- There are 13 duets for fog horn and steam whistle in the Junto, and midnight Monday, the deadline, is a long way away: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 14 = Instagr/am/bient Track 14 = @atlastop's rendering of an @instagram by @mapmap : http://t.co/UQhCnz1W #
- All but 2 Instagr/am/bient tracks have over 300 plays on @soundcloud. One has over 3,500. Three others have over 1,000: http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- RIP, prolific Japanese composer Sadao Bekku (b. 1922), whose work included the score to Matango (aka Attack of the Mushroom People). #
- Already 7 duets for fog horn & train whistle in second Junto. Looking forward to new ones between now & midnight Monday http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 13 = Instagr/am/bient Track 13 = @markrushtoncom's sonic "floatation tank" inspired by Oootini's @instagram: http://t.co/Hs3wcUc4 #
- "post processing was extensive": @atlastop on his Instagr/am/bient track: http://t.co/gSa80oNc #
- Noon bells against the brakes of an 18-wheeler making a sudden stop. #
- Prong to play Fullerton, Sacramento, Santa Clara & Fresno but not San Francisco. Any number of its song titles encapsulate my disappointment #
- A helpful description by @jbutlerjbutler about his contribution to the first Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/lj0FCoBi #
- Yes, for Disquiet Junto 2 just use those two sounds. RT @gesslr: Does that mean the only *sounds* in the piece are based on those 2 samples #
- Woke to three tracks in the just announced Disquiet Junto #2 http://t.co/b3zkjOoh #foghorn #trainwhistle #
- Disquiet Junto #2 "Duet for Fog Horn & Train Whistle." Horn: http://t.co/yoQPZq7l Whistle: http://t.co/OhrwFTq3 Info: http://t.co/DcE5w7zf #
- You're on the list until you request not to be. RT @_muncky: if one signs up for #junto is it necessary to sign up each week? #
- 2nd Disquiet Junto to be announced shortly. Track due by midnight Monday. (Send me your email for details. Or read: http://t.co/DcE5w7zf.) #
- Jan 12 = Instagr/am/bient Track 12 = @warrencraghead collated field recordings to respond to @orangecookie's @instagram http://t.co/NsxMZ2z9 #
- If you do Facebook, there's a Disquiet page: http://t.co/vEwdbjEe. It's not as natural to me as Twitter, but conversations do occur. #
- PR emails announcing "new album title revealed" exist to demarcate the bottom threshold of information. #
- Me, too. Sorting out details (assignment, FAQ revisions). RT @gesslr: @disquiet – anxiously awaiting the next in the #junto series. #
- An email in which the inadvertently embedded raw .ics data includes the phrase "CALSCALE:GREGORIAN" feels very Anathem. #
- Jan 11 = Instagr/am/bient Track 11 = @jbutlerjbutler at the sonic crack of dawn thanks to an @instagram by @stijnhuwels http://t.co/iqpOS7V2 #
- Belated: Jan 10 = Instagr/am/bient Track 10 = @pheezy sight-reading a graphic-score @instagram by @betteroffted http://t.co/Bteg15yX #
- Morning music: 8-artist Disquiet.com project due for release soon. After open-ended @Instagram/Junto, a return to concise curatorial mode. #
- I don't write a lot about music/sound from Portugal, Russia, & China just because I hope to figure out a reason to travel there. Not just. #
- Judging by his song titles, the talented Justin Hardison is doing the "track a day" thing at his @soundcloud account: http://t.co/BGvvhvhA #
- Promised I'd write about more commercial music in 2012 than I did in '11. Things like new Bacanal Intruder make it easy http://t.co/bOAWSMxN #
- The second or third rule of being a parent: talk with other parents. Good time spent with @richardnixon and clan this past week. #
- Pondering projects for next Disquiet Junto communal music endeavor. Many ideas, but which to go with for our second outing? #
- Where's Waldo? RT @cinchel: listening to submissions in @disquiet Junto http://t.co/E2lJOh30 sometimes hard to find ice sample. kinda fun. #
- Probably sounds unlikely given how quickly Disquiet Junto followed up Instagr/am/bient, but 8-artist Disquiet project due soon. Details TK. #
- As midnight nears, tracks pop up in the Disquiet Junto from Sedona, Oakland, and Chicago: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Two hours until midnight, and there's 49 tracks added to http://t.co/anQFre9l since Friday. Crazy. Much more music ahead. #
- Not gonna sleep until I hear this. RT @whyarcka: currently making music out of ice in a glass for @disquiet – junto –> http://t.co/E2lJOh30 #
- Just sent an email to Disquiet Junto members. If you didn't get it & want it send me your email address. http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- For the record, was referring to pledge-reward hijinks. :) RT @mlaffs: @disquiet described @kickstarter as "the garage sale of our times" #
- Watched enough of NBC's The Firm to note it dispenses, sadly, with the piano-only approach that made Dave Grusin's original score unique. #
- Instagr/am/bient update: track by @pheezy got airplay on @wfmu today: http://t.co/hezzmceD #
- Rough = good. Disquiet Junto is process, not finished work. RT @ambienteer piece is a little rough around the edges but it was fun making it #
- Commenting's been unexpectedly strong. RT @benjamindauer: Thanks everyone who listened/commented on my Junto submission http://t.co/Om79tNcF #
- Jan 09 = Instagr/am/bient Track 09 = @jredsmyth turns @benjamindauer's watery @instagram into lovely ebb and flow http://t.co/9t76LtZP #
- Woke to 40 tracks in Disquiet Junto communal sound project: goo.gl/beBDB. 1st session ends midnight tonight. 2nd starts this Thursday night. #
- Jan 8 = Instagr/am/bient Track 8 = earsmack's take on a Ronny Nibblets @instagram: http://t.co/YL26M5Yy #
- Into coding, not codification. #
- What a title. RT @sunhammer just uploaded my song for @disquiet junto, '"Please don't cast Ice Cube in Friday" – Jon Hamm' snd.sc/xmaI9i #
- Drinking my morning iced coffee while listening to the 24 (!) tracks that have accumulated in the first Disquiet Junto @soundcloud project. #
- Thanks for joining in drone-tastically. RT @resonantstrata: Audio: my contribution to the latest @disquiet project http://t.co/yqFscuF7 #
- RIP, Japanese composer Hikaru Hayashi (b. 1931), whose film work included Voice Without a Shadow, Death by Hanging, and The Naked Island. #
- RIP, Tom Ardolino (b. 1955), drummer for NRBQ. #
- Thanks for additional context. RT @markrushtoncom: thoughts on track Bruises for @disquiet junto "Ice" http://t.co/aw6OUaP5 #disquietjunto #
- Exited plane at SFO from LAX to find 14 tracks of music made from ice in 1st Disquiet Junto session: http://t.co/caq3cfDh #
- Very much looking forward. RT @ambienteer: Making weird noises with ice cubes and glass… #
- The fuzzy, distorting amplifiers at Virgin America LAX are designed to promote a riot mentality among its boarding passengers. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0494 / Insect Menagerie / The Assignment: Record a 20-second clip of the sounds of an insect that you yourself have invented.
• 0493 / AudioCorrect / The Assignment: Think about the utility and the useful failures inherent in autocorrect and apply this to your music.
• 0492 / Kintsugi Rework / The Assignment: Employ the Japanese technique of mending broken ceramics as a metaphor for remixing.
• 0491 / Footsteps Sequencer / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music structured upon a walk through your home.
• 0490 / In Conversation / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music structured like dialog.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 494 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments