- RIP, church organist Gerre Hancock (b. 1934). On mastering his instrument: "Coordination is key. But so are earplugs." http://t.co/D21x1Mnw #
- Good use of "also": "[T]hey found a computer monitor and 2 video surveillance cameras. They also located a large amount of methamphetamine." #
- Dean Westerfield posted a comic of his I edited back in 1997, about a concert from five years earlier: http://t.co/BDpIRJtC #
- Already 7 @mapmap remixes at http://t.co/anQFre9l, all sharing the same 10 core audio samples, and we're barely a day in. #
- Senior citizen who complained loudly in cafe about loud babies now on cellphone. Prediction: Will criticize loud typing. #
- Senior citizen complaining loudly in cafe about how loud babies can be. #
- Love that this site sells the 97 super-brief tracks of Aidan Baker's The Spectrum of Distraction album for $.09 each: http://t.co/DZ0gM32p #
- Mailman back online. First http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 email newsletter of 2012 sent out. If you thought you should get it and didn't, lemme know. #
- The sampled speaks. RT @mapmap: @stringbot @disquiet do it!!! You have my blessing ;) #
- Tear the roof off. RT @stringbot: Who thinks I should drop some bass in this weekend's @disquiet track? #
- Good redundancy: multiple data backups. Bad redundancy: being told a site is inaccessible due to a "degradation of service." #
- Politics damages music. Exhibit A: Diego Bernal has released no music since election to San Antonio City Council. Our loss, his city's gain. #
- RIP, Clare Fischer (b. 1928), who did arrangements for Prince, Sérgio Mendes, JoÃ£o Gilberto, and others. #pensativa #
- We've got fog horns, on a sunny day. #
- Nice! Ice! RT @mrgavinedwards: I'm not tailoring my photo selection for @disquiet. It just feels that way: http://t.co/xEgKWvPl #
- Most obnoxious headline of the day goes to @artinfodotcom: "Lou Reed Tries to Pass Off Failed Album as Art": http://t.co/Z4Fen7cc #
- There's only one netlabel geocoded as Chinese (+ 2 Taiwan, 1 Hong Kong) in catalog at @dpnem's http://t.co/tTZFsXam. How is this possible? #
- Already two entries in @mapmap remix Disquiet Junto project, one each from @webbedhand & @markrushtoncom: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Apparently I was either the 999th or 1000th person to "like" restingbell dot net on Facebook. Eagerly awaiting its first release of 2012. #
- They have proven to be a renewable resource. RT @aoscrowley: @disquiet Heard the fog horns today. The #conspiracy must have failed. #
- The 4th Disquiet Junto project is a remix of a track off the new album by @mapmap, aka Marcus Fischer: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Next Disquiet Junto project to be announced momentarily. #
- #overheard #macworld #iworld "I've never been convinced people are married to their media player." #
- May need to join Habanero Anonyous. #
- Noon bells seem to fade into the fog as they decay. #
- Hoping to make the Andrea Williams / Jen Boyd show tonight at Luggage Store Gallery in San Francisco: 8pm, 1007 Market. #
- Being followed by lots of bots that have yet to tweet: PTSD flashbacks to the CGI droid army assembling in Phantom Menace. #
- Increasingly convinced this year's Oscar nominations for best score are a retrograde corrective to last year's Reznor/Ross win. #
- The one good thing about all the PR-spam I get is that it suggests there, somewhere, is an idiot-proof alternative to Mailman. #
- I'll go with "unfortunate" + "looking for inexpensive alternative." RT @GlennF: @disquiet It's mailman. That's not weird at all. #
- Ready to send first http://t.co/xdF6qCg1 email newsletter of the year but my Mailman install isn't working. Weird. #gnu #sad #
- There's an email announcement list for Disquiet Junto; let me know if you want on. Also look to Info tab on Soundcloud page. Cc @dtauvdiodr in reply to dtauvdiodr #
- OK, about 24 hours until announcement of next Disquiet Junto project: a remix based on a set of shared samples. #
- All but 4 Instagr/am/bient tracks at over 400 @soundcloud listens. Top one over 4,000. #instagram #crazy http://t.co/I0nPVLla #
