- Apologies for limited Disquiet.com coverage this week. Spent much of it battling a fever. #noiseparent #
- Judging by the microphone distortion, there is either a sports event or a political rally occurring at the nearby high school. #
- "Director of Previsualization": movie credit of the evening #
- #occupyclassical RT @operafella: Nilsson award to Muti? Another who doesn't need $1,000,000. A reward for being successful and rich? Dumb. #
- Between jazz fan played by Danes in Homeland & temperament of Caviezel in Person of Interest it's a very Eastwood season of TV #
- Many sirens in the Richmond District. Anyone know what is up? #415 #
- Footlozenge: story of loner teen who cures town of flu symptoms. #footlost #
- Having those <error>"Your account may not be allowed to perform this action. Try logging out and in again."</error> blues again. #
- Wondering how many apps aren't playing nicely with iOS5's (quite excellent, but also late to the party) up/down/left/right 4-finger swipes. #
- RIP, blues harmonica player George "Mojo" Buford (b. 1929), veteran of Muddy Waters' band: http://t.co/abK9hfRl #
- Feeling confident there is an iOS5.1 in our future. #
- RIP, Dennis Ritchie (b. 1941), creator of C programming language; 1983 winner of Turing Award. via @hecanjog @fortnow #
- RIP, Freddie Gruber (b. 1927), jazz drummer and instructor (Vinnie Colaiuta, Neil Peart) http://t.co/bd6w75bg #
- Accidentally listening simultaneously to Slum Village instrumentals and Drone Wallah (aka C.P. McDill). Not a bad combo. #
- Nice iOS5 feature: swipe up four fingers reveals multitaskbar. No more late-night home-button clicking. Also swipe left/right between apps. #
- All software licenses should include — perhaps be required to include — an option to save the document as a text file. #
- Been reading coverage of Neal Stephenson's @Official_GDC Q&A. The word "music" was in the title. Anyone explain what he said about music? #
- #depressingsitcoms Hogan's Enemies #
- #depressingsitcoms The Flying None #
- 16: Number of minutes between iCloud welcome email and iCloud "Your iCloud storage is almost full" email. #
- Diggin the Android-style pulldown notifications & UMPC-style split keyboard in iOS5. Well, will once sync ends. #shouldawaitedonbibliophilia #
- 11:17am: iPad update to iOS5 pretty much complete. Apps being restored via wifi. This will take some time. #
- Restore in Progress. #livetweetingios5upgrade #
- 10:42: iOS5 update: "An unknown error occurred (1611)" #experience #
- Starting iOS5 update to iPad at 10:06am California time (and, yeah, Oregon time and so on). #
- Remixers, start your samplers: That audio of police scanners from OccupyBoston made available for download: http://t.co/mCPG3CNJ #
- The iOS5 release time in your IP time zone: http://t.co/R5iZGSyF … Looking forward to going "PC free," if only for device-charging ease. #
- Fog horns sound like someone's honking on the road to Valhalla. #
- News for hip-hop instrumental listeners: @Piecelock70 says "At some point, absolutely" re: chance of @puts Highlighter instrumentals release #
- RIP, MoCA donor/trustee Bea Gersh (b. 1924), "one of America's top arts philanthropists" http://t.co/TUJmX0lD via @TylerGreenDC #
- Yowza. I'm guessing PUtStairs isn't asking you to buy more stuff. RT @primusluta: Got nothing on People Under The Stairs 1.2GB of pure audio #
- Latest edition of the Björk Biophilia app (1.3) is 725MB, according to iTunes. There's a thin line between ambition and bloat. #
- Tuesday noon siren with most of the house's windows open. #
- Between the Avengers trailer and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trailer, it looks like Reznor/Nine Inch Nails is the new Peter Gabriel. #
- Reflecting on once ubiquitous TV pitchman Don Lapre's recent suicide, isn't Google's business model mostly "placing lots of tiny ads"? #
- Look on face of guy who left laptop in taxi & woman with dead drive at Genius bar make me want Bill Viola to do portraits of data-loss grief #
- Someone needs to assign Christopher Sorrentino to review Person of Interest. #
- Thus far, much spam seems to be observing Columbus Day. #
- Nearing-midnight sounds: laptop drive/fan, car revving few blocks away, jet engines to south, general high-pitched electr(on)ic whir. #
- It's not that my laptop's speakers are unusable. It's just that they're only loud enough from 9pm through 7am, when the world is quiet. #
- Per Joseph Lanza's Elevator Music, Roger Williams' "Autumn Leaves" arpeggios had to do with him thinking title to be "Falling Leaves." #
- RIP, pop pianist Roger Williams (b. 1924), whose solo instrumental "Autumn Leaves" once topped the U.S. charts. #
- Last few days with the humidifier. Its bee-hive drones will be missed — far more than the Blue Angels. #
- AverroÃ«s's Search Engine #opensourceborges #
- A USB Thumbdrive History of Iniquity #opensourceborges #
- RT @EdieBushwick: @disquiet The Google Docs of Babel #opensourceborges #
- The Garden of Forking Software #opensourceborges #
- Wanna rationalize Macbook Air purchase, but eM/MSE/Chrome & RAM upgrade have netbook flying. Later I'll convince myself netbook is backup. #
- RT @DaveSeidel: @disquiet The network is the venue. :-) [1. Indeed. 2. He's talking about this: http://t.co/p4IIO4j3 #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.