- I like that my local movie theater is three years older than the Academy Awards: http://t.co/5QAGvgUR #
- It is an 88 bpm afternoon. #
- We have our 100th contributor. Welcome. RT @mGeeInThePlace: My first #musicmonday release in a while. Check it out now http://t.co/8laR0q5D #
- San Francisco reminder. If you live here, or visit, and like outward bound music, this is your social calendar: http://t.co/eI6cDG2C #
- Wondering how things would have worked out differently had it been called CUF music instead of IDM. #ClubUnFriendly #
- It is very Instagram out. I will need to use my umbrella filter when it’s lunch time. #
- Already one track in 6th Disquiet Junto, making music from antique Edison cylinders: http://t.co/rcThMsMD. Join/info: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- The 6th weekly Disquiet Junto project begins: create something new from samples of antique Edison cylinder recordings: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Just a reminder: if you do the Facebook, there’s a Disquiet-dot-com page for that: http://t.co/DNmSGwqD #
- Next Disquiet Junto project announced in a few minutes. We’re working from semi-ancient audio this time around. #
- Enthused that @demilit took a moment off from his assault on Ender’s DARPA to share affection for Amon Tobin. #
- Distant police siren on a sunny day. #
- In a word, yow. This Amon Tobin box set looks pretty amazing: http://t.co/ZUfRKlrm #
- I love my neighborhood. RT @richmondsfblog: Richmond District has 6 of 10 spots on SFWeekly top dim sum list, incl. #1 http://t.co/4mFBayeh #
- Thanks! RT @iamseams: Had a great chat with @disquiet about music, noise, the Internet and @SoundCloud, for a podcast. Now, on to the edit! #
- #dronelife RT @cjherbert Listening on headphones: “that sounds great” only to discover it was muffled washing machine in background #
- Thunderbird is getting all crashy again in OS X Lion. #
- Being surrounded by orthopedist-convention attendees in downtown SF is like being in a short story David Foster Wallace never got to write. #
- Final plans being set for 6th Disquiet Junto, TBA late in the day Thursday. Project almost certainly involves a shared sample. #
- Haunted by the image of a tombstone on which it reads, simply, “Commented on his own photo.” #
- The RIAA OpEd at http://t.co/OYVBPOyn reads like the sort of thing an editor doesn’t edit to let its author have all the rope in the world. #
- And then, in closing, it demeans “rhetoric.” What is an OpEd other than an exercise in rhetoric? #
- It says that if the government censors something it by definition isn’t censorship. #
- It tries to conflate a search engine and an encyclopedia with an Internet service provider. #
- Peculiarly weak, and belated, OpEd from RIAA to SOPA/PIPA fail: http://t.co/OYVBPOyn #
- Street sounds. #415 http://t.co/8PDhjmQ0 #
- Sutro Tower: monument to context. I wouldn’t support its construction if it didn’t exist but now would protest its destruction. #
- I admire and use BART, but it does sound like we hear the damned screaming in otherworldly torment from below. #
- Walter Isaacson likes lists even more than Don DeLillo does. #
- Night sounds: refrigerator, passing cars. #
- The video bonus entries in this week’s Junto have been great. I will collate them in a post in the next day or so. #
- About 6 hours left in 5th Junto and we welcome contributor 99: Kate Carr of @flamingpines. Hear her “Desktop Beat Box” http://t.co/qnTipyHx #
- Yeah, indoor/night/dark I’m good at. Daytime/outdoors, considerably less so. RT @carlstone: @disquiet But have you been to the Audium yet? #
- Moved to Northern California from Brooklyn in 1989, and I finally get to the SF Wave Organ: http://t.co/4YFAl7IG #
- When doing a Junto project on “layering reality,” it doesn’t hurt to have the CCO of @rjdj (aka @dizzybanjo) join in: http://t.co/abFTuVa2 #
- The one good thing about Virgin’s hold music is it makes me feel like I’m already in Miami. #
- Church bells briefly convince me it’s an hour and thirty five minutes later than it actually is. #
- Woke to 4 “layered reality” Junto MP3s (19 total). Enjoyable to read a track’s info for what’s “nature” vs. “layered”: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Intense drone from soda fridge at cafe definitely makes the fusoid jazz not only more palatable but almost interesting. #almost #
- [email protected] Modern pop music is as airbrushed as modern advertising. Some artists make creative use of the airbrush but it’s still an airbrush. in reply to GlennF #
- So artists have plausible denial to mask inabilities. RT @GlennF: Why does SNL have such terrible, miking/monitoring for singers/bands? #
- Crown Point Press has an exhibit of John Cage etchings up through March 31: http://t.co/vZm4y36T #415 #
- Disquiet Junto now 1 shy of 200th track and 10 shy of 100th actively contributing member, all in less than 1 month: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Generally disdain ringtones, but that brass band just now was a fun surprise. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments