- Haven't watched Boss yet, but just noticed Brian Reitzel does the music. Must check it out. #
- Convinced that due to its digital texture & similar arrangement with original, the Zep cover in Dragon Tattoo is as much a remix as a cover. #
- Instagr/am/bient update: Already have 4 of what's looking like 25 entries. Beautiful stuff so far. Picturesque, you might say. #
- Really confused by the 20k song limit in Google Music. #
- 7:30pm, people. Looking forward to this. RT @UnsilentTweet: Tomorrow night, San Francisco! http://t.co/Qrxv7juq #
- Witnessing far more tablet-reading in public. The fetish has thankfully given way to practical use. #
- [email protected] @telstarlogistic @inceptiontheapp There should be a Buddha Machine of scifi spaceship HVAC/engine drones. in reply to dizzybanjo #
- More to my taste. Thanks. RT @TelstarLogistic: Or, if you prefer to idle with the original Enterprise: http://t.co/4emW5Dji #
- "For Marc: The Next Generation's Enterprise engine noise, looped for 24 hours. http://t.co/UGFczlmq" #EmailOfTheDay #
- Today's when automated PR emails go out wishing us happy holidays before PR folks go on vacation, during which we'll get automated PR emails #
- Spaghetti Eastern: great footage by @mrbiggsdotcom of a Dec 3 synth meet-up in Philadelphia: http://t.co/KOSafBPr #
- Apple outdoes Spinal Tap: its volume goes to 16. Bonus tip to my @TheAtlantic OS X sound design piece: http://t.co/zTAfTYJY Thanks, @linmu. #
- Mexican-American banda group from LA covering "Just Can't Get Enough" is most New Orleans experience I have had since leaving NOLA in 2003. #
- Earplug run before the punk-banda concert. And some pupusas. #
- I have five more @ThisIsMyJam beta invites. You'll need either a Twitter or Facebook account if you want one. Hit me up. #
- A pleasure. You are king of the "colliding banter" genre. RT @alln4tural: more than a handful of listens — must be a @disquiet post. #
- Even if its podcast wasn't great @thetheradius worth observing for how it conducts itself: advance notice, elegant design, clear description #
- Judging by poor showing by political bloggers I follow, presidential primary has been an effective tool to keep SOPA coverage at a minimum. #
- So, #SOPA cures issue of surfing online being "offensive" by drastically reducing attraction of surfing in the first place. #
- Very confused there's a hearing about Portuguese soup. Talk about congressional pork. #
- If @time were a music magazine, the waveform would be the person of the year. #
- 1954 quote from obit: “It has to be a combination of science and showmanship. If there’s a sunrise, we furnish appropriate sunrise music”#
- RIP, Joseph M. Chamberlain (b. 1923), planetarium innovator who appears to have been a godfather of laser light shows: http://t.co/O1ZdkJXr #
- Many thanks. RT @alexismadrigal: On @disquiet's quest to make his already quiet Macbook Air into a silent computer: http://t.co/hhfpwqdC #
- I got a Macbook Air, quietest computer I've used. I tried to make it quieter. Then I wrote about it for @theatlantic: http://t.co/FoZ4E23q #
- Playing with (free) generative iOS app #MonolithLoop before bed. #
- Please consider supporting the great (largely electronic) arts fest @communikey in Boulder: http://t.co/236yPSd3 Tons of cool pledge prizes. #
- Says something about iTunes file management that subculture of intra-app file-sharing is needed. Anyhow http://t.co/Bcn5QttW looks promising #
- Four new/reworked DJ Krush tracks are streaming at the @blasthaus_ site, http://t.co/uOQ7x71C. #
- Fairey fails Turing test, actually an algorithm. RT @Shocklee: Shepard Fairey based TIME cover on LA Weekly photograph: http://t.co/vCmPv6gE #
- The mark of a good bbq place may be that it's proud enough of its food not to feel required to play the blues. #
- It's about gadget, not warez, apparently. And, yes, that's #stupid @mclow @GlennF What about using a voice recorder app on a phone? #
- Pulled over for using phone while driving. But it was voice recorder. Cop said, "You are correct, you know the law." Let me go. #
- Major thanks to http://t.co/8YOl6xOA, developer of my new WordPress theme, a thorough refinement of site's longstanding design #
- Thanks! RT @dizzybanjo: "Listening to art. Playing with audio. Sounding out technology. Composing in code." New disquiet.com motto. Love it! #
- All outta @ThisIsMyJam invites. #
- OK, http://t.co/xdF6qCg1's new theme has launched. Some work ahead, but it's live. I feel like I have a brand new super cool bicycle. #
- When http://t.co/xdF6qCg1's 3.0 theme goes live, I'd appreciate folks letting me know what's broken. Inevitably there will be some cleanup. #
- I have 5 @ThisIsMyJam beta invites. If you want one (you need either Twitter or Facebook to sign up), lemme know. #
- Found myself looking for volume button on microwave to lower sound of reheating Sichuan pork dish. #
- Disquiet 3.0 is still WP. New theme improving on longstanding design. RT @jackshay: @disquiet what made you want to change from WordPress? #
- http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 1.0 was 1996-2007, when it switched from hand-coded HTML to WordPress (Disquiet 2.0). Stripped-down Disquiet 3.0 soon. #
- Shift from http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 2.0 (2007-present) underway. May be some peculiar post formats for a little while. Just part of transition. #
- Working backward, adding pre-web stuff to Disquiet, someday I'll get to my King Crimson Three of a Perfect Pair high-school newspaper review #
- Major progress on design of http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 3.0. It essentially looks the same, just cleaner/simpler. Smoother loading. #
- Parenthood Panopticon: keeping ear and eye on your baby while being, yourself, watched by the eyes of dolls and others toys. #
- The stages of the word "ball" as it develops in mouth and mind of a child: http://t.co/zs5NaT8f via @roberttheakston #
- Performed WSBurroughsian cutup by only reading each page in book until my 15-month-old turned the page: cascade of truncations #
- Thanks. I'll check out this HTML5 player. RT @tones: @disquiet SoundManager is pretty great http://t.co/DnJ2otUy #
- [email protected] How about minus the waveform, just an elegant, easy-to-embed HTML5 audio player. The ones I've tried are all alpha. in reply to tones #
- Really wish there were an open-source HTML5 audio embeddable player half as elegant as the @soundcloud one. #
- Apparently I wandered into Facebook http://t.co/eiEUpmDj #
- The Sims was fun. Minecraft is a lot of fun. Where is the game where you just make a single fat pixel? #
- At 15 months, my kid says many specific words. What's confusing is these include "buh" (book), "boh" (bowl), "bah" (ball) & "bih" (bird). #
- Nice way to start the day: news of a new, self-released Funki Porcini album: http://t.co/AcelkD1w #
- "'Drive' is the year’s best long-form music video. That score! Ambient murder-drone and wineglass-rim whine." That's @pappademas in @nytimes #
- We're now getting started on Stage 2 of Instagr/am/bient: images have been distributed to musicians. Tracks due back by Christmas Eve. #
- Just saw Dengue Fever at Tikva Records. My interview with Zac Holtzman touches on Cambodian/Sephardic modal parallels: http://t.co/MDT3MRwK #
- The SSD effect: annoyed by wife's laptop's hard drive and fan. #
- Playing my kid the Schoolhouse Rock song about how bills get made. It was a lot more fun before, well, before I knew anything. #
- You're right. I'd respond more but I try not to tweet about Twitter. #echo RT @GlennF: Twitter is the string and it thinks it’s the tin can. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments