- Doing my part to support the economy. MT @jmmy_kppl: i walked through a shop because @djunto told me to. http://t.co/eN31Qfrn #
- “Don’t you got any Christmas music?” “This is Christmas music.” #
- Morning sounds: refrigerator hum, quiet buzz of distant traffic, passing bus. #
- 3 sonic documents of consumer space so far in @djunto #37 Simi Valley Target, Dorset Primark, Manhattan Macy’s: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- Cloud sync means four devices on your desk near-simultaneously signaling a calendar event. #
- Interesting standoff between networks and Apple about network IDs. Did record companies ever balk at the absence of a label field in iTunes? #
- The faces are so all familiar in the trailer to Spielberg’s Lincoln that it looks like an exercise in anachronism cosplay. #
- Nix that. Per @nynexrepublic (@disquiet “I would not be surprised to learn of a Hello Kitty taser”), confirmed existence thereof. #
- Maybe if I put Hello Kitty stickers on my Zoom H4n, fewer people will mistake it for a taser. “I’m a field recordist. We mean no harm.” #
- It helps that the dual microphones on the Zoom H4n look like deathray devices from a James Bond movie starring the Micronauts. #
- Gauging quasi-objective sound-recording quality is not exactly in my skill set, but man does this Zoom H4n sound good. #
- “Pre-Raphaelites trailer.” #
- There will be a Fringe episode titled “Transilence Thought Unifier Model-11.” That is all. #
- Week 1 of the sound class I’m teaching, with videos, syllabus, an in-class exercise, and other documents: http://t.co/Havc3p4m #
- The 37th weekly @djunto project is now live: http://t.co/XdREURGZ + http://t.co/NUE8q5zC #
- I had a blast teaching about sound (in the media landscape) yesterday. I kind of want it to be next Wednesday already. #
- Ghost bus. #
- RIP, composer, scholar (Cage, Young, Zazeela), and Internet early-starter William Duckworth (b. 1943). via @seatedovation #
- Watermarked pre-release copies means critics must have more confidence in publicists than publicists have in critics. #
- This week’s @djunto project is the first in a series related to this: http://t.co/s0pnaRgn. Details to follow. To start: field recordings. #
- Funny if auction of Eric Clapton’s Richter, “Abstraktes Bild (809-4),” meant painter henceforth more associated with him than Sonic Youth. #
- Yeah, fog horns still at it in the morning. I hope no one ever comes up with a better-than-fog-horn solution. #
- Sounds like the fog horns are pulling an all-nighter. #
- Dinner: rainbow chard, chicken habanero sausage, jasmine rice. Soon as the kid’s asleep: (last night’s) Sons of Anarchy season premiere. #
- Overly invested in this S.H.I.E.L.D. show being Marvel’s answer to @brubaker‘s Gotham Central. #
- Class homework: watching Gordon Hempton documentary (Soundtracker), reading Brian Eno essay on perfume, starting semi-daily sound journal. #
- In class showed main, alt-earth, and retro-’80s versions of Fringe opening credits; also: classic/corny and real-sound Kit Kat commercials. #
- Exercises from today’s sound class: journal entry (listening in/to the classroom; no speaking); sonic memories of average Wed. morning. #
- Best part of Apple event is watching @gewang + @dizzybanjo reactions. in reply to gewang #
- Sound Class, Week 1: sound journal, Oliveros (Deep Listening), Schafer (soundscape), JJ Abrams, Fringe, clairaudience, Kit Kat, sonification #
- This lineup of David Byrne / How Music Works conversations is pretty amazing: http://t.co/oBbszw0l #
- Nearing-midnight sounds: dishwasher, magazine being paged through, typing, light electric whine. #
- What in two decades will be the term for implemented skeuomorphism nostalgia? #
- While reading @Richard_Kadrey‘s Kill the Dead over lunch, I made thick red chili for dinner. I think its boiling is what Hell sounds like. #
- Digging the elegant literalism of the cover to Nate Silver’s forthcoming book on predictions, The Signal and the Noise: http://t.co/tmkvlheL #
- Reddit confuses me. Why’s there a link to a 50th anniversary Kind of Blue video (i.e. from several years ago) on the home page? #
- Thanks, whichever municipal worker made the crosswalk audio signals at 25th and Geary phase out of sync. #
- Turn corner, hear choral music: massive midweek funeral at neighborhood Russian Orthodox Church, its steps lined with singing parishioners. #
- Tuesday noon civic siren in San Francisco on 9/11. #
- If you need a question mark you haven’t sufficiently formulated your sentence. #
- This morning’s wake-up call: Tyondai Braxton remixing Philip Glass: http://t.co/KQ3MZQei #
- Man, the 36th @djunto project is nearing 50 entries, bringing total tracks to over 1300, total participants to almost 250. #
- Last night’s Alphas (on SyFy) continued with the infrasonic plot thread. #
- This coming week’s Disquiet Junto project will be pure field recording, a first for the series. #
- Information flows through this. http://t.co/17dj3wNr #
- The fogpunk mythology of the Richmond District: Gundam Sutro on the hill and bleating mecha whales in the bay #
- Not a speaker. (Domestic steam vent.) http://t.co/up2OpbSc #
- The Clyfford Still”“themed @djunto project more active than I’d expected. Over 40 abstract works derived from Bach, with half a day to go. #
- RIP, Bill Moggridge (b. 1943), IDEO cofounder: http://t.co/Uu6dYDCo #
- SFEMF has been great, but after 4 nights in a row, I think I am skipping night 5 for some family time. #
- A great SFEMF night. I think I’ve gone every year since returning in 2003 from New Orleans, except 2010, when my kid was born 2 weeks early. #
- Loud Objects (Perich, Flanigan) at SFEMF tonight: the perfect counterpoint to last night’s Basinski. Wires in lieu of tape, solder vs decay. #
- Tonight @SFEMF: C/Kluster’s Moebius, serial inventor Richard Lerman, Loud Objects (Perich/Flanigan), Cheryl Leonard (rocks/contact-mic star) #
- Man, first @naotko and soon (on 9/23) @mapmap. Soon half the @djunto will have met up with @robert_henke. Excellebt. #
- Clearly when someone getting “a spot in the U.S. Open Men’s Final” deserves a @nytimes email alert the world is at peace & all’s well. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice