- Now 14 @wildup Shostakovich Junto remixes: http://t.co/1JOZV3wt. Thoughts on source audio as Rashomon: http://t.co/WCcUKtJv #
- Morning sounds: my wife and 19-month-old breathing in their sleep, and from just beyond the window a formidable wind. #
- Most unexpected thing about Fringe tonight is that, suddenly, it is good is again. #
- We need to do a Conet Project of people’s lottery-number tweets. #
- The 6th @wildUp Shostakovich Junto remix, from Birmingham, Britain, is an exercise in considered restraint http://t.co/wXPGD7ho #
- The fifth and latest @wildup Shostakovich Junto remix is a lovely murky piece by Québec’s @arbeemonkey: http://t.co/FngiKk37 #
- “That static noise you hear isn’t your music.” Things my wife says. #
- Just shy of 19 months, my kid officially has more dolls than I do. We both await a figure of the Authority’s Jack Hawksmoor. #
- I like how the Twitter site’s Home button lights up to tell me there are new tweets—as if there ever aren’t new tweets. #
- My office is haunted by ghosts of laptop drives and fans past. My laptop is SSD, but occasionally I hear antique buzzings. #
- Four @wildup Shostakovich remixes already in: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5. In Discussion area, remixers discuss how far to veer from the original. #
- Nothing against Nas, but is there an instrumental edit of the DJ Premier / Berklee Orchestra track from @regenerationmp? #
- New David Byrne London project is a nice parallel to Juntos 5 & 11: http://t.co/z6Y4mtiy “I let the sounds dictate the groove.” #
- Paris mayor employs mimes to subdue noisy nightlife: http://t.co/mebdrcrC: “silence is not repressive, but a form of sharing” #
- Already some Shostakovich Junto remixes coming in: @mystified131, early as always; and we have first-timer @matt_borghi http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- I’ve interviewed some ridiculously accomplished visual artists the past month or so. More details as publication dates near. #
- Great stencil of Shostakovich from @chutson99: https://t.co/6PKvF599 #
- Stream audio of the Shostakovich track by @wildup we’re remixing: http://t.co/ct2NJ1dr: Chamber Symphony, Op. 110a, movement 1. #
- Reminder: the Shostakovich remix instructions are in English, Czech, French, Spanish, Japanese & Turkish: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Thanks to all retweeting the @wildup Shostakovich remix project: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Tracks are due by Monday at 11:59pm. #
- The 13th Disquiet Junto announced here: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Please join in and remix @wildup‘s Shostakovich chamber symphony recording. #
- Instructions for 13th Disquiet Junto project, in which we remix @wildUp‘s recording of a Shostakovich symphony, have gone to the email list. #
- Please, if Disquiet Junto has interested you, inform people about (and participate in!) the Shostakovich project to be announced shortly. #
- Got the French translation for today’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @chegreco!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- This fall I’ll teach “Sounds of Brands / Brands of Sounds” at @academy_of_art: http://t.co/F7FGRBmF. (Thanks, @artofplanning.) #
- +1 for giggles. RT @Big_Pause: @disquiet Isn’t the question, Marc, redundant most of the time. #
- Isn’t the question mark redundant most of the time. #
- Got the Spanish translation for today’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks to Norma Listman.) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- Got the Czech translation for today’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @kocicenka!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- Got the Turkish translation for tomorrow’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @m_emre_meydan!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- 2. I didn’t know the Anderson song was on the St. Elmo’s Fire soundtrack. 3. There’s a Brian Eno / Robert Fripp joke in there somewhere. #
- 1. We know Dr. Bishop likes his Yes, but it was still a surprise to hear “This Time It Was Really Right” by Jon Anderson on Fringe. #
- Got the Japanese translation for tomorrow’s Disquiet Junto project. (Thanks, @naotko!) #shostakovich (Cc @wildup @mlaffs) #
- I find it incomprehensible what it meant, what it felt like, when a musician died prior to the rise of recorded music. #
- RIP, bluegrass banjo legend Earl Scruggs (b. 1924): http://t.co/nM6Ho8sc #
- The hive giveth. I am all set with download providers for the @wildUp Shostakovich remix project that begins in about 20 hours. #
- Disquiet Junto request: Can a few folks volunteer to help host the Shostakovich-remix audio files? It’s a half-gig Zip. Thanks. #
- Cageian Audiophile: Enter acousmatic chamber and hear your pulse speed up as you imagine having such a chamber at home. #
- Newly re-addicted to old Photek. #
- Quick burrito accompanied by significant construction sounds just outside. #
- The Shostakovich-remix Disquiet Junto details are with the translators. Instructions go live in ~30 hours. Cc @wildUp @mlaffs #
- As always, if you are available to translate Disquiet Junto project instructions, let me know. It is greatly appreciated. #
- Did I mention we start remixing a Shostakovich chamber work tomorrow as part of the 13th weekly Disquiet Junto? Very excited. #
- RIP, art critic Hilton Kramer (b. 1928), synonymous with modernism: http://t.co/bNqIk9Pp #
- Fun with truncation: received email whose header read “The Merger Is Off”¦” but the full text read “The Merger Is Official.” #
- Tuesday noon siren downright freaky on this excessively windy day. #
- Weighing in on the age-old “writing about music is like dancing about architecture” debate: http://t.co/ptNxIhNX #
- Some people play music boxes better than other people do. #
- Anything good going on in Los Angeles sound-art”“wise next Tuesday (April 3)? I may be free in the evening. #
- Mundane synaesthesia: decreasing your laptop’s volume when you had intended to decrease its screen brightness. #
- How do Google Books and http://t.co/4jro55If handle straight-to-ebooks, like the Kindle Singles? There’s nothing to scan. #
- Many thanks to @mlaffs @wildUp @orionrountree for helping set up the 13th Disquiet Junto, which starts this Thursday, 3/29. #
- Man, the Disquiet Junto just racked up its 600th track — in just 12 weeks: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- XVth Activating the Medium electronic-music festival in San Francisco is all women. Nice contrast with the more common all-men festivals. #
- A lot of these nursery rhymes only make sense if read with a British accent. #
- Need something bright and upbeat to wake up with? Listen to http://t.co/YGKsUt52 by second-time Junto participant Chiara Zedek. #
- Am beginning to get the value of PDFs. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.