- Video of my introductory statement at the 4/19 Chicago Disquiet Junto Enemy group concert: http://t.co/lmuhx2AE #
- Funny: The sound of a raging Dyson hand dryer from the bathroom of a small quiet cafe. #
- Many thanks to @peterkirn for this thoughtful overview of Disquiet Junto, LX(RMX), & Instragr/am/mbient: http://t.co/5qSdxXDy #
- More on this when time frees up, but I have a piece on San Francisco’s sonic-arts infrastructure at @artpractical: http://t.co/zwKL1lW2 #
- The 16th Disquiet Junto project is at http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Due Monday, April 23, at 11:59pm wherever you are. #
- RIP, graphic designer David Hillman Curtis (b. 1961), who directed Ride, Rise, Roar film about the Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno Tour. #
- Belated RIP, Dick Clark (b. 1929), eternal teenager, and the Band’s Levon Helm (b. 1940), who always seemed old beyond his years. #
- Disquiet Junto 16: Make a new track from samples of dice and sandpaper; use one as background, the other as foreground: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- So, er, tonight’s show went later than expected. The 16th Disquiet Junto project will go out shortly. Theme: “Background & Foreground.” #
- Back at the hotel thanks to a ride from @xyzr_kx. Many thanks to @cranksatori & Enemy for hosting the Disquiet Junto concert. #
- Tonight’s Junto show has had 4 Jasons and 3 OP-1s. #
- Second set (three acts) of Disquiet Junto live at Enemy in Chicago about to begin at numbers.fm. #
- Image from first piece, now moving to guitar. RT @colepierce: @cinchel @disquiet junto http://t.co/EJPYOtE9 #
- The Disquiet Junto concert (7 musicians playing expanded works for glass harmonica) is streaming live from Enemy in Chicago on numbers.fm. #
- Noise-cancellation speaker system at Enemy in Chicago. http://t.co/inik6mmL #
- Nice surprise: Michael Esposito, whose EVP work I’ve enjoyed, is joining Jason Soliday’s set at the Disquiet Junto show in Chicago tonight. #
- Great afternoon at Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago: Marclay, Clark, Creed, Ahearn, Kruger, more. #
- 5.5 hours until the live Disquiet Junto show at Enemy in Chicago (9pm Central), also to stream at numbers.fm. #
- Waking up in Chicago. My cell phone, with its central-time NOLA area code, must feel more at home than in San Francisco. #
- 24 hours from now we’ll be in the middle of the Disquiet Junto concert at Enemy in Chicago. #
- Hotel HVAC in Evanston isn’t too overbearing. Less space station, more Biosphere. #
- Twitter is doing crazy things with my DMs. Ones from the past keep popping up as new. Cc @Support #
- Landed in Chicago. #
- I interviewed Morton Subotnick in advance of his @communikey event: http://t.co/Z6QKqGBH (#shoutout: @ethanhein) #
- Country music on the radio in a ramen restaurant (in Santa Clara). #
- Man, I am so excited about this Chicago Disquiet Junto show: http://t.co/ak3PTwrj. Thursday can’t arrive quickly enough. #
- Presentation by @voxeet on conference calls @demo. Smart. VU meters & freeform 3D-audio placement distinguish who’s talking. #
- Most interesting thing on the radio while driving south on 101 was the scan button. http://t.co/SjoVuLwP #
- RT @xyzr_kx playing noise show Thursday w/ @disquiet Junto. don’t expect singing…or notes. well there might be notes http://t.co/HPkcevKJ #
- “Rendition” sounds clandestine. “Portal” makes me think of a video game. What word will I lose next to a reference? #
- Everything I know about parenting I learned from the “Splicers” episode of Batman Beyond. #
- 28th entry in 15th Junto (depicting RGB interactions in sound) is by 1st-time participant @joshcarr: http://t.co/CNDU1Dsj #
- Anyone else going to @demo tomorrow? Anything in particular I should check out? #
- I wrote on @SoundCloud -> @aworks commented about fluidity in listening habits -> people argue about audio formats http://t.co/qVHNvt56 #oy #
- So far, my experience of the Jambox is only confirming my sense that Bluetooth is the fax of the digital era. #
- Eager for Jonathan Lethem’s Fear of Music book from 33 1/3. His They Live fan-notes book was stellar. #
- Excited to head to Chicago for a few days. If anything’s going on I shouldn’t miss (sound-wise/gallery-wise) lemme know. #
- If you’re in Chicago Thursday, come hear/see Disquiet Junto live: http://t.co/j4fUeVOe #
- Thanks, @aworks, for weighing in on my @newmusicbox @soundcloud piece, in regard to the slow march of music formats: http://t.co/8Ez6b6So #
- Images of @salvagione book(let) (Element) due from new @boondesign venture (Extracurricular Press) with an essay by me http://t.co/rEScHDeH #
- Street sounds, Golden Gate Park: http://t.co/cr2ADbIn #
- Woke to, now, 19 renditions of the color-theory Junto sound project: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5. #
- 13 different — very different — Junto responses thus far to interpreting color as sound: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #rgb #
- Updated work I dod for @salvagione with better photos: http://t.co/nsuipzPL http://t.co/1tAsTBED http://t.co/w39ED2ok http://t.co/9EZZQ05U #
- Cafe radio is channeling my college years: first Violent Femmes, now R.E.M. Guessing there will be no Metallica, John Zorn, or Cecil Taylor. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0485 / Strange Weather / The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer's traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 485 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments