- December and January are the only two months of the year when no one sends out emails about what they (1) are going to do / (2) did at SXSW. #
- Dear Hive: Any good simple OS X database applications? Bento’ been getting less-than-stellar reviews. (Trying to track Junto participation.) #
- “The faintest sound, whatever it is, / Seems to be speaking to me.” -Fernando Pessoa #
- “If I could only wrest from music the secret / Timbre of its shout” -Fernando Pessoa #
- Was not aware there would be Amon Tobin in Pina until I was watching it. #
- 20 tracks in Junto 7 in under 24 hours on @soundcloud. Lesson: narrower the rules, more varied the approaches. #oulipo #
- Kudos to Dave Grohl for clarifying his Grammy spiel: “Electronic or acoustic, it doesn’t matter to me.” And long live two-inch tape. #
- Seeing Pina today. #
- Carving the sound of water: Already 14 tracks, including 2 first-timers’, in new Junto. They can only remove, not add: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- New bio sentence: “He lives in San Francisco in a neighborhood whose soundmarks include persistent seasonal fog horns from the nearby bay.” #
- Something up, which to say down, with @SoundCloud at the moment. #
- Discussion: what is/isn’t “removing” sound in sculptural synthesis: “minute particles … added to a marble sculpture: http://t.co/WRFtIOta #
- The 7th Disquiet Junto’s theme is “Subtraction and Sculpting.” Details here: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Deadline: midnight, Feb 20. #
- The next Disquiet Junto project (disquiet0007-subtract) will be announced momentarily. #
- RT @thejorgecolombo: My 2009 exhibition, based on Fernando Pessoa poems, inspired a music project, LX(RMX) (http://t.co/GuNvGHKF). #
- This week’s Disquiet Junto project will involve subtracting (rather than adding or otherwise altering) pre-existing sound. #
- OK, the math-test for comments is now functioning again at Disquiet dot com. Once again, 3 + 8 = 11, etc. #relief #
- Arithmetic-test comment-spam blocker currently malfunctioning on http://t.co/xdF6qCg1. Back up (or turned off) shortly. #
- Talked with @christofmigone yesterday about science-fiction skies, sound art for the deaf, and blurring lines between curation and creation. #
- Guy in library rapaciously ripping opera CDs. (Not me.) #
- Most valuable IM abbreviation: WTAHK (wasn’t typing; accidentally hit keyboard). #
- The gap after a call unexpectedly ends due to technical reasons, and the two participants second guess each other as to who will call back. #
- “A Working Plain”by Y?Arcka is my new jam. ♫ http://t.co/dayIbw35”¦ #thisismyjam #
- First time in two years I’m not consumed by a music-commissioning project. Will act soon on several ideas. Right now? Enjoying clean slate. #
- Up in Sonoma for the day. Didn’t feel the earthquake a minute ago, just north of Point Reyes: http://t.co/frlJYULC #
- Confront “game-cloning” by using another term: game-laming, game-flailing, game-weaky. “Company Z has a department focused on game-weaky.” #
- Between @freemusicarchiv & @soundcloud, LX(RMX) Fernando Pessoa project had 1,200+ listens & 300+ downloads in 1st 24 hours. #
- RT @mmaddencomics: Sometimes I think I like TV sci-fi just because I’m addicted to the lulling, humming background noise onboard spaceships. #
- It’s a good thing most political blogs don’t acknowledge they are acts of speculative fiction, because it would sully the term. #
- Major thanks to @boondesign for continued design excellence, most recently for LX(RMX), photographs by @thejorgecolombo http://t.co/rvl1o9wt #
- Interview with @sunhammer at @percussionlab (http://t.co/pPxnlzeM) mentions Junto: “pushing my boundaries every week”; “huge creative spark” #
- If you want to be on the weekly email list for Disquiet Junto project announcements, pass me your address. Next one goes out in 24 hours. #
- Thank you! RT @mariplasma: Audio homage to Fernando Pessoa I contributed to http://t.co/8QPgpZP9. thanks for the inspiring project @disquiet #
- Noon bells filtered through layers of buildings and bodies and sound and action. #
- Man, first time at my local dim sum place when school was out for lunch. That was out of control, and a lot of fun. #
- Useful addendum to my @theatlantic piece. RT @osxdaily: Set the Volume Level to a Hidden Ultra Low Setting in Mac OS X: http://t.co/W7NNjAs7 #
- Indeed, to have one’s career become synonymous with a virtual stickpin. RT @demilit: @disquiet imagine how pissed curators are. in reply to demilit #
