- Deciding whether adding stars to my @goodreads reviews would be act of good citizenship or betrayal of my dislike of quantitative appraisal. #
- Nice during walk to ocean that passing cars provide foley of rough surf and breaking waves. #
- RIP, photographer Barry Feinstein (b. 1931), whose LP covers include Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changin & the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man. #
- World especially quiet, hours after earthquake. #
- All of the animals on the farms we are passing are facing away from the setting sun. #
- "in loco parentis": Latin for "students feel oddly comfortable leaving expensive laptops while they go to the bathroom or out for a smoke" #
- From the news footage, looks like a whole lotta V for Vendetta cosplay at New York Comic Con this year. #
- Cafe streaming an "obscure and bland covers only" digital radio station. Like if Fringe's alt universe was soft-rock-only zone. #
- [email protected] There needs to be some #occupycafestereo action. in reply to mrkvm #
- A music track shared with 4953 people cannot be said to be private. #
- Really need hyper-local quick-action micro-Kickstarters. Like, where we can get $20 together to bribe cafe's clerk to turn off the stereo. #
- Night sounds: laptop fan/drive; car opting out of the stop sign; Tivo fan/drive; bus loping toward the beach; general electric whir. #
- Was told our 1-year-old ate "sorrel" today. Judging by state of our magazines, I imagined this meant a bunch of torn out New Yorker cartoons #
- That sudden rush of water from below concrete on cold San Francisco day. Your ears interpret it as a spring, but your gut knows better. #
- Unrelated tweets in a row: @GlennF: $11m avg rev/store = roughly 100 sales per day/store. Room to grow there. @primusluta: I hate shopping. #
- Got screener of new @warrenellis documentary (Captured Ghosts). Need to get a heap done before rewarding myself. #
- Especially echo-laden Tuesday noon siren while yapping on Twitter with friend about media as metaphor. #
- 100s of cars on market. Few have "killed" each other (accidents aside). Tech journalists using word "killer" are aping worst habits of PR. #
- RIP, Pete Rugolo (b. 1915): chief Stan Kenton arranger, TV composer, Mills graduate, Milhaud student: http://t.co/PnWp8nLm #
- Whoah. Thanks to Frank Santoro for shout out in interview he did. Material on my comics editing starts at 9:00 point: http://t.co/RU9Y2f1y #
- Costco sound art. Wiper-blade metronome. Vegas bldg noise. Everyday audio documented in my piece in new Vague Terrain: http://t.co/Qm6GPbRU #
- Honored to have piece in Vague Terrain 20 alongside work by David Kristian @readywater @robcruickshank @dafydd61 others http://t.co/Qm6GPbRU #
- RIP, Edgar Villchur (b.1917) hi-fi innovator http://t.co/I7ncwEuk ("Stereophile magazine … credits him with bringing hi-fi into the home") #
- RIP, literary/media theorist Friedrich Kittler (b. 1943) via @npseaver @juspar #
- Issue with digital watermarks for press is: record label doesn't trust reviewer's honesty but reviewer must trust label's security/rigor. #
- The hills are alive with the sound of infrastructure improvements. #
- New Animoog synth iOS app just $.99 for a short while. Quite nifty. Anyone found a manual? (via 1/4 of my Twitter feed) #
- Evening sounds: sleeping-baby breathing, typing, motorcycle passing by several blocks away, light breeze, refrigerator hum. #
- A TV show consisting simply of Fringe's Dr. Bishop conversing with Alphas' Gary? I'd loop each episode repeatedly until a new one aired. #
- Fave clarification of the day. RT @serial_consign: Reference to 'civilization' in earlier tweet was civilization of the Sid Meier variety. #
- This has so many applications. RT @xenijardin: Be the media you wish existed. #
- Dear Hive: Does or does not Notational Velocity support/sync tags with @simplenoteapp? #osx #
- RIP, Everett Ellin (b. 1928), helped computerize art catalogs; first exec director of Museum Computer Network http://t.co/iBPI9IyA #
- This is the DJ Krush live set I am streaming. Gets going around four minutes in: http://t.co/pGHDPauf @soundcloud #
- It's a DJ Krush kinda evening. Later maybe Kid Koala or Funki Porcini, but for now: Krush. #
- L.A. TMI #hipstercopmovie #
- Miami Vice Street Team #hipstercopmovie #
- Q: "Who is Keyser Soze?" A: "I don't know — I just thought this T-shirt looked kinda cool." #hipstercopmovie #
- "Go ahead. Make my Tumblr." #hipstercopmovie #
- "My Twitter account is @mrtibbs" #hipstercopmovie #
- “This is a real badge, I’m a real cop, and this is a real fixed-gear bike”#hipstercopmovie #
- Awesome. AT&T acknowledges issue on DSL line. ETA for fix: 10pm this coming Thursday. Any San Francisco tips for alt providers? #
- 5:00pm bells conspicuously early. #
- Dear Hive: Does giving zero stars to book on GoodReads count against its average? I dislike stars but don't wanna unintentionally downgrade. #
- Is Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent derivative of anything in particular to the even the slightest extent that so much is derivative of it? #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0477 / Flying Blind / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which some substantial portion is performed without looking.
• 0476 / IAH Forecast / The Assignment: Here's your next single's cover. Now record it.
• 0475 / Low End (4 of 3) / The Assignment: Remix a trio by doing forensics on its component parts.
• 0474 / Police Action (3 of 3) / The Assignment: Complete a trio by adding a track to an existing duet by two other musicians
• 0473 / Placebo Effect (2 or 3) / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio that others will complete.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 477 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments