- Proposed slightly alternate universe: One in which Max/MSP is named after Max Neuhaus. #
- SoundCloud’s new, multi-account-based sets are my new jam. #
- 3 hrs, 3 mins & 32 secs of drones by 38 musicians based on shared sample set: http://t.co/py7BEIgt, thanks to new @soundcloud “sets”… #
- Disquiet Junto project 24 has gone to the group’s email list and been posted at http://t.co/XdREURGZ. Theme: functional sound. #
- It makes weirdly too much sense that Billy Campbell is half Billy Crudup and half Campbell Scott. #
- Remain convinced the best thing about Apple OS is that its orderliness and elegance encourage same in its users. #
- Between Quakers and the new David Byrne / St. Vincent, something is going on with all this brass band music, and it’s quite welcome. #
- If I’m reading correctly, the “next” @SoundCloud indeed provides ability to create sets, which will be a great way to compile Junto projects #
- On morning of day we’re due to start Disquiet Junto project about sonic alerts I mistook a crow’s call for an unfamiliar laptop/phone alarm. #
- Generally speaking, I am Con-metheus. #
- Intrigued by these enhanced @soundcloud tweets mentioned at http://t.co/oj5NXE04 but haven’t come across one yet. #
- Disquiet’s email newsletter moved to http://t.co/zOp3jD7v. (If you were already subscribed, then you’re on it.) Members: 1,231 and counting. #
- First time since 2010 I was gonna give @emusic a serious look, and the website is down. #
- Theme for 24th Disquiet Junto project, which starts tomorrow, is a suite of sonic alerts. It’s about functional music/sound. #
- I do fear the music was etched in my brain. MT @sbb: @disquiet More of a public performance issue. Where are ASCAP & BMI when you need them? #
- Perhaps someone from the RIAA could be of service in stopping this individual on the bus from singing along with his iPod? #
- At a bar downtown. We may need to do a cocktail-shaker revisit of the first Junto project. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. “This this is is a a test test.” Relative distance between speakers produces echo effect. #
- Today’s soundtrack will be a neighboring backyard being rid of its concrete. #
- In just 23 weeks and 23 projects, the Disquiet Junto is just 14 tracks shy of its 1000th: http://t.co/4GCCxoUv #
- What if @EganGoonSquad‘s “Black Box” short story from @NYerFiction were a Barbara Kruger installation: http://t.co/j5UWHxbb. #
- MT @_TheOrdinary_: Peal of thunder starts to east of me, decrescendos towards west, passing directly overhead and lasting a good 1/2 minute. #
- Kinda relieved the new Macbook Airs aren’t a significant upgrade on the model I have (“mid 2011”). #
- Not a speaker. (Sidewalk grate.) http://t.co/LSmbuPk0 #
- Chimes in the elephant habitat at the Oakland Zoo. Sadly, no recital today. http://t.co/XNhkdsQS #
- Quiet time at the Oakland Zoo. http://t.co/VxehZnZL #
- Recently began watching Downton Abbey. Great how the score’s Glassy minimalism insistently projects the pressure and momentum of modernity. #
- What if Jennifer Egan’s New Yorker short story “Black Box” were a Barbara Kruger installation: http://t.co/j5UWHxbb. #
- Every time the main theme plays in Prometheus, which is quite often, I expect the Starship Enterprise to fly overhead. #
- The beauty of the “palindrone” is how it encourages a listener’s attention to form in a format that is often formless: http://t.co/gYJjWWiW #
- Lovely object “Thank You for Listening” by Amber Jean Young. Exhibit opens tonight at http://t.co/3AcK5LRq in San Francisco. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0551 / The Bends / The Assignment: Get less strict about something you're strict about.
• 0550 / Abrupt Probability / Make music based on a chance graphic score.
• 0549 / Sidelines / The Assignment: Get intentional with stereo.
• 0548 / Drone Vox / The Assignment: Make a drone using just your voice.
• 0547 / Genre Melee / Combine two seemingly different genres.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 551 consecutive weeks to date.