- The set of remixed field recordings I commissioned in tribute to Fernando Pessoa’s many personalities: http://t.co/d0XtNBuS #
- I generally don’t say “curate” because the word now just means “stuff I found.” #
- “radiohead quietstorm”: put @diplo‘s 2-word summary of his @UsherRaymondIV track in the next Year’s Best Music Writing: http://t.co/OgnsXswi #
- I last interviewed Markus Popp (aka Oval) in 1996. Just this morning finally interviewed him for a second time. #
- RIP, jazz pianist Jodie Christian (b. 1932), a cofounder of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM). #
- Amazing year already for many reasons, and I still can’t believe Instagr/am/bient’s opening track has been listened to over 4,500 times. #
- Focusing on Junto 7. Do we make physical instruments, salvage archival material, remix existing tracks, play with found sound? TBA Thursday. #
- In which 8 (or 16?) musicians remix the sounds of Lisbon, inspired by Fernando Pessoa & @thejorgecolombo: http://t.co/AwamjOWd #
- A long time coming. Finally releasing large-scale music set inspired by Fernando Pessoa, whose Book of Disquiet gave my site its name. #
- Uploading tracks to @freemusicarchiv for the first time. #
- New Disquiet commission project LX(RMX): #soon #lisbon #pessoa #sonic #geography #identity #ambient #photography #desassossego #
- Tuesday noon siren seemed oddly serrated today. #
- A weird number of font people are RTing me today, so I will take the opportunity to express my writerly affection for Menlo and Consolas. #
- Ghost-production #protip courtesy of: RT @whyarcka: “produced by” and “beat by” will help to determine whether the producer was there or not #
- infilldelity (n): Adding unnecessary features to software. Cluttering under the guise of improving. #
- Does GamaDaily set a time for its daily email, or does someone just wait until a couple minutes after the IndustryGamers email goes out? #
- The new Twitter is a fascinating example of making something complicated out of something simple. #
- There should be a @thisismyjam for the name of imaginary band in which you’re currently a member. Mine now: Burrito Stump. #
- Edith Eisler, my friend, died last July. She’d have turned 87 today. I wrote this when she passed: http://t.co/f0iY7Upw #
- Congrats/thanks to contributors to Junto 6 (now over) in which they remixed Edison cylinders: 56 tracks, 14 1st-timers: http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- Goodnight, noises everywhere. #
- Home/Connect/Discover: Noun/Verb/Verb. Connect = people already connected to? Discover = things not interested in? I don’t grok new Twitter. #
- Wonderful if it is. RT @stevesilberman: Fellow #SF dwellers: I hope this is true! [via @clarajeffery] http://t.co/chQ41YGU #
- Disquiet Junto is 2 tracks from 300th in its 1st 6 weeks of existence. Thanks to all involved: musicians, listeners, and musician-listeners. #
- Noon bell hits like a hammer on an anvil. #
- Going to publish weekly Junto projects in multiple languages. French & Spanish translators volunteered. Lemme know if you’re up to help. #
- Still half a day to go and there are almost 50 entries, including those of 14 1st-timers, in the Edison-cylinder Junto: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Thanks to Junto 1st-timer: RT @iamseams: really enjoyed making my entry; you were right, very freeing! Fastest start to online satisfaction. #
- Thinking about posting Junto projects in multiple languages. If you’re multi-lingual & can commit to pitching in, lemme know. #
- Dave Grohl’s Grammy spiel, condensed. RT @GlennF: @disquiet FUTURE HAS ARRIVED AND I’M LIVING IN A FAKE VERSION OF THE PAST. #
- Got home to 35 tracks now in the ongoing Junto, including ones from 11 first-time contributors: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Loved seeing opposed responses to Grohl’s rockist/technophobic Grammy comment appear in a row from @compactrobot and @kozinn. #
- HUD premonition: Took off my glasses before taking shower and briefly wondered, “Where again do I plug in these to recharge?” #
- Overwhelming need to listen to Ginger Baker’s Horses and Trees. #
- The Grey is pretty good. But to say its ending is undermined by the film’s trailer is an understatement. #
- Indeed, it’s twice the speed of what I usually listen to. RT @dudestache 2bpm can make such a big difference in vibe. (via @detxl) #
- I miss missing my Nintendo DS. #
- Great to just pull up @stonesthrow Beat Battle page on @soundcloud and let variations on a beat play one after another: http://t.co/DptsyfBL #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments