- Far as I can tell, the sonic fun of the season premiere of Fringe was solely Walter growing an ear in his lab. #
- That's what I'm talking about RT @EdieBushwick Theo Parrish doing "Trouble Man"/"Super Fly"; Philip Jeck doing "Once Upon a Time in America" #
- The neutrinos in my neighborhood are getting all "look what we did." #
- Pavement paraphrase: netlabels start up each & every day, I saw another one just the other day, a special new netlabel: http://t.co/rUJ8f8qt #
- RIP, guitarist John Du Cann (b. 1950), of Atomic Rooster, and other bands. #
- Musicians should cover film scores. Like to hear Scanner do Code 46, DJ Krush do Blade Runner, Battles do Requiem for a Dream. #
- At the start of the Person of Interest pilot, I kept waiting for Jim Caviezel's character to reveal himself to be the Sub-Mariner. #
- Someone's cellphone on the quiet floor of the library squeals the "smells of elderberries" line from Monty Python, and no one even looks up. #
- â™ª Afternoon audio stream: Rhythmic, downtempo, blippy "London Stock Exchange": http://t.co/NVS3i8fZ #
- What a difference upping RAM from 1GB to 2 makes on a netbook. Highly recommended. As Paul McCartney sang, "Soon right away, right away." #
- The theme song to the TV series Alphas should be David Bowie's "Oh! You Pretty Things." #
- New 'Dragon Tattoo' trailer lacks Zep cover but has Reznor/Ross score RT @trent_reznor: taste of what we've been up to http://t.co/C9vwU5iJ” #
- Not so much Scylla and Charybdis as foghorn and baby's breathing. #
- Why does Outlook appear to use about 1/3 the memory of Thunderbird? #win7 #
- The Who-song miniatures that open the CSI TV shows aren't remixes. They're reductions, the bouillon cubes of pop music. #
- If DC Comics or Marvel ran network TV, there'd be a crossover week in which Ted Danson appeared on every show. #
- Wasn't looking at TV but heard commercial for what I thought was Apple, in which woman says, "It just works." Turns out it was Advil. #
- Sometimes I forget that "The Sheltering Sky" by King Crimson doesn't have lyrics, the solo is so melodious. #
- First time listening to Gang Starr when I had momentarily forgotten Guru had passed. #micgladiator #
- Finished Mira Grant's Deadline (and Feed). In advance of Blackout (due June 2012), what of hers should I read next? #
- When a band no longer lives in close proximity or plays regularly are they really "together"? What's a band "trial separation"? #
- â™ª Afternoon audio stream: midtempo synth pulses at http://t.co/F2EuXPb4 #
- Cool to hear it applied to different music. RT @ThicketApp just released FREE version of Thicket for NYC SONiC festival http://t.co/XT7ziZN0 #
- Another season of NCIS, another semi-surreptitiously placed Venetian Snares poster. #
- Tonight's incidental music: whir, rattle & beep of PG&E cherry picker outside our front window helping neighbors get back their electricity. #
- Dearest Thunderbird, you've caught a case of iTunes-itis. Please speed up and trim down. Devotedly, win7boy15 #
- After a week of working solely on a laptop, the desktop's whir makes it feel like writing on an airplane. Steve Reich is masking the noise. #
- Thought I was being hyperbolic with my "what's wrong with PR" piece http://t.co/3Vy3RUg0 Just got another email with no descriptive text. #
- Dear living room console, even though you are equipped for 5.1 surround sound, you'll always be the stereo to me. #
- Finished Mary Davis' survey of the life of Erik Satie, who taught us the cure for love: play his Vexations 840 times. http://t.co/l1dWmghk #
- Imagining Samuel Johnson's @kickstarter campaign to cover research & publication of his dictionary. #
- I've got foghorns on a sunny day. When it's warm outside I've got the month of September. #
- Skype: powered by grandparents. #
- Headphones: 6%. Day: 52%. Battery: 85%. #
- Cliff Martinez's score for Contagion is often quite JD Emmanuel. #
- Copyright Timecops arrest Erik Satie for lifting theme from "Mon Rocher de Saint-Malo" for his "Holothuria." #
- The dehumidifier sounds as if there's a massive swarm of insects outside the house. Like if white noise was a horror movie. #
- White House had Fluxus hero Alison Knowles at poetry night with Common & Ubuweb's Goldsmith. Son-in-law: Deputy Social Secretary Reinstein. #
- Perhaps first Wikipedia entry with photo taken at event where I was present http://t.co/BLXSUR3O (Fluxus progeny/chronicler Hannah Higgins) #
- Evening duet for dripping coffee and dehumidifier (car alarm remix). #
- Evening duet for dripping coffee and dehumidifier. #
- A Fluxus event's effectiveness can be gauged by how long after it ends you still read street signs as instructions for musical performance. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0473 / Placebo Effect (2 or 3) / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0472 / Jam Time (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0471 / Phase Transition / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0470 / Calendar View / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0469 / [Missing in Caption] / The Assignment: Make music that pushes the constraints of descriptive television captions.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 473 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments