- The SSD fridge: http://t.co/lIKR64Tf (courtesy of @debcha) #
- New generative sound app/project from @earslap, creator of Otomata: http://t.co/8tNIYsLZ It’s called Circuli. #
- “SSD fridge” pluses/minuses. RT @atlastop: @disquiet what really fast at freezing things, but never enough space to fit all your stuff? #
- René Margraff replied to my SSD/fridge comment: “Do you really want a fridge with very little storage space for a high price?” #
- Wondering if someone would, please, release the SSD equivalent of a refrigerator. #
- Quak channels Reich’s “It’s Gonna Rain” & Hopper takes “breathless” approach to Junto 8 (Benjamin Franklin remix): http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- 7 sentences from Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography have been chopped and screwed so far in the 8th Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Cannot remember the last time I typed www. #
- Thinking about catching DJ Krush tomorrow in San Francisco. Been awhile. #
- 8th Disquiet Junto project description now up at http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #voice #spoken #sample #publicdomain #benjaminfranklin #autobiography #
- I did send the Junto project to the email announcement list. I’ll add it to the Junto Soundcloud page as soon as the site is functional. #
- I wanna post the new Disquiet Junto project, which involves a sample of Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography, but @SoundCloud is having trouble #
- Junto 8 project coming momentarily. #
- Dinner and Ben Katchor event with Paul Socolow and visitor Bart Beaty, talking about @christianbok. #
- The jazz stereo and the dish-washing in the cafe at @SFMOMA are set at equal volumes. #
- You know it’s a productive day when you get a lot done before the IndustryGamers email shows up. #
- RJDJ should be built into the new Google Glasses. #
- 8th Junto announced later today. Project due Monday 11:59pm. Subject: human voice. Lemme know if you want on email list. #
- Nice mention from @cdmblogs: Ambient Listening: Cory Allen + Marcus Fischer track congruities in two gorgeous tracks: http://t.co/aIx0mMJK #
- RIP, Barney Rosset (b. 1922) whose Grove published Lady Chatterley, Naked Lunch; passed on Lord of the Rings (“couldn’t understand a word”). #
- RIP, singer Kay Davis (b. 1920), human theremin of Duke Ellington orchestra. Hear their “Transblucency”: http://t.co/DHfteeGI #
- RIP, Billy Strange (b. 1930), co-writer of “A Little Less Conversation,” guitarist on the Beach Boys’ “Sloop John B.” http://t.co/onSoXo9v #
- “For me no flowers can match the endlessly varied colors of Lisbon in the sunlight.” -Fernando Pessoa. And its sounds: http://t.co/95OwGn3b #
- Does @bandcamp not have a mobile-optimized website? #
- PS: A bit more than the allotted 222 words on @mapmap & @quietdesign‘s birthday single here: http://t.co/3Pcxbd8W #
- Talented singer @JaschaHoffman has made his new album free for limited time: http://t.co/uLKsY9VA I helped with remixes, more on which soon. #
- Happy birthday, @mapmap & @quietdesign. On 2/22 give each $1.11 for their single: http://t.co/ExiWlSic (I wrote its 222-word liner note.) #
- My sunglasses don’t play well with bus-shelter flat-screen ad billboards. #theylive #
- Did the second half of interview with Markus (Oval) Popp this morning. Good conversation. Skype is a useful thing. #
- The 8th Disquiet Junto, which begins this Thursday, Feb 23, will involve the human voice. #
- Permanently disabled caps lock. A personal milestone. #
- Noon bells dissolve into the hum of the refrigerator. #
- I missed that this is out. My interview with Punjabi rapper @iambohemia is in Feb/Mar issue of @SactownMagazine (print only). #
- Over 70 participants in recent Disquiet Junto music-making project. Reminder: send me your email to receive new-project alert on Thursdays. #
- Fitting that @codeacademy email reminders of next chapter arrive just as Junto projects hit deadline. Digital karma cron job. #
- First Junto to break 60 contributors: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 About 8 hours to go before deadline. #
- Happy Presidents Day. Here’s the (mostly) instrumental of DJ Ski’s production of a Jay-Z standard: http://t.co/pH9RkFe4 #
- RIP, Steve Kordek, 100-year-old innovator of pinball machines: 1st 2-flipper game, 1st drop targets, 1st multi-ball play. Via @VendingTimes #
- … alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car alarm. Car … #
- LX(RMX): Lisbon Remixed at 1595 listens, 380 downloads in under a week: http://t.co/95OwGn3b #pessoa #phonography #desassossego #
- Woulda said this is my new jam, but that means something else now. So, this is my new hang: @iolian. More info soon. #
- That previous tweet is from @robotdancerobot‘s blog post about the “Layering Reality” Junto project: http://t.co/wdHaRDRF #
- “Having these projects led to thinking about process and workflow and goals in a way that fiddling around with gear previously never did.” #
- Intended go live with Twitter account for another project. But Twitter won’t let me turn off “Protect my Tweets” setting. So maybe tomorrow. #
- Completed writing my foreword to the catalog for @johnkannenberg‘s forthcoming exhibit, Hours of Infinity in Ann Arbor: http://t.co/eqVY4q7F #
- RIP, game concept artist Adam Adamowicz (Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim): http://t.co/zuEc4knJ I had no idea he was from my hometown. #
- 45 musicians participated in Junto 7 (carving a recording of waves in Danish fjord) in just over 48 hours http://t.co/anQFre9l #
- I think Chronicle is my favorite superhero movie since Unbreakable. #
- Exclamation points are writing’s car alarms. #
- Subsidiary clauses set apart by em-dashes are writing’s scenic vistas. #
- Parentheticals are writing’s speed bumps. #
- “Mute, because overheard.” -Fernando Pessoa #
- Software Physician’s Desk Reference says: “SSD: psychoacoustic disorder experienced as exaggerated annoyance at other people’s hard drives.” #
- Today’s plan: get a lot of stuff done, see Chronicle, get a lot of stuff done. #
- I thought Junto 7 to be the most exacting. Turns out it’s the fastest growing yet. In next week or so will be an even more controlled one. #
- It’s only Saturday and we’re one shy of forty Junto entries for project 7 (sonic sculpting): http://t.co/anQFre9l #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0459 / From a Distance / The Assignment: Make music intended to be heard from afar.
• 0458 / Phrase Shift / The Assignment: Make music in a sequence of parts with shared elements.
• 0457 / System Alert / The Assignment: Compose sounds for an OS.
• 0456 / Line Up / The Assignment: Interpret a painting by Agnes Martin as if it were a graphic score.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
And there is a complete list of past projects, 459 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments