- Nice reflection on the two recent Oulipo-themed Junto projects by a participant: http://t.co/fBle5dAY2d ->
- Houston, we have a problem: on my phone/tablet, magazines hog more drive space than do video games. ->
- Very much on my mind. MT @ioflow: idea for @djunto #0101: something in or inspired by binary. ->
- Time-Life Books #computers #digitalnostalgia http://t.co/LpS4JVf8Q1 ->
- Pretty nifty getting Crystal Method to score Almost Human. ->
- Audio of Boston Symphony Orchestra on Nov 22, 1963, as conductor Erich Leinsdorf announces JFK assassination: http://t.co/AewiArRvoh ->
- Via Almost Human: Segway & Blade Runner exist in the future; phones are longer; the Karl Urban model upgrades earlier Robert Forster model. ->
- Score-oriented Netflix viewers will want to know that The American and Only God Forgives are both streaming now. ->
- So, does everyone with an iTunes account get that One Direction pre-order email? Why in this day and age spam the world? ->
- I've been on Android since the G1. I dig it. But this whole "the new OS is here but isn't here" thing has gotta get sorted. #kitkat #4point4 ->
- The Powerball ads with a red ball among many white balls? Maybe it's the maudlin "California Dreamin'" but I always think: cancer cell. ->
- Finally really blocking out a little time to learn Pd. ->
- Assumed something might be buggy, maybe even crash regularly, in OS X Mavericks. Never thought it'd be, of all things, Preview. ->
- Thought Ealy's Almost Human character is a DRM (not DRN) and the whole thing a metaphor for intersection of code and law. Well, not really. ->
- Lengthy conversation with our 3-year-old, who wants to sing "The Antelope Song." Eventually it becomes clear this is "Home on the Range." ->
- Excited about the new Arnold Lobel exhibit at @Jewseum. I remain convinced that Frog is John Cage and Toad is Morton Feldman. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Hopeful for a Crystal Method album of its Almost Human cues, no track longer than 15 seconds. ->
- selvie: 2014 word of the year, taking picture of your jeans ->
- celvie: 2015 word of the year, taking picture of your DNA ->
- cellvie: 2016 word of the year, taking picture of your tiny apartment ->
- sylvie: 2017 word of the year, taking picture of your favorite tree ->
- salivie: 2018 word of the year, taking picture of your tongue ->
- tsilfie: 2019 word of the year, taking picture of your favorite esoteric Star Wars wikipedia page ->
- Hadn't turned my iPad on in awhile. There are 75 app updates. ->
- Today in sound class, one of my favorite lectures: music and social networks; making stuff together separately; "ambient participation." ->
- The brief Boing Boing link/article about Madrigal's solid piece on Eggers' novel has more comments than the original post. Fascinating. ->
- (San Francisco side note.) Whoever thought up the Muni 5L, I'd like to buy you a beer. ->
- I love playing Kanye West and King Crimson in klass. ->
- This week's Disquiet Junto project is the 99th weekly. It will be about video games. ->
- Great blog entry by @CityLightsBooks on the Oulipo events of a week or so back, including the Junto workshop: http://t.co/VVVivLwQV3 ->
- Music from airports: http://t.co/S4BYjmwrZ2. A sonic portrait by Monolake. ->
- I'll be listening to this new Damu the Fudgemunk instrumental hip-hop set on @REDEFrecords all day: http://t.co/Z6sv3yhgPZ ->
- Is "Mechanical Turk" problematic the way "welsh" and "gypped" are? Or does it get a pass because it's about an instance not an ethnicity? ->
- Today will mark 99 weekly Disquiet Junto projects in a row. Amazing. Thanks to all the participants and listeners! http://t.co/NaHsmprKac ->
- "Guy manning the sound board for a performance": http://t.co/72UHoChrxR. Guttenfelder's North Korea Instagram photos: http://t.co/blqGfYG8MY ->
- Taking time off Damu the Fudgemunk for 12 hip-hop instrumentals by L'Orange from underneath his album with Stik Figa: http://t.co/lGWHkXabeF ->
- Chang's Beatles mix has 41k listens. His account has 138 followers. Short tail of NYT embed: https://t.co/GOSSXbcObz http://t.co/iLNYZ7xagl ->
- I need an app recommendation: an iOS 6 app that can do TTS (text to speech) from ePub. (On Android I use the great FBReader.) #prettyplease ->
- From interview I did in 1998. Me: "This is Marc Weidenbaum and I'm with http://t.co/pPaBYPrpOg." Philip Glass: "What is that?" ->
- Cassette from 1998. Great pair of interviews (Philip Glass, David Holmes) within two weeks, both on working in film: http://t.co/X4xCwhqVco ->
- Needed to bust this out today when I realized I wouldn't be at the office and needed to review archival interviews. http://t.co/wTfJRIjYkL ->
- News alert: the 99th Disquiet Junto will involve, like, notes and stuff. Yeah, notes. ->
- Project 99 in @djunto ( http://t.co/D44FGiOJ5I ) explores Xbox One startup sound. Informed by a @kirkhamilton post: http://t.co/lgCUPlZyu0. ->
- Looking forward to premiere of final season of Nikita. A favorite sound moment from last year: http://t.co/KjHfrPvAGY ->
- At 41,000 streams of his White Album layers, Rutherford Chang had just 138 SoundCloud followers. With nearly 69,000, he's up merely 36 more. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0463 / Making the Gradient / The Assignment: Make a piece of music inspired by the concept of a gradient.
• 0462 / Vade in Pace / The Assignment: Write a short piece of music that gets slower and slower as it proceeds.
• 0461 / Goldilocks Zone / The Assignment: Navigate a sonic space between the hospitable and the inhospitable.
• 0460 / Creative Destruction / The Assignment: Show how you got to a tortured sound.
• 0459 / From a Distance / The Assignment: Make music intended to be heard from afar.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 463 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments