- From advance warning anxious that Dyer’s Zona will send me back to my decades-long no-1st-person approach to writing, just as I was warming. #
- Picked up Geoff Dyer’s Zona at the library. It has a sticker on it that says “POPULAR READING.” #
- Thanks! MT @Nonwrestler: @disquiet 30s photos converted to sound, presented as videos tracking through the results http://t.co/wPJzfPhQ #
- Made banner image for my site: white backdrop + black text atop image. Massive Kinko’s flashback to circa-1987 college flyer/zine-making. #
- Brief post on my occasional http://t.co/uScGMHh3 site about the Air Display app: http://t.co/LrLX3Xhk #
- Excellent customer support this week from @ninjatunehq and @tinyletter. #
- The next Disquiet email newsletter includes chance to win a @johnkannenberg exhibit catalog. Subscribe here: http://t.co/zOp3jD7v. #
- Sent an email out to the Disquiet email list (1200+ subscribers). It may end up in your spam folder, so take a peek there. #
- Thinking about adding discussion forum to the Disquiet site. #
- Instructions to the 25th Disquiet Junto, in which we rework the 24th, have gone to the email list & at http://t.co/f4o5d0ZJ in 5 languages. #
- The Disquiet site will have a more responsive design in near future: laptop/tablet/7″/phone. Been an interesting process. #
- What would an alien signal sound like? Reminder about the call-for-submissions I’m helping @primusluta with: http://t.co/gtlbbZ0E. #
- Finished watching the first season of The Killing on AMC. **spoiler** The villain is the screenwriting staff. #
- Late-morning sounds: refrigerator, passing traffic, faraway barking, occasional digital alerts. #
- The 25th weekly Disquiet Junto project starts tomorrow. Over 200 musicians around the world making music based on creative restraints. #
- How to find music on @pinterest. RT @WonderlandK: @disquiet Try “music about cupcakes” or “sounds shoes make” for better results? in reply to WonderlandK #
- “Music” wasn’t among the 21 topics suggested to me when I joined Pinterest. #
- The new Macbook Air flips the Thunderbolt and USB icons from right of port to left. Just sayin’. #
- Joined art.sy, which appears to have just one artist filed under “sound art.” Zimoun. #
- Thanks. Good examples. Brain feels better now. RT @paul_donald: @disquiet How about Louis Armstrong? Or Tom Waits, for that matter? in reply to paul_donald #
- Can’t think of a musician whose singing so resembled how he played his instrument as Chet Baker. #
- Kind of addicted to listening to two copies of “Voice Poetry” off Ornette Coleman’s Body Meta slightly out of sync. #
- RIP, film critic Andrew Sarris (b. 1928), auteur of auteur theory. #
- The Tate lecture MP3 wasn’t in my SanDisk MP3 player’s music menu because it was tagged as genre = podcast? Could that be so? #
- The Tuesday noon siren today should be drowned out by the rattle of a Chinese restaurant, if plans proceed correctly. #
- RIP, British actor Brian Hibbard (b. 1946) of vocal group Flying Pickets, who had British hit with cover of Yazoo’s “Only You” #
- And this week we’ll be doing the 25th weekly Disquiet Junto project. Just amazing. Passed the 1,000-track and 200-participant milestones. #
- Nice to have gotten to meet @falsereactions + @andrewweathers this past week. Missed their show, but did get in a drink and some talk. #
- Anyone out there have good (or less than good) stories about implementing bbPress? Would like to see some examples. #
- RIP, actor Victor Spinetti (b. 1929), of the Beatle’s A Hard Day’s Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, and Prince’s Under the Cherry Moon. #
- Pretty sweet that Divvy works within Air Display on the iPad. #
- Psyched to hear the Drumcorps and Photek remixes on the forthcoming Rob Zombie collection. #
- Regarding SoundCloud’s new sets: “These are my jams” feels, by way of comparison, much more interesting than This Is My Jam. #
- Man, I’ve been on Twitter for five years as of today. #
- Bonus to Amon Tobin box set: picking it up at DHL in San Francisco, on crazy beautiful industrial waterfront. #
- Midway through its 24th week/project, Disquiet Junto hits its 1,000th track: http://t.co/r77LLvGJ. Thanks to all 206 participating… #
- Dreamed I met people who work at GoodReads. They were confused I wrote about books on the site yet refrained from assigning star ratings. #
- Disquiet Junto, now deep in its 24th weekly project, is 5 tracks shy of its 1,000th: http://t.co/iNaicE16 #
- RIP, American Music Club and Sun Kill Moon drummer Tim Mooney: http://t.co/asWDBb6p #
- Exited eye doctor’s office to hear funk song of Fillmore street fair DJ and beep of backing-up delivery van play at same tempo. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice