached to wood exterior wall creaking in light wind. #
- But: I like the idea of dancing about architecture. #
- "Closed Monday and Tuesday to make sausage." (Yanni's in Pengrove, CA) #
- Noon bells, heard from one block away. Clang -> echo -> memory. #
- The podcast/broadcast series @thetheradius is great, and I'm addicted to its brief, glitchy opening theme http://bit.ly/iCq6AB #
- Fully tired of the "small screen"/"big screen" euphemisms for TV/film. How about intimate/mass, domestic/public? #
- Stilll waiting for that Breakbeat Era reunion. #
- Based on initial test, the ""Stereo Output Distribution Machine" I purchased for $1.50 at Daiso is worth about $1.50. #
- [email protected]_Moderne Yeah, waveforms are like looking at the music's undergarments. #
- Playing a track in fast forward isn't the worst way to come to understand its structure. #
- Are people getting onto http://t.co/0idUMCu? Still seems down, from DDoS attack. I'm reading reports it's back up, but not for me. #
- Finished watching CBC's Intelligence. Solid. Actor Eugene Lipinski is a revelation. And Schaun Tozer's score is artfully economical. #
- What I'm talking about. RT @debcha I usually listen to locked groove on Peter Broderick's Home for at least ten minutes before moving needle #
- Bought a tidy headphone splitter. The Japanese packaging translation reads "Stereo Output Distribution Machine." #
- My friends: connoisseurs of their albums' blank spaces. RT @vuzhmusic I have a few really great run-out grooves that I've listened to a lot. #
- One sure sign of the mailbot-pocalypse: when the Rolex spam and the Viagra spam mate. #
- I like listening to vinyl, especially when all I'm listening to is the vinyl. #
- Justin Amrhein tech-illos at @mrgallery as of 6/25: part Geof Darrow, part Tom Ormond, part D-L Alvarez, & all-consuming http://goo.gl/UgtPc #
- The sculpture in my office is generative: the system (its form) yields countless poses. I will miss it when I return it to the artist. #
- Choreography, politics & music blamed for Rite of Spring "riot." Comments in this post show how fast story gets muddled http://goo.gl/KyVSg #
- The @gawker fake title for the new Transformers movie is splendid: Transfomers: Nothing but Noise and Light for Two Hours. #
- Trying to listen to field recordings of wolves, but continuously mistake what's heard as my kid waking and crying from the crib #
- the shrill bird outside / mellowed by computer fan / baby sleeps, for now #
- Will do. RT @GuyBirkin: @disquiet I request future sound Tweets in haiku form, e.g. "Noon duet: / boiling carrots / and fridge hum". #
- Noon duet for boiling carrots and fridge hum. #
- Major congrats to Boon Design, which turns 18 today: http://bit.ly/lt5zoa (Boon has collaborated on several Disquiet projects.) @boondesign #
- RIP, vocalist Carl Gardner (b. 1928) of the Coasters ("Yakety Yak," "Young Blood," "Searchin'") and, earlier, the Robins http://goo.gl/sCD7y #
- RIP, grindcore vocalist Seth Putnam (b. 1968) http://t.co/AjpJQwf #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.