- UPS delivers box. It rattles. Deliverer expresses resignation: contents broken. Deliverer is informed it is Duplo blocks. Deliverer smiles. ->
- Super-minimal techno made from the sounds of three analog switches. A track from the 101st weekly Disquiet Jun”¦ â™« http://t.co/LbkP5bTAD2 ->
- Spoiler anxiety is so high, I eagerly await people complaining that waveform visualization spoils the good parts of new songs. ->
- Confused that Metallica didn't play "Trapped Under Ice" at its Antarctica gig. #sadbuttrue ->
- RT @SoundCloud: There are 5 days left in the competition to find the Most Beautiful Sound in the World. Enter a captured sound today: http:”¦ ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol II disappeared from US iTunes for several months. Now back with track #s replacing makeshift titles. ->
- "On" and "Ventolin," the two Aphex Twin EPs/singles that bookended Selected Ambient Works Vol II, now on Rdio. ->
- San Francisco Tape Music Fest has been announced: http://t.co/yNJVfOPznZ Features: Hafler, Reich, Payne, Xenakis, Caruthers, Westerkamp … ->
- Nice. If you use Nova Launcher on Android, the KitKat-UX update just went live. Full bleed on wallpaper (under navigation) is nice. ->
- Tomorrow in sound class: soundwalk in downtown San Francisco, discussion of Southland (TV), selling of audio equipment (e.g., headphones). ->
- Leave it to me to schedule a soundwalk during one of San Francisco's most bitter cold snaps in recent memory. We'll start indoors, for sure. ->
- Playing browser-tab Jenga again. ->
- "It’s very unfair voting. It’s who you know.”That's Woody Allen in Take the Money and Run on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted List. #time ->
- RIP, jazz guitarist Jim Hall (83): http://t.co/6ZOul2SqRy ->
- RIP, former Napster executive Milton Olin, Jr. (65): http://t.co/WvceeWZFUN ->
- mid-mid-season penultimate, post-mid-season denouement, off-season easter egg, alternate-reality reality tv, canonical spin-off ->
- Misread something about midseason finales on the CW and thought it meant the cast needed to take a break to study for finals. ->
- Morning downtown soundwalk plans: Nordstrom merchandising, Yerba Buena MLK waterfall, Salvation Army bells, Market St listening sculpture. ->
- Last student presentation today: mantra (om, aum). Things came full circle to our discussion of Gordon Hempton's idea of "American mantra." ->
- Took class on soundwalk of downtown San Francisco. We were confronted by evangelical with battery-powered megaphone. A kind of serendipity. ->
- RIP, Joe Bihari (88), early r&b record label founder: http://t.co/GrZjC11gpG ->
- Cibo Matto and Luscious Jackson both have new records. Who would make that a trifecta? ->
- President of your college sends alumni holiday card. Photo is credited to member of class of '15. You're not sure if it's 2015 or 1915. ->
- That not-so-distant future when all bricks'n'mortar businesses are food, medicine, or tech support — and the lines between those blur. ->
- Not a speaker: http://t.co/3kSam3SriE ->
- RIP, New Orleans music advocate George Buck (84): http://t.co/hTlfp4WDvo. Been 10+ years since I left NOLA. I gotta get back for a visit. ->
- Writing about sound in art. Which of course means writing about the Parker novel Deadly Edge. ->
- Man, only two more Disquiet Junto projects for 2013. Bunch of cool stuff planned for 2014, including getting back into live concert events. ->
- By the way, the plan for the 102nd weekly @DJunto project will be: sonic tinsel. It goes live shortly. ->
- There's word that Polish noise musician Zbigniew Karkowski (b. 1958) passed away. I interviewed him back in 2000: http://t.co/MkTe1sITto ->
- The 102nd Disquiet Junto project is live. Make secular holiday music: http://t.co/PTgLYsNweA + http://t.co/FlT55RXosD ->
- Man, the new WordPress admin dashboard looks good. ->
- Disappointed. Was expecting BeyoncÃ©'s next project to be an Andy Goldsworthy collaboration. ->
- Every time I re-read Rashomon it's like it's a different story. ->
- 17 years ago this afternoon I purchased the Disquiet .com URL. Here are 17 sentences reflecting on that time: http://t.co/RaIwoWW1Z1 ->
- WordPress 3.8 is named Parker in honor of Charlie Parker, but I'm just going to lie to myself and say it's the Westlake/Stark character. ->
- Pretty much going on a social-network break until Jan 6, 2014. See you on the other side. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice