- Yeah, Apple's mail doesn't mark replies consistently, which is why (well, one of the whys) I've used Thunderbird. #
- Ambient music is especially meaningful when perpetrated on tools that were previously relegated to a supporting role. #
- Thunderbird is proving just as (un)stable in OS X Lion as it was in Windows 7. #
- For Black Friday all MP3s in Disquiet.com's Downstream department available for free download. Oh wait, that's true every day. #
- Digital thanks for Soundcloud HTML5 player, genial Twitter correspondence, revival of Delicious, and 15 years of Disquiet. #
- "Audio cassette" jack in back of cash register. http://t.co/GvdPr3kQ #
- Foil on pies in back of car rattling like snare drums. #
- Was thinking my laptop needs a decal. RT @dpnem: Built a Creative Commons Music logo jpg: http://t.co/wmPSEmte , png http://t.co/gN8D8BHH #
- RIP, composer Russell Garcia (b. 1916), who scored Pal's Time Machine (1960) and Atlantis (1961) and arranged Chaplin's Limelight (1953). #
- Thought I could go whole week without writing about Souncloud-hosted track. Foiled again. Happily, thanks to new HTML5 player. #
- 75 years ago today Robert Johnson (in US) & Pablo Casals (in UK) sat down to record; @RadioDiaries has the story: http://t.co/wGDQXkcg #
- Side of van for service handling neighbor's fire-damaged home reads "Like it never happenedÂ®" — I'm living in a PDK novel. #
- Both comforted and discomforted that Thunderbird crashes just as often in OS X Lion as in Windows 7. #
- Great @notrobwalker piece on Smule music apps: named for Asimov, bigger than pop charts, deeply "liberal arts + tech": http://t.co/8rUmbDrC #
- RIP, avant-guitarist Hans Reichel (b. 1949), inventor of the daxophone: evrad.io/voekwo (via @pheezy @pmarg) #
- "The ambient quiet allows you to pick up tremors of deep dread": @nytimesarts on Cronenberg's “A Dangerous Method." Next: Cosmopolis's Satie #
- RIP, Syd Cain (b. 1918), movie production designer. Developed gadgets for early James Bond films, worked on Fahrenheit 451. #
- In L.A. area? Steve Roden has Pasadena sound installation using JPL & ionosphere tapes thru Jan 11, 2012 http://t.co/HOfOpIwt #
- Discussing the classical origins of drones with @operafella, starting with Perotin: http://t.co/3jLIzcLc #
- The Unsilent Night MP3 download page randomly selects which of the four variations you'll receive: http://t.co/YHrndgmK #
- Cities with Unsilent Night for 1st time this year: Austin; Edmonton; Jackson, MS; Mobile; Portland, OR; Seattle; Silver Spring, MD; Toronto. #
- Always looking forward to black metal Friday. #
- The word formulation "holidaze" like linguistic napalm. #
- If you are interested in helping set up a Los Angeles date for Unsilent Night, lemme know, and let @UnsilentTweet know. #
- Oh, and Unsilent Night is on Twitter, for all your secular-wassailing needs: @UnsilentTweet #
- Solid video-game-score recommendations. RT @compactrobot: @disquiet these were good http://t.co/07dGQXUS, http://t.co/Z3hOKAdq #
- This year's supposed to be coming-out part for video-game music at Grammy Awards. Wondering what'll be nominated on 11/30. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco on a cold day through closed windows. #
- Among @idelsohnsociety events is live Steve Berlin (Los Lobos) score to Grigori Roshal's 1928 film His Excellency (Yevo Prevoshoditelstvo). #
- Throughout December I'm helping @idelsohnsociety with Outer Mission pop-up store/venue. If you're in #415 follow @idelsohnsociety for news. #
- Unsilent Night will be on Dec. 17, 2011, in San Francisco. Global chedule is accumulating here: http://t.co/oKBecbHH #
- Haptic sound = feeling vibrations from speakers that are underneath keyboard in Macbook Air http://t.co/oc44nJng #
- Macbook sounds great through stereo, running via Edirol UA-25ex. #
- Great to see @soundcloud pushing itself as being about "sound" (not "just 'music'"). Always in the name. Now, more and more, in the message. #
- Finding lingering document in rarely used scanner feels like, as a teen, finding stray yarmulke in suit-jacket pocket. #
- Starting Dec 1, I will be engaging in a serious culling of the PR email that I receive. We'll see how that goes. #
- A drummer named Motian. Always felt like something out of Dickens, especially after he declined to travel. #
- RIP, drummer Paul Motian (b. 1931): colleague of Bill Evans, Bley, Frisell, Jarrett; ECM mainstay (via @pheezy) #
- iOS sound-apps update: Thicket is now ThicketClassic; new app due out. Also, Falling Stars has fixed saving option. #
- "The voice of this cloudy air": A daily comic, its text drawn (so to speak) from Thoreau, by @madinkbeard http://t.co/iY6zMkse #
- More prominent was tangential sound: chainsaws, water, beeping, chatter. RT @mrgavinedwards: @disquiet But what does the fire sound like? #
- Often as not, the best moments in a minimal techno track occur during the track's first few seconds. #
- House across street on fire. Four firetrucks, as many emergency vehicles. Fireman on adjacent roof using chainsaw to get to smoke's source. #
- That alarming moment when firetrucks appear to be slowing down, not passing by. #
- Got the next Sketches of Sound pieces (Disquiet's 20th such monthly entry), from @bartalos. Tremendous drawings of bicycle horns. Up soon. #
- I used to DJ on KDVS, Davis' college station. Thinking back to my old shows. Don't know if people get what a placid town Davis is. Or was. #
- That moment in the day when you have a sense of what your dreams will be about. RT @vuzhmusic: @disquiet I am imagining a click-tesseract. #
- The click is a pixel tall, and a pixel wide, and a pixel deep. #
- Thunder and wild geese overhead. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0472 / Jam Time (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0471 / Phase Transition / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0470 / Calendar View / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0469 / [Missing in Caption] / The Assignment: Make music that pushes the constraints of descriptive television captions.
• 0468 / Mirror Rorrim / The Assignment: Create a new persona for yourself, and record a duet together.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 472 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments