- Looking forward to the Fluxus event at SOMArts tonight featuring Alison Knowles and Hannah Higgins. #
- Ben Barry, Everett Katigbak & Matteo Bologna were highlights of yesterday's Brand New Conference. Fluid, improvisational, dense, obsessive. #
- Channeled my complaints about the music-PR-email deluge into something constructive: http://t.co/3Vy3RUg0 #
- After episode featuring man with dolphin-quality echolocative ability, Alphas has tied Fringe as most sonically conscious drama on TV. #
- Shareware shout out to SimpleNote, ResophNotes, WinSplit Revolution, Trillian, Chrome, Thunderbird, Orzeszek Timer. #
- Sometimes a single feature added to a familiar piece of software can make it feel like you have a whole new laptop. #
- ResophNotes, the SimpleNote application for Windows, now supports pinned notes. This is very good news. #
- Earbud multi-source cabling: Anyone got a line on something like this http://t.co/w3gVKDH3 but with three, maybe four, inputs? #
- Evening sounds: bus coming to a stop, paper being moved around, typing, laptop hard drive and fan (really need to switch over to SSD). #
- Still getting used to saying things like "I have only 18% left to go in this book I am reading." #
- "Coyotes Provide Soundtrack to Theater in Griffith Park": http://t.co/tPDbY31 #
- Good to break burritos today with @TomComitta in Dolores Park. Now thinking about Unicode poetry, guerrilla opera, and more burritos. #
- Commitment means setting your wifi to auto-connect. #
- First time hearing Winehouse since initial flurry following death. Man, what a voice. And how Ronson's exquisite artifice contrasts with it. #
- RIP, banjo pioneer Wade Mainer (b. 1907): http://t.co/KywtU9i #
- If there's a Lego Bionicles Camp, there really should be a Fluxus Camp. #noiseparent #noiselife #
- If we all chipped in 50 cents, would the cafe turn down the music? Maybe for a buck turn it off? #crowdsource #
- RIP, French DJ Mehdi (aka Mehdi Favéris-Essadi, b. 1977), who's worked with Daft Punk, MC Solaar, Futura 2000, Asian Dub Foundation & others #
- Tuesday noon siren while reading Feed, the zombie novel by Mira Grant. #
- Battery: 70%. Headphones: 40%. Day: 96%. #
- RIP, influential cultural musicologist Christopher Small (b. 1927): http://t.co/unG77PG #
- Today's cafe music is one of those stations playing musicians covering their own hits later in life, many recorded with royalties in mind. #
- Hi, Hive. Any way in Windows 7 to instruct the system to allocate additional memory to a specific Chrome extension? #
- 9/11 means 10 years ago in a few days I saw Alex Chilton play NOLA's Howlin' Wolf. Tiny crowd tensed whenever police car lights flashed by. #
- RIP, early trance/ambient musician Barry Craig, aka A Produce. Discussion: http://t.co/jv1NOYg Obituary: http://t.co/azQnc5u #
- RIP, Bill Kunkel (b. 1950), one of the earliest video-game journalists: http://t.co/Xkk5Jp7 #
- Congrats to the great netlabels @dustedwax & Resting Bell for reaching 100th-release milestone: http://t.co/Bv3wxYL http://t.co/NEsALdb #
- RIP, Charles Dubin (b. 1919), TV director whose M*A*S*H episodes included one with "silent" soldier with damaged throat http://t.co/FzRf0xQ #
- RIP, Sparkplug Comics publisher and comics artist Dylan Williams. Gotta dig up the strip you did for me back in 1997. #
- My one-year-old sang along to the garbage disposal. #noiselife #musiquedameublement #
- AT&T has confirmed some Internet outages in the broadly defined SF Bay Area. #took3hours2get2techsupport #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 455 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments