- SFO -> LGB #
- Don’t judge me by the titles of my ebooks. Phone loaded with Kadrey’s Kill the Dead and Suarez’s Kill Decision. #
- Previous tweet should have ended “whir and buzz.” #
- Joyce Hsu’s tough-lovely mechanical bugs at SFO’s international terminal. Always disappointed they don’t whi http://t.co/6utjuW0S #
- That’s the “Time Passing Remix.” MT @dirtydemos: @disquiet dusted off SAW Vol II; still sounds fresh despite being a bit scratched & crackly #
- Morning sounds: refrigerator hum, occasional passing car, vague low-level electrical whine. #
- Downloading the new @arckatron. Free, via the beat artist himself, as a Zip file: http://t.co/VSyklWLc #
- In this week’s @djunto series we’re doing a group read (laptop circle?) of Beck’s Song Reader. Three tracks so far: http://t.co/kekZlIvt. #
- Somewhere there’s a very complicated joke about Conlon Nancarrow, an empty piano bench, and Clint Eastwood’s movie scores. #
- If you’re in Denver, catch Gary Emerich’s video installation “Contact” at Robischon Gallery. Show ends tomorrow, Sept. 1. #
- RIP, Spanish film music composer Bernardo Bonezzi (b. 1964), who scored movies by Pedro AlmodÃ³var (Verge, Desire) among others. #
- So excited about SFEMF next week: Basinski, Moebius, Galindo, Leonard, Negativwobblyland, more. I’m going all 6 nights: http://t.co/yo9wFDlE #
- Reminder, if you’re in/near Long Beach: I’m moderating a panel at @FingerprintsLB tomorrow (Sept 1) on sound art, part of @SoundWalk 2012. #
- On heavy rotation for the next year. http://t.co/MQinWMlB #
- I’ll be writing the 33 1/3 (aka @333books) volume about Aphex Twin’s album Selected Ambient Works Vol II. Very excited. #
- Today’s a great day for several reasons. 1: My kid turns 2 years old; 2: A new @arckatron album is due out this evening (at 8:31pm). And … #
- May need to start a new Instagram project called “Nothing says quiet like an exclamation point.” #
- Long unused phone booth. http://t.co/VlnSsdys #
- The non-built (aka “natural”) environment is so foreign to me, I think more of Star Trek than of Edward Abbey when working in the backyard. #
- 35th weekly @djunto project (info at http://t.co/XdREURGZ + http://t.co/d4FoS32j): interpret sheet-music page from Beck’s Song Reader. #
- The Curiosity JPL tag on Mars brings to mind the “goldsworthy” landscape art that pervades Kim Stanley Robinson’s novel 2312. #
- New @arckatron album comes out tomorrow: 8/31 at 8:31pm (#philly time). #
- Now this is detail. MT @bldgblog Turns out the tire treads of Curiosity rover are leaving behind a track of Morse code http://t.co/eA2NwhUV #
- The 35th @djunto will explore: a recently revived form of music distribution, communal participation, and matters of canonical recording. #
- Celebrate Cage’s 100th by celebrating musicians he celebrated. In Berkeley Sep 8 6pm, catch Satie’s day-long Vexations: http://t.co/DaarmL4l #
- Initial details on the @SoundWalk panel I’m moderating in Long Beach this Saturday: http://t.co/IEMmqwmB #
- Seems against the spirit of 4’33” to take pleasure in the antagonism of those who dismiss it angrily, and yet I sometimes do. #
- Today is the 60th anniversary of John Cage’s 4’33”: http://t.co/zeNlatjw (via @stevesilberman) #
- Hoping for volunteer Chinese + Korean translators for @djunto weekly music projects. Have up to 7 languages regularly. Would â™¥ to add those. #
- Ramen break. #
- The fog horns are just showing off today. #
- 7pm Sat., 9/1, in Long Beach I’m moderating a panel (Performed Art: The Fluid Roles of Spectator and Artist in Sound Art) at SoundWalk 2012. #
- Is there a Cecilia GimÃ©nez PhotoShop plugin? #
- The brief sonified scene of Gary on Alphas reading nature’s signals is my favorite thing on TV in some time. He’s like a mutant John Muir. #
- GimÃ©nez’s Law: The road to meme is paved with good intentions. #
- That Denver intersection was so lonely and quiet, and yet now 110 listens of an old man’s piano improvisation: http://t.co/dqm1SxQQ #
- Sensing that we San Franciscans don’t have the vocabulary to discuss heat and instead do so through modulation, melisma, tone, inflection. #
- Tuesday noon siren at Bush and Kearny in San Francisco has almost operatic effect, thanks to echo, during closing spoken section. #
- The @gaffta project we proposed on Urban Prototyping wasn’t approved but at least two have sonic underpinnings: http://t.co/XxSRJ9Gw #
- The 36th @djunto (week after this one) will explore Clyfford Still, abstract expressionism, classical music, aesthetic influence. #
- The 35th @djunto will explore: recently revived form of music distribution, communal participation, matters of canonical recording. #
- Morning press release that will haunt my day today: “Iggy Pop Limited Edition Bobblehead.” #
- Belated RIP, Jay Parker (b. 1925), who designed the Sun Records logo (via http://t.co/bn5hhO6u) #
- I don’t even like the song that much, but man it’s good when the theme to Damages kicks in. (Now starting season 4 on DVD.) #
- Crate digging, sidewalk edition. http://t.co/dSm52PnX #
- Realized my nearly-two-year-old is singing “Victoria! Victoria!” from the car’s back seat. #
- Gas leak seems to have been the cause of neighborhood helicopter action. May have been news crews: http://t.co/BYD3BKV6 #richmonddistrict #
- Whole lot of helicopter action above the fog in the Richmond District right now. #
- Could swear the Tuesday noon civic siren just rang at 3:45pm Sunday in Potrero Hill. #
- Tempo instructions on a piano roll. Must obey. http://t.co/UBHeUWza #
5 Most Recent Comments
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice