- There is something inherently humorous about getting a busy signal when one calls a phone company. #
- Anyone else in San Francisco having trouble with AT&T Internet access this morning? #
- Having revisited Vitiello's World Trade Center audio, I am apparently marking 911's 10th anniversary by (finally) reading Mira Grant's Feed. #
- The strongest art memorial to WTC 9/11 may have been made two years before 9/11: http://t.co/aIMg0Ws #
- When subject line cuts off after "New 8 hour e" it's nice to find spam hasn't gotten past your filter. Just a long recording. #
- RIP, Michael Hart (b. 1947), founder of Project Gutenberg (via @dylanhorrocks) #
- Great first night @sfemf — five sets in less than two hours. A good, brisk start. #
- RIP, Andrew Householder (b. 1932), my high school chorus teacher. #
- Looking forward to @sfemf starting tonight @sfmoma. Really wish the Saturday concert didn't conflict with Ikue Mori at Mills. #
- The Bark of the Fugue #CanineClassical #
- Magnifidog #CanineClassical #sorry #
- Beethoven's Symphony No. K9 #CanineClassical #
- RIP, George Kuchar (b. 1942), underground filmmaker: http://t.co/92njnTs #
- The good news is there's a new Steven Soderbergh film this Friday. The great news is there's a new Cliff Martinez score. #contagion #
- RIP, visionary (and visions-inducing) experimental filmmaker Jordan Belson (b. 1926) via @geetadayal @CtrVisualMusic @quartzcity #
- Amazing how well Win7 netbook runs after reducing visual fx, turning off Media Player Network Sharing Service & limiting searchable folders. #
- Very glad to learn Alphas was renewed for a second season. Second most sound-conscious TV drama, bested only by Fringe. #
- Took one-year-old for routine checkup blood draw. The lab waiting room had tons of generic mags and one novel: Zero History by @GreatDismal #
- RIP, Creole legend Wardell Quezergue (b. 1930), whose Nola label recorded Robert Parker’s “Barefootin’”plus work by Eddie Bo and Willie Tee #
- .@pheezy Yeah, that Belkin looks like what I'm thinking. This is what I'm currently pondering, or maybe a pair of 'em: http://t.co/ce7mZJt #
- Batteries: 47%, 88%. Headphones: Mute. Day: 72%. #
- Is there an easy way for audio going into the mic jack of a Windows machine to be immediately funneled out the headphone jack? #
- Half of the 10 cuts on the Metallica/Reed/Willner album are over 8 minutes long. One is almost 20. #
- In this cafe everyone's cellphone ring sounds like an episode of House is about to start. #
- PR processing: Create "PR email" folder. Then a folder for "interesting" PR. Then a folder for "truly" interesting. Then for "musts" … âˆž #
- Christian Marclay and Ikue Mori are playing the Bay Area this weekend. It's like I never left SoHo or the 1980s. #
- No fog horn, but the Tuesday noon siren bled into the noon bells. #
- Sun's coming out, but remain hopeful for fog horn duet with Tuesday noon siren. #
- These days when a band or solo musician appears after a decades-long break I immediately think, "Madoff retirement plan." #
- Amazing how more smoothly Win7 runs on netbook with few tweaks to visuals, indexing, start-up programs. Why isn't there a netbook setting? #
- Fog horns at their most Close Encounters of the Third Kind”“tastic. #
- Ubuntu: shouldn't be this difficult to install DropBox. Otherwise nice and stable. (Vaguely related: Acer should make RAM upgrades simpler.) #
- Battery: 98%. Volume: 35%. Day: 56%. #
- "That is the death metal of exhaust fans," says @markrushtoncom http://t.co/hslZZpC #
- Phone-made field recording of perhaps the loudest bathroom fan (76 decibels or so) on Geary Boulevard in San Francisco http://t.co/hslZZpC #
- Battery: 95%. Volume: 78%. Day: 39%. #
- Consider Kickstarter-ing Joshua Izenberg's I, Slomo doc. I just did. It's about a neurologist who rollerblades in slomo. http://t.co/YkZwcia #
- Evening sounds: Nothing but the high pitch of a house with a not inordinate amount of electrical devices. #
- SF Zine Fest was pretty great. Lots of self-published works, plus paintings, buttons, stickers, stationery, and more. #
- Baby's first experience of Coroner's cover of the Beatles' "She's So Heavy." Every doom-metal band must cover the proto-drone-rock classic. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice