- Proposed slightly alternate universe: One in which Max/MSP is named after Max Neuhaus. #
- SoundCloud’s new, multi-account-based sets are my new jam. #
- 3 hrs, 3 mins & 32 secs of drones by 38 musicians based on shared sample set: http://t.co/py7BEIgt, thanks to new @soundcloud “sets”… #
- Disquiet Junto project 24 has gone to the group’s email list and been posted at http://t.co/XdREURGZ. Theme: functional sound. #
- It makes weirdly too much sense that Billy Campbell is half Billy Crudup and half Campbell Scott. #
- Remain convinced the best thing about Apple OS is that its orderliness and elegance encourage same in its users. #
- Between Quakers and the new David Byrne / St. Vincent, something is going on with all this brass band music, and it’s quite welcome. #
- If I’m reading correctly, the “next” @SoundCloud indeed provides ability to create sets, which will be a great way to compile Junto projects #
- On morning of day we’re due to start Disquiet Junto project about sonic alerts I mistook a crow’s call for an unfamiliar laptop/phone alarm. #
- Generally speaking, I am Con-metheus. #
- Intrigued by these enhanced @soundcloud tweets mentioned at http://t.co/oj5NXE04 but haven’t come across one yet. #
- Disquiet’s email newsletter moved to http://t.co/zOp3jD7v. (If you were already subscribed, then you’re on it.) Members: 1,231 and counting. #
- First time since 2010 I was gonna give @emusic a serious look, and the website is down. #
- Theme for 24th Disquiet Junto project, which starts tomorrow, is a suite of sonic alerts. It’s about functional music/sound. #
- I do fear the music was etched in my brain. MT @sbb: @disquiet More of a public performance issue. Where are ASCAP & BMI when you need them? #
- Perhaps someone from the RIAA could be of service in stopping this individual on the bus from singing along with his iPod? #
- At a bar downtown. We may need to do a cocktail-shaker revisit of the first Junto project. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. “This this is is a a test test.” Relative distance between speakers produces echo effect. #
- Today’s soundtrack will be a neighboring backyard being rid of its concrete. #
- In just 23 weeks and 23 projects, the Disquiet Junto is just 14 tracks shy of its 1000th: http://t.co/4GCCxoUv #
- What if @EganGoonSquad‘s “Black Box” short story from @NYerFiction were a Barbara Kruger installation: http://t.co/j5UWHxbb. #
- MT @_TheOrdinary_: Peal of thunder starts to east of me, decrescendos towards west, passing directly overhead and lasting a good 1/2 minute. #
- Kinda relieved the new Macbook Airs aren’t a significant upgrade on the model I have (“mid 2011”). #
- Not a speaker. (Sidewalk grate.) http://t.co/LSmbuPk0 #
- Chimes in the elephant habitat at the Oakland Zoo. Sadly, no recital today. http://t.co/XNhkdsQS #
- Quiet time at the Oakland Zoo. http://t.co/VxehZnZL #
- Recently began watching Downton Abbey. Great how the score’s Glassy minimalism insistently projects the pressure and momentum of modernity. #
- What if Jennifer Egan’s New Yorker short story “Black Box” were a Barbara Kruger installation: http://t.co/j5UWHxbb. #
- Every time the main theme plays in Prometheus, which is quite often, I expect the Starship Enterprise to fly overhead. #
- The beauty of the “palindrone” is how it encourages a listener’s attention to form in a format that is often formless: http://t.co/gYJjWWiW #
- Lovely object “Thank You for Listening” by Amber Jean Young. Exhibit opens tonight at http://t.co/3AcK5LRq in San Francisco. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0460 / Creative Destruction / The Assignment: Show how you got to a tortured sound.
• 0459 / From a Distance / The Assignment: Make music intended to be heard from afar.
• 0458 / Phrase Shift / The Assignment: Make music in a sequence of parts with shared elements.
• 0457 / System Alert / The Assignment: Compose sounds for an OS.
• 0456 / Line Up / The Assignment: Interpret a painting by Agnes Martin as if it were a graphic score.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 460 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments