- Man, William Basinski live. That was pretty special. Thank you, SFEMF. #
- Already 8 reworkings of a Bach piece in honor of abstract expressionist Clyfford Still's affection for classical music: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- Glenn Gould woulda turned 80 this year. Focusing on the 100th of Cage/Nancarrow, who broke into their pianos, I've neglected the shut-in. #
- Jeepers hadn't even followed that through. Thanks. MT @subtopes: @disquiet further it's a skill needed only for doing what you're told to do #
- According to this BART sign, listening is not part of being aware of one's environment. http://t.co/3Gispjqh #
- BART between Powell and 24th is louder than most concerts I attend. #
- Getting used to the sounds in/of the room where I'll be teaching a weekly class on sound. http://t.co/IUKC7d0s #
- Really excited about hearing/seeing William Basinski live tonight at SFEMF — after a heap of tamales. #
- For @djunto folks, Ramos' narrative is interesting. Note his move away from abstract expressionism via visual sampling: http://t.co/45NV1bBo #
- My lengthy profile of painter Mel Ramos is now up at http://t.co/45NV1bBo. #
- My dishwasher is a generative-music genius. Rhythmic, fluid, lush, cantankerous. Genius. #
- Room 3012 in Sonoma State's library has a plaque thanking Tom & Betty Freeman. Different BF, but I listened to Cage's Freeman Etudes there. #
- Looks like the new Kindle Fires correct one significant gap from the previous version: they have built-in microphones: http://t.co/QrUfyvbd #
- Far too psyched about Looper. #
- 36th Disquiet Junto project has begun. Explores aesthetic influence via Clyfford Still: http://t.co/XdREURGZ + http://t.co/Fote94kZ #
- Chris Duncan LP cover from upcoming sound-in-art show at Sonoma State's art gallery. http://t.co/xGJbsSsm #
- Detail of Jack Ox graphic score from upcoming sound-in-art show at Sonoma State's art gallery. http://t.co/oYiiSUA4 #
- Detail of 1978 John Cage score from upcoming sound-in-art show at Sonoma State's art gallery. http://t.co/P74qtdtW #
- Campus noon carillon can't really compete with neighboring HVAC exhaust. #
- Interviewing Nils Frahm later today, if anyone has any questions for him. #
- Yeah, phone as chihuahua. MT @npseaver: @disquiet I hate iPhone’s default (unchangeable) SMS vibrate. Stop growling at me, tiny motors! #
- Watched/listened as Prius navigated tight parallel parking situation, the only evident sound that of tires squeaking against pavement. #
- Concept that a phone on "vibrate" isn't "silent" is a factual matter, not a highfalutin reference to oscillations. #library #sms #incessant #
- Want tesseract rainbow. MT @barrythrew: Aggregate all these pictures and it should be possible to construct a 3d model of the double rainbow #
- That's what I am getting at. Yeah. A chibi independent, if I may. MT @sethchrisman: 'A simulacrum of "independent."' #
- Everyone at SFEMF's opening night reception stepped outside to see the double rainbow installation. http://t.co/KEPjGJfb #
- Night 1 (of 5) of SFEMF. It's going to be a great festival this year. First stop: gallery opening at Million Fishes. #
- Thinking my next phone may be a Nokia/Windows (Android now), next tablet an Android (iOS now), and stick with Macbook Air. OS bioversity. #
- Probably just coincidence but very few musicians I work with or admire embrace the term "indie" despite the vast number being independent. #
- Driving a car generally exists to refute the received wisdom that 10,000 hours spent doing something makes one an expert. #
- The intimacy of a chatty PR email asking what's up with life + a "listen to this" link with URL wider than browser to track clickthroughs. #
- Reminder: this week's @djunto project will be about Clyfford Still, abstract expressionism, and aesthetic influence. #
- Only time I saw Cage in person was at @bangonacan marathon at @NYSEC in early '90s. He drifted asleep as Margaret Leng Tan played toy piano. #
- Indeed. Shame's right. MT @compactrobot: Shameful there’s no Google doodle for John Cage 100th birthday. Stare at logo for 4'33" & pretend. #
- RIP, Emmanuel Nunes (b. 1912), Portuguese composer who studied with Pousseur, Spek, Stockhausen. Solo piano piece: http://t.co/t7JoUOIv #
- Nearing-midnight sounds: refrigerator hum, general light electrical whine, less vehicular traffic than usual. #
- Dug out files in the basement — folders of correspondence with a largely pre-Internet (and now deceased) friend — for an overdue tribute. #
- In Revolution when Charlie gets her Return of the Jedi lunchbox that's a Star Wars theme in the music, isn't it, making her a female Luke? #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco against the machine-drill whir of neighborhood barbershop. #
- Weird OS X Mountain Lion issues with Chrome refusing to close and Safari going into CPU overdrive. It's feeling fairly Windows 7 right now. #
- A house is truly quiet when you're alone in it the day after it had 26 people in it, over a third of them under age 9. #
- RIP, composer Michael Manion (b. 1952). Here's him writing about Stockhausen: http://t.co/dxxX2K1c #
- I like to think I sang my kid to sleep, but the fog horns definitely get credited with an assist this evening. #
- Morning duet for refrigerator and garbage truck. #
- Great trips to Denver and Long Beach, filled with art and sound — and, man, is it good to be home. #
- OK, the newly two-year-old's nap is over. Time to head to Zine Fest. #
- Retweeting is a form of change. RT @oblique: Repetition is a form of change. #
- Haven't been to Amoeba before it opened in a long time. #
- LGB -> SFO #
- Apparently 3D-printed shells sound like actual shells. (SoundWalk exhibit.) http://t.co/09iOIDbi #
- Er, that is: "simulated." #
- Beautiful stimulated rain-triggered music installation at SoundWalk. http://t.co/vqBFsXyK #
- Following glenn bach's docent tour of both SoundWalk and the ambient noise of downtown Long Beach. #
- And, yes, Disquiet Junto folks, there are glass harps at SoundWalk. http://t.co/bTJNLZfS #
- Sound and shadow (part of Eric Strauss' installation at SoundWalk). http://t.co/gkZ6UK9I #
- Just a part of the lavish tape installation at SoundWalk by lavish womb. http://t.co/jiAcCcr4 #
- Long Beach store signage that may or may not be part of SoundWalk. http://t.co/Q3jrbT6S #
- Physical Graffiti Computing #
- RIP, Hal David (b. 1921), who arguably inserted more phrases into the American consciousness than the Founding Fathers. #sayalittleprayer #
- Didn't love the PBS/BBC series Zen, but haven't since been able to have an espresso without thinking about it. #
- Major thanks again to futureprüf-dot-com for design/production support on my site. New comments style looks stellar: http://t.co/gfeQFgaU #
- Eight renditions of a sheet of Beck's Song Reader up so far: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- Radio station is doing a "best lead guitarist" countdown. Keith Richards is its number 2. "Beast of Burden" seems like an odd song choice. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0477 / Flying Blind / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which some substantial portion is performed without looking.
• 0476 / IAH Forecast / The Assignment: Here's your next single's cover. Now record it.
• 0475 / Low End (4 of 3) / The Assignment: Remix a trio by doing forensics on its component parts.
• 0474 / Police Action (3 of 3) / The Assignment: Complete a trio by adding a track to an existing duet by two other musicians
• 0473 / Placebo Effect (2 or 3) / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio that others will complete.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 477 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments