- Hoping the new iAnnotate PDF app upgrade fixes my Dropbox issues — except the iTunes store is down. #
- Kudos to @delicious for getting rid of "stacks." Tags are sufficient. #
- Broke another pair of earbuds. I need a sponsor. #
- If you could wear out MP3s, some tracks on this Quakers Instrumentals album would've been reduced to .ds files by now. #
- Likelihood that the person who committed the horrible crime in Denver was insane & so many people saying horrible things now are sane. #
- New track from Lee Scratch Perry's team-up with the Orb: http://t.co/LzIPX3Ud. Truly no disrespect, but I eagerly await the instrumentals. #
- Beginning to confuse press releases about 7" singles and 7" tablets. #
- Disquiet Junto project 29, inspired by @greatdismal's Count Zero, now live. Instructions went to email list and are at http://t.co/XdREURGZ. #
- Gotta say, customer service at @ninjatunehq is top notch. #
- Major congrats. Can't wait to dive in. RT @dizzybanjo: We did it! It's out!! The Dark Knight Rises Z+ App http://t.co/9xKDbUFZ #rise #rjdj #
- Just got a correction. August 7 is the due date for @primusluta's excellent alien-signal call for submissions: http://t.co/VINKX82A #
- Cool project. MT @primusluta: UPDATE: Open Call for Compositions "The Alien" – submissions close on August 17, 2012 – http://t.co/VINKX82A #
- SoundHound routinely drops the ball at the taco truck. #
- My interview in the 7/19 Nature issue about Alphas includes info on infrasound-themed episode: http://t.co/OcWbT36w #syfy #
- New issue (7/19) of Nature has my interview with Alphas showrunner Bruce Miller on science of superheroes: http://t.co/l2znb016 #firewall #
- 29th weekly Disquiet Junto music project begins in about 30 hours. The theme is from the William Gibson (aka @greatdismal) novel Count Zero. #
- Rules for Disquiet Junto project 29, inspired by a William Gibson comment, are with the translators. Get in touch if you wanna translate. #
- The next weekly Disquiet Junto project, the 29th, will focus on a sonic observation by @greatdismal (aka William Gibson). #
- Kickstart that salvage pronto. RT @aljavieera: Salvaged tsunami horns, for sale at Ohmega. CC @soundscrapers @disquiet http://t.co/wWXPnZj1 #
- RIP, Brazilian musician Ed Lincoln (b. 1932), early bossa nova and easy listening figure: http://t.co/fFWcVWjY #
- Weather bug (@DETXL). MT @drab_makyo: Dig sound of tires on wet pavement when haven't looked outside to know it's rain. Ditto crunch of snow #
- July 25: Rumored date of new OS X arrival and, more importantly, date my favorite local dim sum place re-opens after two-week vacation. #
- Near-simultaneous arrival of new No Doubt single and Orb/Perry teamup highlight the admirably wide reverberations that dub set forth. #
- RIP, Turkish composer and producer Ä°lhan MimaroÄŸlu (b.1926). via @pheezy #
- Entirely my (dis)pleasure. RT: @misterunderwood: @disquiet Your RIPs are always the best / worst :( #
- RIP, experimental filmmaker Stephen Dwoskin (b. 1939); collaborated with composer Gavin Bryars on several works (via http://t.co/kzzqMQj8) #
- Almost 30 tracks so far in this week's netlabel-remix Creative Commons project in the Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/EyVxz803 #
- Finished Redshirts by @scalzi. So good. Yes, Cabin in the Woods in Space. Also: The City on the Edge of Forever remixed by Auster & Coover. #
- Due to a series of events, my 22-month-old now thinks the appropriate way to order dim sum is to say, "More bun, hon." #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0472 / Jam Time (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0471 / Phase Transition / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0470 / Calendar View / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0469 / [Missing in Caption] / The Assignment: Make music that pushes the constraints of descriptive television captions.
• 0468 / Mirror Rorrim / The Assignment: Create a new persona for yourself, and record a duet together.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 472 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments