- The em-dash followed by the open quote is the bÃªte noire of the ebook. #
- Hardly Strictly Bluegrass happening a few blocks from my house. From here it's muffled, more like Almost Certainly Shoegaze. #
- Thus far (10% in), Reamde is my favorite Neal Stephenson since Cryptonomicon. The plumbing of MMORGs is fascinating: R&D&D. #
- Noon carillon filtered through library's walls, windows, and air conditioning. #
- Listening to audiobooks in "fast" mode means expecting the narrator at any moment to interject, "I want to be … a dentist!" #
- Debating which makes the stronger icon for sound: the waveform or the spectrogram: http://t.co/wbOIOT9B #
- Special thanks to @vinylsaurus (né Scott Faulkner) for drawing my Twitter background for the coming month. #
- RIP, Leonard Dillon (b. 1942), cofounder of ska group the Ethiopians. #
- The Message: RIP, Sugar Hill Records founder Sylvia Robinson (b. 1936). #
- Christian Marclay exhibit at Fraenkel in San Francisco highly recommended. Cyanotypes of cassettes, plus splendid video of LP playfulness. #
- The seat cushions in this cafe suggest it is best for all involved that I focus on sound not smell. #
- The Kindle Fire doesn't have a microphone? #
- The galleries today at 49 Geary in oddly warm San Francisco were all humming with window fans. #
- Being in your home while construction to your home is taking place is like the the Fantastic Voyage of dentistry. #
- Occasional reminder: if you do The Facebook, there's a Disquiet.com page for that: http://t.co/DNmSGwqD #
- My http://t.co/xOB96gVV page was powered by @delicious but the Delicious relaunch has broken it. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. Multi-speaker echo effect especially clear, as house lacks several windows (having them replaced today) #
- I submit that the Thunderbird requirements for Windows 7 understate the hardware minimums: http://t.co/Cw8Jw8Gm #
- Every six months someone dies who was "considered the founder of bluegrass." #
- Frotz: No iPad should be without one. #
- The music of a dry cleaner: http://t.co/MToXjm9M (with video) #
- Enjoying the Daemon/Ready Player One/Reamde gamer-inspired novels? Solid piece on AmberMUSH MUD's influence on writers: http://t.co/cRiXMkOR #
- Forgot to mark my @goodreads review of Davis' Satie bio for spoilers. Hope people don't mind I note Satie dies. #theideaofthespoilerisstupid #
- Very much looking forward to APE this weekend. Hope to have a new Sketches of Sound mini together but may have to just hand out last year's. #
- Proj Gutenberg founder had no mobile phone, yet his work made my phone valuable by letting me read books: http://t.co/0PNNVIA9 via @glennf #
- Haven't used desktop in two weeks. Benefits of (relative) quiet of laptop outweigh noise of fans and drives. #nextstepssd #
- Album "showcases [X]'s award winning songwriting which has earned her multiple awards" #greatmomentsinmusicpr #
- Stopped by Long Now as part of the @mechanicrawl. Heard the 10k-year bells. Now on to the SS Jeremiah O'Brien. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0485 / Strange Weather / The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer's traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 485 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments