- RT @benjamindauer: With 8,700+ plays and 130+ downloads, my @disquiet remix for @nilsfrahm remains my most popular track. Thank you! https”¦ ->
- I've no doubt gotten a lot more use out of my (gen 2) Nexus 7 by not putting it in a case, but the thing is taking a beating. ->
- 21 tracks (so far) in tribute to the late Lou Reed and his classic Metal Machine Music: http://t.co/R2Qujl5ath ->
- Street music. #readymade #speaker #urbanstudies #gadget #waste #progress http://t.co/brGTJRxjUW ->
- "An obscure guitar pedal was for him another kind of poem." Patti Smith on Lou Reed: http://t.co/7NhB9jeo5O via @pheezy ->
- The calendar in Mavericks is a huge improvement. It's downright elegant. ->
- Now 28 tracks inspired by the late Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music: http://t.co/cEZ52F7IZ9. And still almost half a day to go. ->
- Just sent email newsletter to http://t.co/A2xaR3KK3n list with contest for free 33 1/3 sampler. To subscribe, here: http://t.co/7gtoM0uy6N ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- I haven't been to Japan in about four years. Maybe I should start thinking about October 2014, when Red Bull Music Academy lands there. ->
- Been reading Dave Eggers' The Circle. So far I've learned that he uses commas even more often than I do. I need to step up my game. ->
- Any sufficiently advanced use of technology is described as hacking. ->
- Getting excited about the Oulipo sound workshop I'll run at San Francisco Art Institute this Saturday: http://t.co/vtqV0931iR ->
- Bingo. MT @AnnieGilbertson: Fitting for meeting I'm sitting in discussing #lausd student "hacking". They just deleted security file #nomagic ->
- Thing I learned today: updates of Arthur C. Clarke quotes are of interest to people. #magic ->
- My edit of Clarke's 3rd law came after I read opening of Eggers' The Circle + headline about Mayor Ford hiring "hacker" to delete the video. ->
- Tomorrow in the sound class I teach: student "sound audits" of various consumer products. Next week: what sound looks like. ->
- static gif #recentretronyms ->
- Yo, Google: Any sense of when spreadsheets will work offline in OS X? #nudge ->
- Jealous. MT @mrbiggsdotcom: Cardiff's 40-part motet at Cloisters, in Fuentiduenas Chapel. Thought of you @disquiet http://t.co/YCiMlDA2kQ ->
- Great student presentations today in sound class (1) about breathing in yoga and (2) about audio in film. ->
- Sad to read about Internet Archive's fire damage, but sounds like it's OK. Great resource online and neighbor here in the Richmond District. ->
- Maybe we need to sort out some sort of @NASAJuno Junto. ->
- Kinda hoped OuPhoPo was a workshop for potential Vietnamese food, but is happy to look at experimental photography. ->
- "What's this box with the levers on it next to the turntables?" Kid Koala on taking his Jazzy Jeff LP to RadioShack: http://t.co/Q49pk1jPM5 ->
- San FranciscOuLiPo: last night at City Lights, tonight at Mechanics Inst, Friday at Green Apple, Saturday at SFAI: http://t.co/INt3wG28eo ->
- Vague relief that Mail-app freezing issues in OS X Mavericks is being addressed: http://t.co/CYJS4GZoqz. Still visiting Geniuses tomorrow. ->
- OS X Maverick, in which Apple plays cards with your data's fate. #badjamesgarnerjoke ->
- Just tried Ford Madox Ford's "Page 99 Test" on my Aphex Twin / SAW2 book and it's all drones, power-grid hum, and movie scores. Not bad. ->
- Speaker on rear of crossing-signal button box. #urbanstudies. #traffic #yellow #electricbirds http://t.co/iCZRtG5ZrL ->
- Checking out the SFAI room where this Saturday I'm running an Oulipo/Disquiet Junto sound workshop. http://t.co/KLZrtPFzsx #oumupo ->
- Tonight at the SF Mechanics' Institute, 3 Oulipians & 1 fellow Pessoa-head read from 50 years of experimental writing http://t.co/B1ZfM6MgnZ ->
- TRS-808 is my new DJ name. ->
- In light of the Oulipo activity in San Francisco this week, the Disquiet Junto will have a literary theme, transforming words into music. ->
- Hope you can join in. MT @c_yantis: Thrilled, though honestly not that surprised, to see that Ford Madox Ford has found his way into a Junto ->
- Do it up! #bonkers RT @Le_Berger: An 80 notes melody? That @djunto guy is bonkers. ->
- Re-upped with a Mechanics Institute Library membership today. Was a member back in the late 1990s when I first moved to San Francisco. ->
- Thanks to a tweet by @DavidjHendy ( https://t.co/oov7cychVb ) for inspiring this week's @djunto project: http://t.co/PT8LBLTJ4q ->
- Great fun this evening at the Oulipo event at the Mechanics' Institute. Tomorrow at Green Apple, Saturday at San Francisco Art Institute. ->
- Judging by io9 comments today people hate cliffhangers more than spoilers so much that they support spoilers about cliffhangers. #9timesfast ->
- MT @mutagene: wrote ruby script to help with week's disquiet junto https://t.co/bDouSIiSbp . accuracy not guaranteed. now for the hard part. ->
- Love when stuff is added to @academia it says "uploaded a paper on http://t.co/oDJvAqVamI" as if every paper's about http://t.co/oDJvAqVamI. ->
- RIP, San Francisco DJ/musician Cheb I Sabbah (1947-2013): http://t.co/rOGTYg7P5s http://t.co/eTrcNJp4Lx ->
- Headed to Green Apple books shortly for the evening's reading of work by the late Georges Perec. Tomorrow: Oulipo sound workshop at SFAI. ->
- A helpful reminder during the Q&A that plenty of Oulipo, public readings aside, isn't funny. Takes pressure off tomorrow's music event. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0456 / Line Up / The Assignment: Interpret a painting by Agnes Martin as if it were a graphic score.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 456 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments