- Morning sounds: ice cracking in my coffee, refrigerator on stun, trash collectors passing in street. ->
- It was quite nice to be largely off social media for a couple weeks, but it's good to be back. ->
- First day of new year back at my desk. Drinking my iced coffee. Listening to music made of sound of ice in a glass: https://t.co/rhNutPVub8 ->
- Not sure which I enjoyed more: the "frak" in the premiere of Helix or the "ka-ching" elevator cue at start of most recent The Good Wife. ->
- Yes, this coming Thursday's new Disquiet Junto project will be about the weather. ->
- Evening sounds: laptop typing, passing automobiles (some evidently ignoring a well-lit stop sign), general electric hum. ->
- And there's that time a Dubai art gallery asked me to recommend 10 works of sound art — and then hung it on the wall: http://t.co/CaMXq5hjKp ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Yo, people at CES this week, did any of you spy any new Nexus 7 (2013 model) keyboard cases? ->
- The choreography-themed Disquiet Junto project is getting closer. It relates, tangentially, to my Aphex Twin book. Details in near future. ->
- iPad busker: http://t.co/zBpNJnGIQv #instagram #music #urbanstudies #415 ->
- Stoked. I'll be teaching my course on sound in the media landscape again this semester at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. ->
- Regarding previous post, people get awful confused on the bus if the automated ticketing machine doesn't beep when swiped. ->
- In San Francisco before Jan 31? Get to Highlight Gallery (Kearny St) for Chris Fraser show. Enter with 1 eye closed: http://t.co/uYoZozt1cX ->
- RIP, Amiri Baraka (b. 1934). His book Blues People is pretty essential reading. ->
- You know the day you go to the library for some quiet to get some work done is the day they are installing new bookshelves with hand drills. ->
- Treat the weather chart as a graphically notated score: http://t.co/Rkg9R2iwVI. Cc @djunto ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0525 / Magic Number (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio.
• 0524 / Sunset Waveform / The Assignment: Read a photo like a graphic score.
• 0523 / Chill Communication / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0522 / Just Backdated / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0521 / Cannon Canon / The Assignment: Make a martial round.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 525 consecutive weeks to date.