- SFO -> LGB #
- Don’t judge me by the titles of my ebooks. Phone loaded with Kadrey’s Kill the Dead and Suarez’s Kill Decision. #
- Previous tweet should have ended “whir and buzz.” #
- Joyce Hsu’s tough-lovely mechanical bugs at SFO’s international terminal. Always disappointed they don’t whi http://t.co/6utjuW0S #
- That’s the “Time Passing Remix.” MT @dirtydemos: @disquiet dusted off SAW Vol II; still sounds fresh despite being a bit scratched & crackly #
- Morning sounds: refrigerator hum, occasional passing car, vague low-level electrical whine. #
- Downloading the new @arckatron. Free, via the beat artist himself, as a Zip file: http://t.co/VSyklWLc #
- In this week’s @djunto series we’re doing a group read (laptop circle?) of Beck’s Song Reader. Three tracks so far: http://t.co/kekZlIvt. #
- Somewhere there’s a very complicated joke about Conlon Nancarrow, an empty piano bench, and Clint Eastwood’s movie scores. #
- If you’re in Denver, catch Gary Emerich’s video installation “Contact” at Robischon Gallery. Show ends tomorrow, Sept. 1. #
- RIP, Spanish film music composer Bernardo Bonezzi (b. 1964), who scored movies by Pedro AlmodÃ³var (Verge, Desire) among others. #
- So excited about SFEMF next week: Basinski, Moebius, Galindo, Leonard, Negativwobblyland, more. I’m going all 6 nights: http://t.co/yo9wFDlE #
- Reminder, if you’re in/near Long Beach: I’m moderating a panel at @FingerprintsLB tomorrow (Sept 1) on sound art, part of @SoundWalk 2012. #
- On heavy rotation for the next year. http://t.co/MQinWMlB #
- I’ll be writing the 33 1/3 (aka @333books) volume about Aphex Twin’s album Selected Ambient Works Vol II. Very excited. #
- Today’s a great day for several reasons. 1: My kid turns 2 years old; 2: A new @arckatron album is due out this evening (at 8:31pm). And … #
- May need to start a new Instagram project called “Nothing says quiet like an exclamation point.” #
- Long unused phone booth. http://t.co/VlnSsdys #
- The non-built (aka “natural”) environment is so foreign to me, I think more of Star Trek than of Edward Abbey when working in the backyard. #
- 35th weekly @djunto project (info at http://t.co/XdREURGZ + http://t.co/d4FoS32j): interpret sheet-music page from Beck’s Song Reader. #
- The Curiosity JPL tag on Mars brings to mind the “goldsworthy” landscape art that pervades Kim Stanley Robinson’s novel 2312. #
- New @arckatron album comes out tomorrow: 8/31 at 8:31pm (#philly time). #
- Now this is detail. MT @bldgblog Turns out the tire treads of Curiosity rover are leaving behind a track of Morse code http://t.co/eA2NwhUV #
- The 35th @djunto will explore: a recently revived form of music distribution, communal participation, and matters of canonical recording. #
- Celebrate Cage’s 100th by celebrating musicians he celebrated. In Berkeley Sep 8 6pm, catch Satie’s day-long Vexations: http://t.co/DaarmL4l #
- Initial details on the @SoundWalk panel I’m moderating in Long Beach this Saturday: http://t.co/IEMmqwmB #
- Seems against the spirit of 4’33” to take pleasure in the antagonism of those who dismiss it angrily, and yet I sometimes do. #
- Today is the 60th anniversary of John Cage’s 4’33”: http://t.co/zeNlatjw (via @stevesilberman) #
- Hoping for volunteer Chinese + Korean translators for @djunto weekly music projects. Have up to 7 languages regularly. Would â™¥ to add those. #
- Ramen break. #
- The fog horns are just showing off today. #
- 7pm Sat., 9/1, in Long Beach I’m moderating a panel (Performed Art: The Fluid Roles of Spectator and Artist in Sound Art) at SoundWalk 2012. #
- Is there a Cecilia Giménez PhotoShop plugin? #
- The brief sonified scene of Gary on Alphas reading nature’s signals is my favorite thing on TV in some time. He’s like a mutant John Muir. #
- Giménez’s Law: The road to meme is paved with good intentions. #
- That Denver intersection was so lonely and quiet, and yet now 110 listens of an old man’s piano improvisation: http://t.co/dqm1SxQQ #
- Sensing that we San Franciscans don’t have the vocabulary to discuss heat and instead do so through modulation, melisma, tone, inflection. #
- Tuesday noon siren at Bush and Kearny in San Francisco has almost operatic effect, thanks to echo, during closing spoken section. #
- The @gaffta project we proposed on Urban Prototyping wasn’t approved but at least two have sonic underpinnings: http://t.co/XxSRJ9Gw #
- The 36th @djunto (week after this one) will explore Clyfford Still, abstract expressionism, classical music, aesthetic influence. #
- The 35th @djunto will explore: recently revived form of music distribution, communal participation, matters of canonical recording. #
- Morning press release that will haunt my day today: “Iggy Pop Limited Edition Bobblehead.” #
- Belated RIP, Jay Parker (b. 1925), who designed the Sun Records logo (via http://t.co/bn5hhO6u) #
- I don’t even like the song that much, but man it’s good when the theme to Damages kicks in. (Now starting season 4 on DVD.) #
- Crate digging, sidewalk edition. http://t.co/dSm52PnX #
- Realized my nearly-two-year-old is singing “Victoria! Victoria!” from the car’s back seat. #
- Gas leak seems to have been the cause of neighborhood helicopter action. May have been news crews: http://t.co/BYD3BKV6 #richmonddistrict #
- Whole lot of helicopter action above the fog in the Richmond District right now. #
- Could swear the Tuesday noon civic siren just rang at 3:45pm Sunday in Potrero Hill. #
- Tempo instructions on a piano roll. Must obey. http://t.co/UBHeUWza #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments