- RIP, Lou Reed (71). It'll be a Hudson River Meditations day. ->
- Read article for free about not doing things for free by guy who acknowledges he did something for free. ->
- The ambient music of Lou Reed, RIP: http://t.co/EeN4jebTth ->
- Yes! MT @_muncky: best thing about this week's @djunto: it demands you take time to listen rather than just produce: http://t.co/QAf7B9MzCW ->
- RT @RBMA: 15 conversations with people who have shaped the way we listen to music. Out soon. #fortherecord #rbma15 http://t.co/S0U0oXhetC ->
- Kudos to @geetadayal for getting at the tranformative experience of listening to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music: http://t.co/KTciZa62T2 ->
- Layers FTW. MT @boondesign: @disquiet I was listening to SAWII + Stars of the Lid: Refinement was playing underneath on Spotify. Surreal. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- It's been almost two years since the Insta/gr/ambient compilation but SoundCloud + Instagram finally made good on it: http://t.co/HQqh6EX8Sy ->
- Still in the "looks forward to looking forward to SHIELD" state. ->
- Someone takes the time to post a lengthy negative response to an obituary yet doesn't sign name or use real email address? Ah, discourse. ->
- RIP, William C. Lowe (b. 1941), who oversaw the launch of the IBM PC (b. 1981): http://t.co/VKLOo4DnDR ->
- I like XXL and read it every month but every time I read XXL I just miss Scratch. ->
- RIP, Lou Reed (71). It'll be a Hudson River Meditations day. ->
- Today in sound class: the human voice (public address systems, spokespeople, phone menus). Particular focus on Dr Nina Power & pop futurism. ->
- Great in-class presentations by students today on the sounds inherent in pool halls and in domestic kitchens. ->
- Psyched to have essay in book alongside @chairmanmaonyc @DDDrewDaniel @peterkirn @PhilipSherburne + + + http://t.co/2R3rhitn9k #fortherecord ->
- Tonight we moved our monthly SoundCloud API development group to @carbonfive. ->
- Question 1: When will Google Drive spreadsheets be available offline on Macs? ->
- Question 2: When is A$AP Rocky's instrumental album, Beauty and the Beast: Slowed Down Sessions (Chapter 1), finally coming out? ->
- One good thing about my glasses: on Halloween all I do is let a bit of a Superman t-shirt be visible from inside my outer shirt ->
- Nothing is scarier than witnessing company after company trying to make itself relevant to Halloween or vice versa. ->
- That thing where you waste time looking for ways to make OS X allow you to right click to create a new txt file. ->
- It's a good day to listen to Kid Koala. Which is to say, it's a day. ->
- Peculiar sentence born of circumstance: Disquiet Junto project #96 (Lou Reed tribute) goes out shortly, now that Halloween has abated. ->
- The 96th weekly Disquiet Junto begins. Due this coming Monday. A noise tribute to Lou Reed: http://t.co/iJoAHHGg2b #metalmachinemuse #rip ->
- Already 2 tracks in Metal Machine Music tribute. Copper, steel, gold: https://t.co/HO62bSx3PQ Brass, nickel: https://t.co/755tuzGVPL #riplou ->
- Q: Did you know RealPlayer is now RealPlayer Cloud? A: No, I didn't. ->
- I'm only just beginning to use it much, but this now exists: http://t.co/Z35kkEyEk7. ->
- I'm looking for a part-time paid research assistant with interest in sound, tech, music, media, art. Bay Area preferred but not essential. ->
- Pretty sure my three-year-old would enjoy it if asked to accompany me to a Saturday afternoon Ableton Push clinic at Robotspeak. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0450 / Texture Analysis / The Assignment: Create a piece of music from sounds related to working with rocks.
• 0449 / Page Machine / The Assignment: Read a page of text from a book as if it were a musical score.
• 0448 / Seamless Bridge / The Assignment: Create a 20-second piece of music to connect two preexisting 20-second pieces of music.
• 0447 / Listen Ahead / The Assignment: Make some music for the near future.
• 0446 / WWWLDD / The Assignment: Celebrate World Listening Day for the whole weekend.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 450 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments