- The SSD fridge: http://t.co/lIKR64Tf (courtesy of @debcha) #
- New generative sound app/project from @earslap, creator of Otomata: http://t.co/8tNIYsLZ It’s called Circuli. #
- “SSD fridge” pluses/minuses. RT @atlastop: @disquiet what really fast at freezing things, but never enough space to fit all your stuff? #
- René Margraff replied to my SSD/fridge comment: “Do you really want a fridge with very little storage space for a high price?” #
- Wondering if someone would, please, release the SSD equivalent of a refrigerator. #
- Quak channels Reich’s “It’s Gonna Rain” & Hopper takes “breathless” approach to Junto 8 (Benjamin Franklin remix): http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- 7 sentences from Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography have been chopped and screwed so far in the 8th Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Cannot remember the last time I typed www. #
- Thinking about catching DJ Krush tomorrow in San Francisco. Been awhile. #
- 8th Disquiet Junto project description now up at http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #voice #spoken #sample #publicdomain #benjaminfranklin #autobiography #
- I did send the Junto project to the email announcement list. I’ll add it to the Junto Soundcloud page as soon as the site is functional. #
- I wanna post the new Disquiet Junto project, which involves a sample of Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography, but @SoundCloud is having trouble #
- Junto 8 project coming momentarily. #
- Dinner and Ben Katchor event with Paul Socolow and visitor Bart Beaty, talking about @christianbok. #
- The jazz stereo and the dish-washing in the cafe at @SFMOMA are set at equal volumes. #
- You know it’s a productive day when you get a lot done before the IndustryGamers email shows up. #
- RJDJ should be built into the new Google Glasses. #
- 8th Junto announced later today. Project due Monday 11:59pm. Subject: human voice. Lemme know if you want on email list. #
- Nice mention from @cdmblogs: Ambient Listening: Cory Allen + Marcus Fischer track congruities in two gorgeous tracks: http://t.co/aIx0mMJK #
- RIP, Barney Rosset (b. 1922) whose Grove published Lady Chatterley, Naked Lunch; passed on Lord of the Rings (“couldn’t understand a word”). #
- RIP, singer Kay Davis (b. 1920), human theremin of Duke Ellington orchestra. Hear their “Transblucency”: http://t.co/DHfteeGI #
- RIP, Billy Strange (b. 1930), co-writer of “A Little Less Conversation,” guitarist on the Beach Boys’ “Sloop John B.” http://t.co/onSoXo9v #
- “For me no flowers can match the endlessly varied colors of Lisbon in the sunlight.” -Fernando Pessoa. And its sounds: http://t.co/95OwGn3b #
- Does @bandcamp not have a mobile-optimized website? #
- PS: A bit more than the allotted 222 words on @mapmap & @quietdesign‘s birthday single here: http://t.co/3Pcxbd8W #
- Talented singer @JaschaHoffman has made his new album free for limited time: http://t.co/uLKsY9VA I helped with remixes, more on which soon. #
- Happy birthday, @mapmap & @quietdesign. On 2/22 give each $1.11 for their single: http://t.co/ExiWlSic (I wrote its 222-word liner note.) #
- My sunglasses don’t play well with bus-shelter flat-screen ad billboards. #theylive #
- Did the second half of interview with Markus (Oval) Popp this morning. Good conversation. Skype is a useful thing. #
- The 8th Disquiet Junto, which begins this Thursday, Feb 23, will involve the human voice. #
- Permanently disabled caps lock. A personal milestone. #
- Noon bells dissolve into the hum of the refrigerator. #
- I missed that this is out. My interview with Punjabi rapper @iambohemia is in Feb/Mar issue of @SactownMagazine (print only). #
- Over 70 participants in recent Disquiet Junto music-making project. Reminder: send me your email to receive new-project alert on Thursdays. #
- Fitting that @codeacademy email reminders of next chapter arrive just as Junto projects hit deadline. Digital karma cron job. #
- First Junto to break 60 contributors: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 About 8 hours to go before deadline. #
- Happy Presidents Day. Here’s the (mostly) instrumental of DJ Ski’s production of a Jay-Z standard: http://t.co/pH9RkFe4 #
- RIP, Steve Kordek, 100-year-old innovator of pinball machines: 1st 2-flipper game, 1st drop targets, 1st multi-ball play. Via @VendingTimes #
- … alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car … #
- LX(RMX): Lisbon Remixed at 1595 listens, 380 downloads in under a week: http://t.co/95OwGn3b #pessoa #phonography #desassossego #
- Woulda said this is my new jam, but that means something else now. So, this is my new hang: @iolian. More info soon. #
- That previous tweet is from @robotdancerobot‘s blog post about the “Layering Reality” Junto project: http://t.co/wdHaRDRF #
- “Having these projects led to thinking about process and workflow and goals in a way that fiddling around with gear previously never did.” #
- Intended go live with Twitter account for another project. But Twitter won’t let me turn off “Protect my Tweets” setting. So maybe tomorrow. #
- Completed writing my foreword to the catalog for @johnkannenberg‘s forthcoming exhibit, Hours of Infinity in Ann Arbor: http://t.co/eqVY4q7F #
- RIP, game concept artist Adam Adamowicz (Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim): http://t.co/zuEc4knJ I had no idea he was from my hometown. #
- 45 musicians participated in Junto 7 (carving a recording of waves in Danish fjord) in just over 48 hours http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- I think Chronicle is my favorite superhero movie since Unbreakable. #
- Exclamation points are writing’s car alarms. #
- Subsidiary clauses set apart by em-dashes are writing’s scenic vistas. #
- Parentheticals are writing’s speed bumps. #
- “Mute, because overheard.” -Fernando Pessoa #
- Software Physician’s Desk Reference says: “SSD: psychoacoustic disorder experienced as exaggerated annoyance at other people’s hard drives.” #
- Today’s plan: get a lot of stuff done, see Chronicle, get a lot of stuff done. #
- I thought Junto 7 to be the most exacting. Turns out it’s the fastest growing yet. In next week or so will be an even more controlled one. #
- It’s only Saturday and we’re one shy of forty Junto entries for project 7 (sonic sculpting): http://t.co/anQFre9l #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0560 / Sonic Disambiguation / The Assignment: Help the Wikimedia Foundation develop a sonic logo.
• 0559 / Yes Exit / The Assignment: Compose your personal entrance and exit cues for conference calls.
• 0558 / Chore Progressions / The Assignment: Use a routine activity as the map of a composition.
• 0557 / Condensation Is a Form of Change / The Assignment: Interpret a graphic score that depicts four phases.
• 0556 / Gabber Ambient / The Assignment: Field-test a hybrid genre.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 560 consecutive weeks to date.