- Headed up to Sacramento tomorrow. If anything art-gallery”“ish of note is going on, I’d appreciate the heads up. #
- Not a speaker, and yet quite loud. (Ceiling vent.) http://t.co/cUwKwN6w #
- The third time the Sirius/Muzak/whatever “radio” in a café plays Norah Jones in two hours, everyone should get a free espresso. #
- 10.8.1 #
- Details to come, but I’ll be in Long Beach (CA) on Sept. 1 for 9th annual SoundWalk sound-art festival: http://t.co/uWlsJM2C #
- Already 3 @djunto tracks exploring what @the_radius broadcast’s jingle would sound like as the root of a composition: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- At the most basic level, quick/informed customer service means: “Our products work sufficiently that we’re not inundated with complaints.” #
- The 34th weekly @djunto project explores the idea of a radio show’s theme song bleeding into the feature presentation: http://t.co/XdREURGZ #
- Car dealer’s wifi is super slow. Other guy in waiting room with laptop & I just gave each other the “You downloading Game of Thrones?” look. #
- All the more timely thanks to Curiosity: I spoke with @ChristofMigone about his Martian Chronicles sound art: http://t.co/XrOMnQfM #
- Also found in my closet: A Fistful of Turkeys, Saga, Starfire II. All in all, a turn-based time capsule. #
- Found a ton of old Steve Jackson (and related) games today in my closet: Hot Spot, Car Wars, Annihilator/One World, One-Page Bulge … #
- Mostly for @pauladaunt + @compactrobot, here’s my 1993 Depeche Mode interview: http://t.co/z1umtvKB + thoughts on it: http://t.co/BcQTSYft #
- Between @soundcloud & @internetarchive, the Instagr/am/bient collection has been streamed/downloaded just shy of 40,000 times. #
- Warmed-Up Leatherette #
- Apparently this camera at the entrance of an abandoned movie theater is just taking notes. http://t.co/6mLyVBq6 #
- For folks who watch Alphas, last night’s episode was the one with the infrasound plot I mentioned in my recent @naturemagazine interview. #
- I check the weather some mornings, but I always find myself listening to field recordings from around the world. #
- With 4 Radiohead albums in Pitchfork’s top 20 albums of past 15 years, the title Amnesiac takes on a deeper meaning: http://t.co/QNYa1R4Z #
- 2 more notes about public outdoor pianos on Denver’s 16th St: (1) lots of homeless people play piano; (2) heard 3 people play “Mad World.” #
- I listened to the Bourne Legacy score before seeing the film, and really dug the “Cognitive Degrade” track. It’s all the better in context. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco after return trip from Denver: a welcome alarm. #
- I joined in with some folks on a sonic @GAFFTA Urban Prototyping project. Hopeful it gets approved. More on the expo at http://t.co/vRkSd2zR #
- Amazing. MT @benjamindauer: My first @djunto track, “A Glimmer of Hope,”has nearly 4,500 plays. Thanks for listening! http://t.co/zNAWWBh7 #
- Waking, following Denver trip, to the fog horns of the San Francisco Bay. That’s home. #
- Pleased to learn in last week’s Alphas that Dr. Rosen, like his drug-addled peer Dr. Bishop from Fringe, keeps Yes LPs in his office. #
- At airport watched over shoulder of someone power-consuming Reddit-filtered images & videos; feared for future of the paragraph. #
- DEN -> SFO / Headed home after tremendous Denver visit. #
- When the tile on a bar in a Mexican restaurant looks like a Monome. http://t.co/GhX9dxWI #
- One of the few restrictions we have faced this evening: http://t.co/rq6t2dOh #
- Junto concert set up is going well but the @ustream is not so we likely won’t be streaming live. Apologies. We will post audio post-concert. #
- Ten and Tracer’s brobdignagian @djunto glass (note laptop for scale). http://t.co/zdXczaYY #
- Cody Yantis’ three-glass set up for tonight’s @djunto show. Not pictured: guitar. http://t.co/BvnNZGsg #
- C. Reider’s glass with dual contact mics for tonight’s @djunto show. http://t.co/1dQeX9Sh #
- Almost certainly. RT @debcha: @disquiet I won’t be able to listen to the livestream tonight—any chance it’ll be archived somewhere? #
- Mysterybear’s seriously stabilized wine glass for tonight’s @djunto concert in Denver. http://t.co/WHuhUX39 #
- Wine glass and guitar for Radere’s #djunto set tonight. http://t.co/LipNiUwA #
- Three and a half hours until the @djunto show. It’ll stream live here: http://t.co/9FQFu1YM (music for digitally enhanced glass harps) #
- Less than 6 hours until @djunto showtime. An evening of music for electronically mediated glass harmonica: 7pm at Denver’s Walnut Room. #
- Having a Scotch & soda at a Denver bar, watching photos pop up in Instagram of the current @djunto project (turntables as sound objects). #
- We should be streaming the @djunto show Sunday (around) 7:00pm Denver time from this @ustream channel: http://t.co/9FQFu1YM #
- Come visit, listen, perform! MT @vuzhmusic: Alright, slackers, you have exactly 25 hours to get on a plane for Denver: http://t.co/ONxoRmEi #
- Electronic musician setting up Bucky covering. (“lt took 12 hours last year; this year: 4.”) http://t.co/i2JbBBKq #
- Not a pipe organ. (Robert Mangold sculpture in Denver Civic Center.) http://t.co/JqfwjXUh #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.