- I like that my local movie theater is three years older than the Academy Awards: http://t.co/5QAGvgUR #
- It is an 88 bpm afternoon. #
- We have our 100th contributor. Welcome. RT @mGeeInThePlace: My first #musicmonday release in a while. Check it out now http://t.co/8laR0q5D #
- San Francisco reminder. If you live here, or visit, and like outward bound music, this is your social calendar: http://t.co/eI6cDG2C #
- Wondering how things would have worked out differently had it been called CUF music instead of IDM. #ClubUnFriendly #
- It is very Instagram out. I will need to use my umbrella filter when it’s lunch time. #
- Already one track in 6th Disquiet Junto, making music from antique Edison cylinders: http://t.co/rcThMsMD. Join/info: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- The 6th weekly Disquiet Junto project begins: create something new from samples of antique Edison cylinder recordings: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Just a reminder: if you do the Facebook, there’s a Disquiet-dot-com page for that: http://t.co/DNmSGwqD #
- Next Disquiet Junto project announced in a few minutes. We’re working from semi-ancient audio this time around. #
- Enthused that @demilit took a moment off from his assault on Ender’s DARPA to share affection for Amon Tobin. #
- Distant police siren on a sunny day. #
- In a word, yow. This Amon Tobin box set looks pretty amazing: http://t.co/ZUfRKlrm #
- I love my neighborhood. RT @richmondsfblog: Richmond District has 6 of 10 spots on SFWeekly top dim sum list, incl. #1 http://t.co/4mFBayeh #
- Thanks! RT @iamseams: Had a great chat with @disquiet about music, noise, the Internet and @SoundCloud, for a podcast. Now, on to the edit! #
- #dronelife RT @cjherbert Listening on headphones: “that sounds great” only to discover it was muffled washing machine in background #
- Thunderbird is getting all crashy again in OS X Lion. #
- Being surrounded by orthopedist-convention attendees in downtown SF is like being in a short story David Foster Wallace never got to write. #
- Final plans being set for 6th Disquiet Junto, TBA late in the day Thursday. Project almost certainly involves a shared sample. #
- Haunted by the image of a tombstone on which it reads, simply, “Commented on his own photo.” #
- The RIAA OpEd at http://t.co/OYVBPOyn reads like the sort of thing an editor doesn’t edit to let its author have all the rope in the world. #
- And then, in closing, it demeans “rhetoric.” What is an OpEd other than an exercise in rhetoric? #
- It says that if the government censors something it by definition isn’t censorship. #
- It tries to conflate a search engine and an encyclopedia with an Internet service provider. #
- Peculiarly weak, and belated, OpEd from RIAA to SOPA/PIPA fail: http://t.co/OYVBPOyn #
- Street sounds. #415 http://t.co/8PDhjmQ0 #
- Sutro Tower: monument to context. I wouldn’t support its construction if it didn’t exist but now would protest its destruction. #
- I admire and use BART, but it does sound like we hear the damned screaming in otherworldly torment from below. #
- Walter Isaacson likes lists even more than Don DeLillo does. #
- Night sounds: refrigerator, passing cars. #
- The video bonus entries in this week’s Junto have been great. I will collate them in a post in the next day or so. #
- About 6 hours left in 5th Junto and we welcome contributor 99: Kate Carr of @flamingpines. Hear her “Desktop Beat Box” http://t.co/qnTipyHx #
- Yeah, indoor/night/dark I’m good at. Daytime/outdoors, considerably less so. RT @carlstone: @disquiet But have you been to the Audium yet? #
- Moved to Northern California from Brooklyn in 1989, and I finally get to the SF Wave Organ: http://t.co/4YFAl7IG #
- When doing a Junto project on “layering reality,” it doesn’t hurt to have the CCO of @rjdj (aka @dizzybanjo) join in: http://t.co/abFTuVa2 #
- The one good thing about Virgin’s hold music is it makes me feel like I’m already in Miami. #
- Church bells briefly convince me it’s an hour and thirty five minutes later than it actually is. #
- Woke to 4 “layered reality” Junto MP3s (19 total). Enjoyable to read a track’s info for what’s “nature” vs. “layered”: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Intense drone from soda fridge at cafe definitely makes the fusoid jazz not only more palatable but almost interesting. #almost #
- .@GlennF Modern pop music is as airbrushed as modern advertising. Some artists make creative use of the airbrush but it’s still an airbrush. in reply to GlennF #
- So artists have plausible denial to mask inabilities. RT @GlennF: Why does SNL have such terrible, miking/monitoring for singers/bands? #
- Crown Point Press has an exhibit of John Cage etchings up through March 31: http://t.co/vZm4y36T #415 #
- Disquiet Junto now 1 shy of 200th track and 10 shy of 100th actively contributing member, all in less than 1 month: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Generally disdain ringtones, but that brass band just now was a fun surprise. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice