- These Divergent movie posters were designed to remind me what a role Robert Heinlein played in young-adult sci fi. ->
- 5 years ago this week Max Neuhaus died and I first wrote about Diego Bernal's music: http://t.co/zCD4N5tyKQ. 15 years ago I wrote on "NP." ->
- Arvo Pärt cover ("Fratres") attributed to A Winged Victory for the Sullen and ACME Ensemble: http://t.co/ff7kAZMk4v. ->
- RT @hecanjog: First listen to SAWII after reading the first half of Marc Weidenbaum's SAWII book! #nowplaying ->
- Fun is writing about a live event only to have someone who attended chime in in the comments: http://t.co/yZYl2PwJV1 ->
- Hopeful that Alexandre Desplat's Godzilla score is more Syriana and less Monuments Men. ->
- We should read JG Ballard's High Rise as San Francisco's One City One Book 2014. (Last year it was @doctorow's Little Brother.) ->
- Yes, I paused the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer for the trailer in order to get a glimpse of the raccoon. ->
- RIP, Bob Casale (61) of Devo: http://t.co/onRDD0Plgj ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- "A Rusty Obelisk Made Out of Angel Sighs": @editaurus has folks praise Aphex Twin SAW2 on its 20th: http://t.co/l3FEcCrkwh ->
- Meant it more as a joke yesterday, but today just mean it: the 2014 One City One Book in San Francisco should be JG Ballard's High Rise. ->
- My early experience of Devo was on tapes dubbed from vinyl by a friend. Years later I discovered the tapes were faster than the originals. ->
- Happy to read that my Aphex Twin book is in stock at @sakistore in Chicago. ->
- Most beatific smile I saw today was on the face of guy having a cup of coffee and reading a Star Trek novel. ->
- RT @newbsradio: Listen to find out how you can win these books and bags to carry said books from @333books and @disquiet! http://t.co/3J5MX”¦ ->
- Reminder that I'm talking at Stanford's CCRMA facility tomorrow if you're in the Palo Alto area: http://t.co/Ccx521nshV. It's at 5:15pm. ->
- Truly doesn't think you can fully get Cage and Feldman until you've read Frog and Toad. #hasa3yearold ->
- Today's sound class: origins of the jingle; did advertising inventory shape song form? Plus: Reznor/Ross/Fincher, Dennis Potter, Southland. ->
- Gave my first non-podcast, in-person public yap tonight at CCRMA. It was a great experience. Read a bit, but much more lecture than reading. ->
- Also a first: signed my first book. A kid at Comic-Con once had me sign a copy of Shonen Jump, but this was my own book, which was cool. ->
- Great moment: showed Disquiet Junto screenshot, and in the audience was a Junto member who appeared on that page. Had never met him before. ->
- Weirdest thing about Aphex SAW2 after 20 years of listening and 1 year of writing: how familiar it is, having once been unknowable to me. ->
- Those little Altoids Smalls cases sure do a fine job of holding and protecting a pair of earbuds. Bonus: minty fresh hearing. ->
- RT @333books: Great 20th anniversary article on SAWII in @theQuietus by @NedRaggett with a nod to @disquiet's book: http://t.co/mNGi9sTBSF ->
- RIP, Paul Colby (96), owner of the Bitter End: http://t.co/7PuejoZWfJ ->
- RT @SactownMagazine: Former Tower Records magazine editor (@disquiet) writes the book — literally — on music legend Aphex Twin: http://t.”¦ ->
- I need to come up with a gesticulation that means “I’m reading a really long subsidiary clause right now." ->
- "Hot new games + music to celebrate Black History Month" (From a Google Play Store email.) ->
- This week's @djunto project is calendrical. ->
- Photo of server room at Stanford's CCRMA facility, where I gave a talk last night on my Aphex Twin SAW2 33 1/3 book: http://t.co/mchfxlAyW9 ->
- Photo of innards of a Yamaha GS1 retrofitted with an Arduino to allow for a USB connection, also at CCRMA. http://t.co/Hi2jzprpSH ->
- I believe you've written my first blurb, sir. MT @robsheff "love how it evokes the way music circa 1994 was suffused with unknowable data." in reply to robsheff ->
- Many of us Aphex SAW2 listeners go to sleep listening to an album Chris Morris used as background music for his menacing comedy sketches. ->
- Hey, Alarm Will Sound is on Instagram: http://t.co/PGKZ34rVnE. #yieldtoartintransit ->
- Whenever I see this sign I wonder why @AlarmWillSound isn't the headliner: http://t.co/CIbgxRsB8Q ->
- "I have no more power ups." "They're attacking wooden posts." "4,000 Damage? One Guy? Dude." Conversation overheard in library. #gamestudies ->
- I contributed #TheNewOldThing on @YahooTech: The Latin Playboys' 1994 (yes, Aphex Twin SAW2 fans) debut: @YahooTech: https://t.co/U70dfT1khy ->
- It's possible to be pro-CC and pro-CCC at the same time. This "Artists’ Pay for Radio Play" stuff is important: http://t.co/RpkGAjUmpI ->
- #wikipedia I wonder if I could get one of them to add my book to the Aphex Twin SAW2 page: http://t.co/fqwYHiDhRp #editathon ->
- If (1) you have a 2013 Macbook Air and (2) use Google Hangouts and (3) video functions for you, please let me know. Thanks. #magicfail ->
- I enthusiastically support performers being paid for their covers. But the acts doing damage on this cafe's radio shouldn't make a penny. ->
- Is isn't Kiev, but with the right mix of caffeine and '80s rock covers I imagine people storming the counter and changing the radio station. ->
- Oh yeah, the book's out. Updated that Twitter bio. ->
- Hey, San Francisco Hive Mind: please recommend good Indian or Latin American restaurant near Caltrain stop between San Bruno + Belmont. ->
- RT @derderdebonair: So psyched about this #Berio concert poster I made. http://t.co/VRsGSHiIpy ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0524 / Sunset Waveform / The Assignment: Read a photo like a graphic score.
• 0523 / Chill Communication / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0522 / Just Backdated / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0521 / Cannon Canon / The Assignment: Make a martial round.
• 0520 / On the Clock / The Assignment: Get that thing done before the end of the year.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 524 consecutive weeks to date.