- "Building a Stairway to Hearing," "Take 5’s": titles in upcoming Acoustical Society of America's technical meetings: http://t.co/nDB8yRFWkr ->
- It's a Kev Brown instrumentals morning. ->
- Google Hangouts is nifty but, based on recent experience, response time and interface are not SMS-ready yet. ->
- Oval put up his great "hyperreal" band release the Oh EP for free download: http://t.co/JWzQ8EQnl1. Free for a limited time. ->
- Thanks! MT @bldgblog: And @disquiet will be hosting some acoustic thoughts and electronic sonic ambience on @Gizmodo: http://t.co/2egRy26fnd ->
- It's 2013 and people still freak when an email list accidentally goes from one-to-all to all-to-all. (For the record, not one of my lists.) ->
- Oooh, my Nexus 7 just got 4.4. ->
- Excited to have http://t.co/0sUii6Un65 join http://t.co/iI8LCKRNyd + http://t.co/knBSYOh2nb beneath the Gizmodo umbrella. ->
- http://t.co/1z7O7QbuD5 #nifty ->
- I've got a $50 credit to the OS X App Store and for the life of me I can't think of anything I particularly need. ->
- No everyday word seems to confuse Swype-style keyboards as much as "thanks" does. ->
- When bitcoin hits its 21 million cap, Steven Moffat will figure a way out of it. ->
- Hobby: collecting breathless descriptions of retina screens in advance of 4k arrival. ->
- Me too: MT @ablerism: Pleased to join @nathanunbound @disquiet! RT @Gizmodo: Say hello to 3 new subdomains on Gizmodo http://t.co/ERpEnYjwFP ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FPYND6scRB ->
- Can't find it online, but the hyperreal face-mask trailer for The Following is hella "Come to Daddy." ->
- Now my Nexus 4 has 4.4, so it's caught up with my Nexus 7. Email and Feedly are a little troublesome, but it'll work out fine. ->
- It used to be that a good article had a good ending — but I’d say these days a good article “ends”with good comments. ->
- The Unsilent Night schedule is online: http://t.co/3X9DwoJVpC. Brussels, NYC, and Saskatoon are booked. San Francisco is TBA. ->
- [email protected] If a single was often an ad for an album, then a video was often an ad for an ad. in reply to westyreflector ->
- Tomorrow is Thanksgiving … and the 100th (!) weekly @djunto project. ->
- No sound class this week. Next week: online communities, digital music retail, mapping cultural connections. ->
- Looking forward to #BlackMetalFriday. It's gonna be a full day of playlists seeded with Sunn O))) + Celtic Frost + Slayer. ->
- I'm thankful for lots, but for the moment I'll restrict myself to the 400+ Disquiet Junto folks who share their time and creativity weekly. ->
- The first @djunto project was about ice, way back the first week of January 2012. The 100th weekly project (tonight!) is about vapor. ->
- Please record the sound of water boiling and make something of it: http://t.co/24OADPUIZw. ->
- Major thanks to @soundcloud for hosting the @djunto projects! Here's to another 100 consecutive weeks: http://t.co/4C8WH92xro ->
- The Rankin/Bass “Frosty the Snowman”is weird. It's like a musical with just one song. ->
- Kitchen glitch. MT @lownote: Spring on tea kettle broke as I went to record for @djunto. Bummer until I heard the frustrated sound it made. ->
- Main sound in house now: dryer. Deep drone emanates from back of house, but clatter of zippers bounces off dining-room wall. Surround sound. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• Autumn, 2019: I'll have a new piece in The Wire.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• March 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0415 / Seasonal Metal / The Assignment: Tinsel is your latest instrument.
• 0414 / Mod Cons / The Assignment: Compose one or more sounds for an appliance/device/gadget of your own choosing.
• 0413 / Objective Thankfulness / The Assignment: Highlight one piece of musical equipment for which you are particularly grateful.
• 0412 / One Chord Wonder / The Assignment: Play an extended chord where the instrumentation of each note changes as the piece proceeds.
• 0411 / Wrapped Up / The Assignment: Record a piece of music as a gift for someone special to you.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 415 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments
Patrick Glynn: "Hello, I’m looking forward to hearing what you’ve been listening to. Thanks, Patrick "
Michael Mennell: "ok, glad I could help. Do you have a link to that MicroFreak video btw? I had posted it to our..."
Michael: "Yesterday, this post had a video (mistakenly?) linked at the top featuring a MicroFreak. What was that?..."
Marc Arsenault: "Are you saying, it’s like a smurf’s arm with a plum in its fist? "
David Neale-Lorello: "Would Thomas Dolby be one of the heroes or the mascot? "