- Morning sounds: ice cracking in my coffee, refrigerator on stun, trash collectors passing in street. ->
- It was quite nice to be largely off social media for a couple weeks, but it's good to be back. ->
- First day of new year back at my desk. Drinking my iced coffee. Listening to music made of sound of ice in a glass: https://t.co/rhNutPVub8 ->
- Not sure which I enjoyed more: the "frak" in the premiere of Helix or the "ka-ching" elevator cue at start of most recent The Good Wife. ->
- Yes, this coming Thursday's new Disquiet Junto project will be about the weather. ->
- Evening sounds: laptop typing, passing automobiles (some evidently ignoring a well-lit stop sign), general electric hum. ->
- And there's that time a Dubai art gallery asked me to recommend 10 works of sound art — and then hung it on the wall: http://t.co/CaMXq5hjKp ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Yo, people at CES this week, did any of you spy any new Nexus 7 (2013 model) keyboard cases? ->
- The choreography-themed Disquiet Junto project is getting closer. It relates, tangentially, to my Aphex Twin book. Details in near future. ->
- iPad busker: http://t.co/zBpNJnGIQv #instagram #music #urbanstudies #415 ->
- Stoked. I'll be teaching my course on sound in the media landscape again this semester at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. ->
- Regarding previous post, people get awful confused on the bus if the automated ticketing machine doesn't beep when swiped. ->
- In San Francisco before Jan 31? Get to Highlight Gallery (Kearny St) for Chris Fraser show. Enter with 1 eye closed: http://t.co/uYoZozt1cX ->
- RIP, Amiri Baraka (b. 1934). His book Blues People is pretty essential reading. ->
- You know the day you go to the library for some quiet to get some work done is the day they are installing new bookshelves with hand drills. ->
- Treat the weather chart as a graphically notated score: http://t.co/Rkg9R2iwVI. Cc @djunto ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0489 / The Prestige / The Assignment: Apply some magic to ABA form.
• 0488 / Reverse Delay / The Assignment: Do something you've been putting off.
• 0487 / Carillon Quotidian / The Assignment: Turn a recurring sound from your life into music.
• 0486 / Earths Days / The Assignment: Celebrate Earth Day on or for another planet.
• 0485 / Strange Weather / The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer's traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 489 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments