- Now 14 @wildup Shostakovich Junto remixes: http://t.co/1JOZV3wt. Thoughts on source audio as Rashomon: http://t.co/WCcUKtJv #
- Morning sounds: my wife and 19-month-old breathing in their sleep, and from just beyond the window a formidable wind. #
- Most unexpected thing about Fringe tonight is that, suddenly, it is good is again. #
- We need to do a Conet Project of people’s lottery-number tweets. #
- The 6th @wildUp Shostakovich Junto remix, from Birmingham, Britain, is an exercise in considered restraint http://t.co/wXPGD7ho #
- The fifth and latest @wildup Shostakovich Junto remix is a lovely murky piece by Québec’s @arbeemonkey: http://t.co/FngiKk37 #
- “That static noise you hear isn’t your music.” Things my wife says. #
- Just shy of 19 months, my kid officially has more dolls than I do. We both await a figure of the Authority’s Jack Hawksmoor. #
- I like how the Twitter site’s Home button lights up to tell me there are new tweets—as if there ever aren’t new tweets. #
- My office is haunted by ghosts of laptop drives and fans past. My laptop is SSD, but occasionally I hear antique buzzings. #
- Four @wildup Shostakovich remixes already in: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5. In Discussion area, remixers discuss how far to veer from the original. #
- Nothing against Nas, but is there an instrumental edit of the DJ Premier / Berklee Orchestra track from @regenerationmp? #
- New David Byrne London project is a nice parallel to Juntos 5 & 11: http://t.co/z6Y4mtiy “I let the sounds dictate the groove.” #
- Paris mayor employs mimes to subdue noisy nightlife: http://t.co/mebdrcrC: “silence is not repressive, but a form of sharing” #
- Already some Shostakovich Junto remixes coming in: @mystified131, early as always; and we have first-timer @matt_borghi http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- I’ve interviewed some ridiculously accomplished visual artists the past month or so. More details as publication dates near. #
- Great stencil of Shostakovich from @chutson99: https://t.co/6PKvF599 #
- Stream audio of the Shostakovich track by @wildup we’re remixing: http://t.co/ct2NJ1dr: Chamber Symphony, Op. 110a, movement 1. #
- Reminder: the Shostakovich remix instructions are in English, Czech, French, Spanish, Japanese & Turkish: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Thanks to all retweeting the @wildup Shostakovich remix project: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Tracks are due by Monday at 11:59pm. #
- The 13th Disquiet Junto announced here: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Please join in and remix @wildup‘s Shostakovich chamber symphony recording. #
- Instructions for 13th Disquiet Junto project, in which we remix @wildUp‘s recording of a Shostakovich symphony, have gone to the email list. #
- Please, if Disquiet Junto has interested you, inform people about (and participate in!) the Shostakovich project to be announced shortly. #
- Got the French translation for today’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @chegreco!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- This fall I’ll teach “Sounds of Brands / Brands of Sounds” at @academy_of_art: http://t.co/F7FGRBmF. (Thanks, @artofplanning.) #
- +1 for giggles. RT @Big_Pause: @disquiet Isn’t the question, Marc, redundant most of the time. #
- Isn’t the question mark redundant most of the time. #
- Got the Spanish translation for today’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks to Norma Listman.) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- Got the Czech translation for today’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @kocicenka!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- Got the Turkish translation for tomorrow’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @m_emre_meydan!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- 2. I didn’t know the Anderson song was on the St. Elmo’s Fire soundtrack. 3. There’s a Brian Eno / Robert Fripp joke in there somewhere. #
- 1. We know Dr. Bishop likes his Yes, but it was still a surprise to hear “This Time It Was Really Right” by Jon Anderson on Fringe. #
- Got the Japanese translation for tomorrow’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @naotko!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- I find it incomprehensible what it meant, what it felt like, when a musician died prior to the rise of recorded music. #
- RIP, bluegrass banjo legend Earl Scruggs (b. 1924): http://t.co/nM6Ho8sc #
- The hive giveth. I am all set with download providers for the @wildUp Shostakovich remix project that begins in about 20 hours. #
- Disquiet Junto request: Can a few folks volunteer to help host the Shostakovich-remix audio files? It’s a half-gig Zip. Thanks. #
- Cageian Audiophile: Enter acousmatic chamber and hear your pulse speed up as you imagine having such a chamber at home. #
- Newly re-addicted to old Photek. #
- Quick burrito accompanied by significant construction sounds just outside. #
- The Shostakovich-remix Disquiet Junto details are with the translators. Instructions go live in ~30 hours. Cc @wildUp @mlaffs #
- As always, if you are available to translate Disquiet Junto project instructions, let me know. It is greatly appreciated. #
- Did I mention we start remixing a Shostakovich chamber work tomorrow as part of the 13th weekly Disquiet Junto? Very excited. #
- RIP, art critic Hilton Kramer (b. 1928), synonymous with modernism: http://t.co/bNqIk9Pp #
- Fun with truncation: received email whose header read “The Merger Is Off”¦” but the full text read “The Merger Is Official.” #
- Tuesday noon siren downright freaky on this excessively windy day. #
- Weighing in on the age-old “writing about music is like dancing about architecture” debate: http://t.co/ptNxIhNX #
- Some people play music boxes better than other people do. #
- Anything good going on in Los Angeles sound-art”“wise next Tuesday (April 3)? I may be free in the evening. #
- Mundane synaesthesia: decreasing your laptop’s volume when you had intended to decrease its screen brightness. #
- How do Google Books and http://t.co/4jro55If handle straight-to-ebooks, like the Kindle Singles? There’s nothing to scan. #
- Many thanks to @mlaffs @wildUp @orionrountree for helping set up the 13th Disquiet Junto, which starts this Thursday, 3/29. #
- Man, the Disquiet Junto just racked up its 600th track — in just 12 weeks: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- XVth Activating the Medium electronic-music festival in San Francisco is all women. Nice contrast with the more common all-men festivals. #
- A lot of these nursery rhymes only make sense if read with a British accent. #
- Need something bright and upbeat to wake up with? Listen to http://t.co/YGKsUt52 by second-time Junto participant Chiara Zedek. #
- Am beginning to get the value of PDFs. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0472 / Jam Time (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0471 / Phase Transition / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0470 / Calendar View / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0469 / [Missing in Caption] / The Assignment: Make music that pushes the constraints of descriptive television captions.
• 0468 / Mirror Rorrim / The Assignment: Create a new persona for yourself, and record a duet together.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 472 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments