- Well, that's a hassle. The auto-Twitter post plugin Twitter Digest worked the first week, didn't the second. Shouldn't be this complicated. ->
- Today's productivity powered by OPT COMMAND â—„ â–º in VLC. ->
- RIP, Lee Dorman (b. 1942), bassist on proto-drone rock classic "In-A-Gadda-De-Vida" by Iron Butterfly:… ->
- Morning sounds: sleeping toddler's steady breathing, percussion of rain against the windows ->
- Holiday music I can get behind: "Silent Night" covered by Scanner and by Robert Fripp: http://t.co/W9YmZqkI ->
- "My phone is silent, hella silent." Overheard at Target. ->
- RIP, Mike Scaccia (b. 1965), guitarist (Ministry, Rigor Mortis). Reportedly seizure due to strobe light. http://t.co/3sf2zzSY ->
- And on Sunday, December 23, 2012, Marc Weidenbaum ceased capitalizing the "t" in t-shirts, though he retained the hyphen. ->
- 25 musicians have produced 60-second audio journals of 2012: https://t.co/T79e44JI. Do consider joining in. Deadline is Monday, 11:59pm. ->
- This horrendous cover of "Cecilia" has stumped Google's song identifier software. Or, more likely, simply fried the code. ->
- I'm not at Jump Festa, but "Tokyo Dawn" by @naotko reminded me of waking early to watch kids disembark in Chiba: https://t.co/z2FnPwrv ->
- Part of the point of @djunto is it's dependably there if you have time, so there will indeed be a 52nd project on Thursday: netlabel remix. ->
- At café writing before holiday dinner. Yesterday's crazy lady not here today. Haunted by what she said: "I make money by confessing my sins" ->
- This café plays one of those channels with only cover versions of well-known songs. Makes me wonder if the food and coffee are second hand. ->
- RIP, mangaka Keiji Nakazawa (b. 1939), author of Barefoot Gen, Hiroshima native. ->
- The morning's soundtrack: The Beach Boys' Christmas Album. ->
- Learning about the nature of feedback loops by trying not to fall asleep while putting my 2.3-year-old to bed for a nap ->
- While waiting to speak with a reservationist you will be entertained by an onholdist. ->
- RIP, Ray Collins (b. 1936), Mothers of Invention vocalist. ->
- RIP, film composer Sir Richard Rodney Bennett (b. 1936). ->
- RIP, TV's Gerry Anderson (b. 1929), developer of Thunderbirds, UFO, Space: 1999: http://t.co/OJg6EEYW ->
- You don't miss your water — that is, don't know you have a favorite shot glass until it breaks: http://t.co/OPfan6lk ->
- That moment when filming a little home video where you pause the stereo so you will retain uncontested ownership of your memories. ->
- Pondering whether the Downstream section of Disquiet should expand to include streaming-only music, and video for that matter. ->
- What is the online version of the ripped-in-half $100 bill? ->
- I watch Person of Interest for the interstitials. ->
- Bunch of translations ready for 52nd weekly @djunto project, last of 2012. Goes live today. Next week, 53rd project inaugurates 2013. ->
- Sad to read @crewest gallery is closing, after a decade of great exhibits in downtown L.A. I'm proud to have exhibited there. ->
- The year's final Disquiet Junto project (netlabel remix) has gone to the mailing list and is at https://t.co/omMowbWd + http://t.co/jwgnPsR2 ->
- What an incredible experience @djunto has been in 2012. I can't thank the participants enough. Project 52 has begun, due New Year's Eve. ->
- One good reason to make jambalaya with a 2.3-year-old is to hear a 2.3-year-old say "jambalaya" over and over excitedly. ->
- Finally sorted out what bugs me about our longtime jambalaya recipe. Replaced chicken breasts with thighs. Made all the difference. ->
- Man, a lot happens in the first episode of Firefly. #latetotheparty ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.