- Thanks for reviving Kikapu, one of the earliest netlabels. RT @emarg0ed: @disquiet hey thanks for the plug on disquiet. #
- I'll collect these in a post shortly. RT @robotdancerobot: process post about making of piece for @disquiet junto 3: http://t.co/1WPcaxk7 #
- Jan 25 = Instagr/am/bient Track 25 = Christopher Olson's rendition of an @instagram by @ooray: http://t.co/MO8IW4FQ #
- Belated: Jan 24 = Instagr/am/bient Track 24 = @naotko's rendition of an @instagram by Christopher Olson http://t.co/7YW3SUU6 #
- There should be a movie that's just Gary Oldman and Ewan McGregor doing Alec Guinness impressions. #
- 32 tracks in Junto project 3. Project 4 TBA Thursday. It's a remix affair with lovely source material: http://t.co/caq3cfDh #
- Advice from coffee bean exporters to ambient/drone musicians. http://t.co/kubvQJFW #
- A well-loved keyboard. http://t.co/0y9xDd4V #
- Great. Such constraints are what the Junto is all about. RT @nofi: @disquiet Glad I could this week. I'm enjoying the creative constraints. #
- Deleted 2 tracks that appeared on Disquiet Junto @soundcloud page. Why would someone associate tracks that have nothing to do with a group? #
- Are the Oscar nominees for best score a reaction to last year's win for Reznor/Ross. I mean, two John Williams nominations? #
- Next one's 8 letters. RT @subnaughtsounds: just noticed the name of each @disquiet junto project is one letter longer than the one before :) #
- I worried first "live" Junto would fall on its face but with hours to go there are 30 (!) "expanded glass harp" pieces: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- RIP, Siri's grandfather, aka Dick Tufeld (b. 1926), aka the robot's voice on Lost in Space. #
- 26 tracks in latest Junto. 3 new ones from @ambienteer (Guildford, Surrey) @oootini (Dublin) @jonautry (Brooklyn): http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Jan 23 = Instagr/am/bient Track 23 = XYZR_KX's take on an @instagram by @earsmack: http://t.co/LUGI6Tv4 #
- Firecrackers rattle and resound on the way to Sichuan lunch. #
- Tremendous. RT @falsereactions: Wow. My contribution to the 'Instagr/am/bient' comp broke 1,000 plays: http://t.co/O8cooMYZ #
- 2 more "expanded glass harp" works: @markrushton (Iowa City) & Junto first-timer @ElstPizarro (Paris): soundcloud.com/groups/disquiet-junto #
- Jan 22 = Instagr/am/bient Track 22 = @_muncky's take on an @instagram by @pheezy: http://t.co/i6MF8eCi #
- Full day still to go, and there are 20 live "expanded glass harp" recordings at http://t.co/anQFre9l. Latest from @hecanjog #
- RIP, experimental filmmaker Robert Nelson (b. 1930): http://t.co/WKV3OC7D #
- Sound-related terms learned recently from other fields: "first crack" (coffee-roasting stage); "base/heart/top notes" (perfumery elements). #
- Oh, that's what that is. @otologist: My entry to the latest @disquiet missive, using a snifter filled with satan juice. http://t.co/4gtBHpYb #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• Autumn, 2019: I'll have a new piece in The Wire.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• March 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0420 / Luna Tick / The Assignment: Make music that proceeds according to the phases of the moon, in celebration of Lunar New Year.
• 0419 / Dischoir / The Assignment: Make music from 100+ vocal samples of held syllables by members of the Disquiet Junto.
• 0418 / Ice-Nine / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it.
• 0417 / Changes Tracker / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0416 / Time Laps / The Assignment: Improvise successive layers, each time reversing the previous layer.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 420 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments
Nathan Richards: "Great Post ! "
Patrick Glynn: "Hello, I’m looking forward to hearing what you’ve been listening to. Thanks, Patrick "
Michael Mennell: "ok, glad I could help. Do you have a link to that MicroFreak video btw? I had posted it to our..."
Michael: "Yesterday, this post had a video (mistakenly?) linked at the top featuring a MicroFreak. What was that?..."
Marc Arsenault: "Are you saying, it’s like a smurf’s arm with a plum in its fist? "