- Saw the breezy destruction that is Iron Man 3. More of an ensemble film than the earlier ones. ->
- The instinct to listen to a drone below this delicate music I’m listening to in order to drown out café chatter. ->
- Splendid. RT @SethSHorowitz: @disquiet The right sound is attentional armor. ->
- The color visualizations of novels ( http://t.co/P4Nwvp92I5 ) make a good parallel to @christofmigone's Martian Chronicles sound study. ->
- "It is Megadeth, not Megadeath." Correction in the New York Times for its obituary for Slayer guitarist. ->
- Morning trio for refrigerator drone, wind, and passing automobiles. ->
- Made a set of third Disquiet Junto project, expanded glass harp: http://t.co/3DrpFGhGnj. Almost all the original 35 tracks are still online. ->
- Not sure if @anydo lets existing users hook up new ones with accounts, but if someone could sign me up I'd like a peek. Thanks. ->
- [email protected]_rehn @davidoreilly @pixlpa The Machine has my number. I had been intending today to request, via Twitter, its credit-sequence font. in reply to daniel_rehn ->
- Belatedly made the connection that Yoko Ono had done interpretation for Kobo Abe, who had worked with her first husband, Toshi Ichiyanagi. ->
- So, Iron Man 3 lacks Black Sabbath’s “Iron Man”but it has Fashion Police, which has Kelly Osbourne, not that she’s in the movie. #confused ->
- Mistakenly thought installing the simple approach of todo.txt on my OS X laptop would be simpler. ->
- This restaurant's sound system is like one of those YouTube channels that has retained only the bass line of radio his. ->
- “Listening to radio waves / Underneath the covers.”I may interview Underworld’s Karl Hyde this week. Lemme know if you have questions. ->
- Fun care package in the mail today from @SoundCloud. #sccommunity #stickers #tshirt http://t.co/9wsVOY85OP ->
- I have seriously dug teaching this sound course this semester. ->
- Work is afoot on a Disquiet (.com) forum. Good to have place for @djunto folk to talk shop. Also: book/record/app discussions. ->
- Daniel Asia’s essays are like Jurassic Park classical music fan fiction. I hope to live long enough to discern our era’s myopias. ->
- Fun fact. On @soundcloud, William Basinski follows just three people, one of them being Giorgio Moroder. http://t.co/ulQ8H2CUyr ->
- This coming week's Disquiet Junto project, the 71st, is going to be majorly different from this week's. Can't wait to announce it. ->
- RIP, composer Steve Martland (b. 1959). His Factory/Catalyst stuff was heavy rotation for me. via @robinrimbaud ->
- Dear Musician on Label with SoundCloud Account: If the label posts music by you and you repost it, then it’s part of your feed. Magic! ->
- Ah, put them in a set and spotlight the set. MT @arbeemonkey: @disquiet only thing is that you cannot place them in your spotlight. ->
- I do wonder about that, too. MT @arbeemonkey: @disquiet I find it counter productive to have the same track on both artist and musician's SC ->
- I was up even earlier than usual today. The Tuesday noon siren feels a long way off. ->
- Ah, there it is. The Tuesday noon siren, right on time, echoing through a clear day. Now waiting for Mothra to land. ->
- “We’re standing inside an external hard drive made up of people and paper.”That line and credits glitch made the latest Person of Interest. ->
- “Shoofly don’t bother me / Go bother somebody else.”#honestnurseryrhyme courtesy of my 2.7-year-old. ->
- You reacquaint yourself with project management services, and again realize that for a solo project a few spreadsheets are all you need. ->
- Great interview with Karl Hyde just now, a half hour about fragments, sounds, songs, and urban life. ->
- If you are interested in helping test run (participate in) the in-progress Disquiet forum/board, shoot me a note. Cc @djunto ->
- Twitter really wants me to follow Gaslamp Killer and Joyce Carol Oates. ->
- OK, we've got a dozen-plus people already signed up to test out the Disquiet (.com) discussion forum. Looking forward to this. ->
- Today's sound class: equipment sales (Edison -> Dr. Dre); student presentations on competitive horse-carriage calls, sounds inherent in wine ->
- Hoping it's archived. MT @qDot: Wishing I could be at CCRMA to see Robert Henke speak. At least it's being streamed! http://t.co/gQL2VApiPv ->
- In a "How does Twitter know to recommend people I listened to yesterday on SoundCloud but don't even follow there?" mood. ->
- There are only four references to the 12 Tone Funk Orchestra in Google. ->
- Participation in this week's @djunto would benefit from the possession of a Vimeo account. ->
- We've got over two dozen people signed up to test run the Disquiet discussion/forum section. Looking forward to this. ->
- The company @crashplan provided excellent customer support. ->
- #IDMforensics ->
- This week's @djunto project is special. We make music for trailer for an independent film that is currently filming. Fascinating subject. ->
- Any @djunto people in/near New Haven, Connecticut? I'll be there for my college reunion in a few weeks. ->
- I am so excited about this week's Disquiet Junto project. Launches in a moment. #musicfortrailer ->
- This week @djunto makes music for trailer of @SenseTheWind documentary about blind sailors: http://t.co/XjWrMj8rJr http://t.co/YLiHqD8rmz ->
- Major thanks to @SenseTheWind director Christine Knowlton for letting the @djunto collective try its hand at music for her film’s trailer. ->
- Blind sailors. Subject of a documentary we make music for this weekend. First track: http://t.co/ZFVOFJxjbw Film: http://t.co/CFGn3mqpMm ->
- Noon bells. Traffic. Birds. ->
- What joke made Brian Eno, Laurie Anderson, David Byrne, and Michael Stipe laugh this much? http://t.co/S3wgQo4yGc. Via @TheKitchen_NYC gala, ->
- Southland cancelled. The only U.S. drama that had the guts to not use a score. ->
- Is there a popular movie within the Planet of the Apes where apes go to a planet ruled by horses? ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.