- From advance warning anxious that Dyer’s Zona will send me back to my decades-long no-1st-person approach to writing, just as I was warming. #
- Picked up Geoff Dyer’s Zona at the library. It has a sticker on it that says “POPULAR READING.” #
- Thanks! MT @Nonwrestler: @disquiet 30s photos converted to sound, presented as videos tracking through the results http://t.co/wPJzfPhQ #
- Made banner image for my site: white backdrop + black text atop image. Massive Kinko’s flashback to circa-1987 college flyer/zine-making. #
- Brief post on my occasional http://t.co/uScGMHh3 site about the Air Display app: http://t.co/LrLX3Xhk #
- Excellent customer support this week from @ninjatunehq and @tinyletter. #
- The next Disquiet email newsletter includes chance to win a @johnkannenberg exhibit catalog. Subscribe here: http://t.co/zOp3jD7v. #
- Sent an email out to the Disquiet email list (1200+ subscribers). It may end up in your spam folder, so take a peek there. #
- Thinking about adding discussion forum to the Disquiet site. #
- Instructions to the 25th Disquiet Junto, in which we rework the 24th, have gone to the email list & at http://t.co/f4o5d0ZJ in 5 languages. #
- The Disquiet site will have a more responsive design in near future: laptop/tablet/7″/phone. Been an interesting process. #
- What would an alien signal sound like? Reminder about the call-for-submissions I’m helping @primusluta with: http://t.co/gtlbbZ0E. #
- Finished watching the first season of The Killing on AMC. **spoiler** The villain is the screenwriting staff. #
- Late-morning sounds: refrigerator, passing traffic, faraway barking, occasional digital alerts. #
- The 25th weekly Disquiet Junto project starts tomorrow. Over 200 musicians around the world making music based on creative restraints. #
- How to find music on @pinterest. RT @WonderlandK: @disquiet Try “music about cupcakes” or “sounds shoes make” for better results? in reply to WonderlandK #
- “Music” wasn’t among the 21 topics suggested to me when I joined Pinterest. #
- The new Macbook Air flips the Thunderbolt and USB icons from right of port to left. Just sayin’. #
- Joined art.sy, which appears to have just one artist filed under “sound art.” Zimoun. #
- Thanks. Good examples. Brain feels better now. RT @paul_donald: @disquiet How about Louis Armstrong? Or Tom Waits, for that matter? in reply to paul_donald #
- Can’t think of a musician whose singing so resembled how he played his instrument as Chet Baker. #
- Kind of addicted to listening to two copies of “Voice Poetry” off Ornette Coleman’s Body Meta slightly out of sync. #
- RIP, film critic Andrew Sarris (b. 1928), auteur of auteur theory. #
- The Tate lecture MP3 wasn’t in my SanDisk MP3 player’s music menu because it was tagged as genre = podcast? Could that be so? #
- The Tuesday noon siren today should be drowned out by the rattle of a Chinese restaurant, if plans proceed correctly. #
- RIP, British actor Brian Hibbard (b. 1946) of vocal group Flying Pickets, who had British hit with cover of Yazoo’s “Only You” #
- And this week we’ll be doing the 25th weekly Disquiet Junto project. Just amazing. Passed the 1,000-track and 200-participant milestones. #
- Nice to have gotten to meet @falsereactions + @andrewweathers this past week. Missed their show, but did get in a drink and some talk. #
- Anyone out there have good (or less than good) stories about implementing bbPress? Would like to see some examples. #
- RIP, actor Victor Spinetti (b. 1929), of the Beatle’s A Hard Day’s Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, and Prince’s Under the Cherry Moon. #
- Pretty sweet that Divvy works within Air Display on the iPad. #
- Psyched to hear the Drumcorps and Photek remixes on the forthcoming Rob Zombie collection. #
- Regarding SoundCloud’s new sets: “These are my jams” feels, by way of comparison, much more interesting than This Is My Jam. #
- Man, I’ve been on Twitter for five years as of today. #
- Bonus to Amon Tobin box set: picking it up at DHL in San Francisco, on crazy beautiful industrial waterfront. #
- Midway through its 24th week/project, Disquiet Junto hits its 1,000th track: http://t.co/r77LLvGJ. Thanks to all 206 participating… #
- Dreamed I met people who work at GoodReads. They were confused I wrote about books on the site yet refrained from assigning star ratings. #
- Disquiet Junto, now deep in its 24th weekly project, is 5 tracks shy of its 1,000th: http://t.co/iNaicE16 #
- RIP, American Music Club and Sun Kill Moon drummer Tim Mooney: http://t.co/asWDBb6p #
- Exited eye doctor’s office to hear funk song of Fillmore street fair DJ and beep of backing-up delivery van play at same tempo. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.