- Hoping the new iAnnotate PDF app upgrade fixes my Dropbox issues — except the iTunes store is down. #
- Kudos to @delicious for getting rid of "stacks." Tags are sufficient. #
- Broke another pair of earbuds. I need a sponsor. #
- If you could wear out MP3s, some tracks on this Quakers Instrumentals album would've been reduced to .ds files by now. #
- Likelihood that the person who committed the horrible crime in Denver was insane & so many people saying horrible things now are sane. #
- New track from Lee Scratch Perry's team-up with the Orb: http://t.co/LzIPX3Ud. Truly no disrespect, but I eagerly await the instrumentals. #
- Beginning to confuse press releases about 7" singles and 7" tablets. #
- Disquiet Junto project 29, inspired by @greatdismal's Count Zero, now live. Instructions went to email list and are at http://t.co/XdREURGZ. #
- Gotta say, customer service at @ninjatunehq is top notch. #
- Major congrats. Can't wait to dive in. RT @dizzybanjo: We did it! It's out!! The Dark Knight Rises Z+ App http://t.co/9xKDbUFZ #rise #rjdj #
- Just got a correction. August 7 is the due date for @primusluta's excellent alien-signal call for submissions: http://t.co/VINKX82A #
- Cool project. MT @primusluta: UPDATE: Open Call for Compositions "The Alien" – submissions close on August 17, 2012 – http://t.co/VINKX82A #
- SoundHound routinely drops the ball at the taco truck. #
- My interview in the 7/19 Nature issue about Alphas includes info on infrasound-themed episode: http://t.co/OcWbT36w #syfy #
- New issue (7/19) of Nature has my interview with Alphas showrunner Bruce Miller on science of superheroes: http://t.co/l2znb016 #firewall #
- 29th weekly Disquiet Junto music project begins in about 30 hours. The theme is from the William Gibson (aka @greatdismal) novel Count Zero. #
- Rules for Disquiet Junto project 29, inspired by a William Gibson comment, are with the translators. Get in touch if you wanna translate. #
- The next weekly Disquiet Junto project, the 29th, will focus on a sonic observation by @greatdismal (aka William Gibson). #
- Kickstart that salvage pronto. RT @aljavieera: Salvaged tsunami horns, for sale at Ohmega. CC @soundscrapers @disquiet http://t.co/wWXPnZj1 #
- RIP, Brazilian musician Ed Lincoln (b. 1932), early bossa nova and easy listening figure: http://t.co/fFWcVWjY #
- Weather bug (@DETXL). MT @drab_makyo: Dig sound of tires on wet pavement when haven't looked outside to know it's rain. Ditto crunch of snow #
- July 25: Rumored date of new OS X arrival and, more importantly, date my favorite local dim sum place re-opens after two-week vacation. #
- Near-simultaneous arrival of new No Doubt single and Orb/Perry teamup highlight the admirably wide reverberations that dub set forth. #
- RIP, Turkish composer and producer Ä°lhan MimaroÄŸlu (b.1926). via @pheezy #
- Entirely my (dis)pleasure. RT: @misterunderwood: @disquiet Your RIPs are always the best / worst :( #
- RIP, experimental filmmaker Stephen Dwoskin (b. 1939); collaborated with composer Gavin Bryars on several works (via http://t.co/kzzqMQj8) #
- Almost 30 tracks so far in this week's netlabel-remix Creative Commons project in the Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/EyVxz803 #
- Finished Redshirts by @scalzi. So good. Yes, Cabin in the Woods in Space. Also: The City on the Edge of Forever remixed by Auster & Coover. #
- Due to a series of events, my 22-month-old now thinks the appropriate way to order dim sum is to say, "More bun, hon." #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0525 / Magic Number (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio.
• 0524 / Sunset Waveform / The Assignment: Read a photo like a graphic score.
• 0523 / Chill Communication / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0522 / Just Backdated / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0521 / Cannon Canon / The Assignment: Make a martial round.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 525 consecutive weeks to date.