- Deciding whether adding stars to my @goodreads reviews would be act of good citizenship or betrayal of my dislike of quantitative appraisal. #
- Nice during walk to ocean that passing cars provide foley of rough surf and breaking waves. #
- RIP, photographer Barry Feinstein (b. 1931), whose LP covers include Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changin & the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man. #
- World especially quiet, hours after earthquake. #
- All of the animals on the farms we are passing are facing away from the setting sun. #
- "in loco parentis": Latin for "students feel oddly comfortable leaving expensive laptops while they go to the bathroom or out for a smoke" #
- From the news footage, looks like a whole lotta V for Vendetta cosplay at New York Comic Con this year. #
- Cafe streaming an "obscure and bland covers only" digital radio station. Like if Fringe's alt universe was soft-rock-only zone. #
- .@mrkvm There needs to be some #occupycafestereo action. in reply to mrkvm #
- A music track shared with 4953 people cannot be said to be private. #
- Really need hyper-local quick-action micro-Kickstarters. Like, where we can get $20 together to bribe cafe's clerk to turn off the stereo. #
- Night sounds: laptop fan/drive; car opting out of the stop sign; Tivo fan/drive; bus loping toward the beach; general electric whir. #
- Was told our 1-year-old ate "sorrel" today. Judging by state of our magazines, I imagined this meant a bunch of torn out New Yorker cartoons #
- That sudden rush of water from below concrete on cold San Francisco day. Your ears interpret it as a spring, but your gut knows better. #
- Unrelated tweets in a row: @GlennF: $11m avg rev/store = roughly 100 sales per day/store. Room to grow there. @primusluta: I hate shopping. #
- Got screener of new @warrenellis documentary (Captured Ghosts). Need to get a heap done before rewarding myself. #
- Especially echo-laden Tuesday noon siren while yapping on Twitter with friend about media as metaphor. #
- 100s of cars on market. Few have "killed" each other (accidents aside). Tech journalists using word "killer" are aping worst habits of PR. #
- RIP, Pete Rugolo (b. 1915): chief Stan Kenton arranger, TV composer, Mills graduate, Milhaud student: http://t.co/PnWp8nLm #
- Whoah. Thanks to Frank Santoro for shout out in interview he did. Material on my comics editing starts at 9:00 point: http://t.co/RU9Y2f1y #
- Costco sound art. Wiper-blade metronome. Vegas bldg noise. Everyday audio documented in my piece in new Vague Terrain: http://t.co/Qm6GPbRU #
- Honored to have piece in Vague Terrain 20 alongside work by David Kristian @readywater @robcruickshank @dafydd61 others http://t.co/Qm6GPbRU #
- RIP, Edgar Villchur (b.1917) hi-fi innovator http://t.co/I7ncwEuk ("Stereophile magazine … credits him with bringing hi-fi into the home") #
- RIP, literary/media theorist Friedrich Kittler (b. 1943) via @npseaver @juspar #
- Issue with digital watermarks for press is: record label doesn't trust reviewer's honesty but reviewer must trust label's security/rigor. #
- The hills are alive with the sound of infrastructure improvements. #
- New Animoog synth iOS app just $.99 for a short while. Quite nifty. Anyone found a manual? (via 1/4 of my Twitter feed) #
- Evening sounds: sleeping-baby breathing, typing, motorcycle passing by several blocks away, light breeze, refrigerator hum. #
- A TV show consisting simply of Fringe's Dr. Bishop conversing with Alphas' Gary? I'd loop each episode repeatedly until a new one aired. #
- Fave clarification of the day. RT @serial_consign: Reference to 'civilization' in earlier tweet was civilization of the Sid Meier variety. #
- This has so many applications. RT @xenijardin: Be the media you wish existed. #
- Dear Hive: Does or does not Notational Velocity support/sync tags with @simplenoteapp? #osx #
- RIP, Everett Ellin (b. 1928), helped computerize art catalogs; first exec director of Museum Computer Network http://t.co/iBPI9IyA #
- This is the DJ Krush live set I am streaming. Gets going around four minutes in: http://t.co/pGHDPauf @soundcloud #
- It's a DJ Krush kinda evening. Later maybe Kid Koala or Funki Porcini, but for now: Krush. #
- L.A. TMI #hipstercopmovie #
- Miami Vice Street Team #hipstercopmovie #
- Q: "Who is Keyser Soze?" A: "I don't know — I just thought this T-shirt looked kinda cool." #hipstercopmovie #
- "Go ahead. Make my Tumblr." #hipstercopmovie #
- "My Twitter account is @mrtibbs" #hipstercopmovie #
- “This is a real badge, I’m a real cop, and this is a real fixed-gear bike”#hipstercopmovie #
- Awesome. AT&T acknowledges issue on DSL line. ETA for fix: 10pm this coming Thursday. Any San Francisco tips for alt providers? #
- 5:00pm bells conspicuously early. #
- Dear Hive: Does giving zero stars to book on GoodReads count against its average? I dislike stars but don't wanna unintentionally downgrade. #
- Is Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent derivative of anything in particular to the even the slightest extent that so much is derivative of it? #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice