- These Divergent movie posters were designed to remind me what a role Robert Heinlein played in young-adult sci fi. ->
- 5 years ago this week Max Neuhaus died and I first wrote about Diego Bernal's music: http://t.co/zCD4N5tyKQ. 15 years ago I wrote on "NP." ->
- Arvo Pärt cover ("Fratres") attributed to A Winged Victory for the Sullen and ACME Ensemble: http://t.co/ff7kAZMk4v. ->
- RT @hecanjog: First listen to SAWII after reading the first half of Marc Weidenbaum's SAWII book! #nowplaying ->
- Fun is writing about a live event only to have someone who attended chime in in the comments: http://t.co/yZYl2PwJV1 ->
- Hopeful that Alexandre Desplat's Godzilla score is more Syriana and less Monuments Men. ->
- We should read JG Ballard's High Rise as San Francisco's One City One Book 2014. (Last year it was @doctorow's Little Brother.) ->
- Yes, I paused the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer for the trailer in order to get a glimpse of the raccoon. ->
- RIP, Bob Casale (61) of Devo: http://t.co/onRDD0Plgj ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- "A Rusty Obelisk Made Out of Angel Sighs": @editaurus has folks praise Aphex Twin SAW2 on its 20th: http://t.co/l3FEcCrkwh ->
- Meant it more as a joke yesterday, but today just mean it: the 2014 One City One Book in San Francisco should be JG Ballard's High Rise. ->
- My early experience of Devo was on tapes dubbed from vinyl by a friend. Years later I discovered the tapes were faster than the originals. ->
- Happy to read that my Aphex Twin book is in stock at @sakistore in Chicago. ->
- Most beatific smile I saw today was on the face of guy having a cup of coffee and reading a Star Trek novel. ->
- RT @newbsradio: Listen to find out how you can win these books and bags to carry said books from @333books and @disquiet! http://t.co/3J5MX”¦ ->
- Reminder that I'm talking at Stanford's CCRMA facility tomorrow if you're in the Palo Alto area: http://t.co/Ccx521nshV. It's at 5:15pm. ->
- Truly doesn't think you can fully get Cage and Feldman until you've read Frog and Toad. #hasa3yearold ->
- Today's sound class: origins of the jingle; did advertising inventory shape song form? Plus: Reznor/Ross/Fincher, Dennis Potter, Southland. ->
- Gave my first non-podcast, in-person public yap tonight at CCRMA. It was a great experience. Read a bit, but much more lecture than reading. ->
- Also a first: signed my first book. A kid at Comic-Con once had me sign a copy of Shonen Jump, but this was my own book, which was cool. ->
- Great moment: showed Disquiet Junto screenshot, and in the audience was a Junto member who appeared on that page. Had never met him before. ->
- Weirdest thing about Aphex SAW2 after 20 years of listening and 1 year of writing: how familiar it is, having once been unknowable to me. ->
- Those little Altoids Smalls cases sure do a fine job of holding and protecting a pair of earbuds. Bonus: minty fresh hearing. ->
- RT @333books: Great 20th anniversary article on SAWII in @theQuietus by @NedRaggett with a nod to @disquiet's book: http://t.co/mNGi9sTBSF ->
- RIP, Paul Colby (96), owner of the Bitter End: http://t.co/7PuejoZWfJ ->
- RT @SactownMagazine: Former Tower Records magazine editor (@disquiet) writes the book — literally — on music legend Aphex Twin: http://t.”¦ ->
- I need to come up with a gesticulation that means “I’m reading a really long subsidiary clause right now." ->
- "Hot new games + music to celebrate Black History Month" (From a Google Play Store email.) ->
- This week's @djunto project is calendrical. ->
- Photo of server room at Stanford's CCRMA facility, where I gave a talk last night on my Aphex Twin SAW2 33 1/3 book: http://t.co/mchfxlAyW9 ->
- Photo of innards of a Yamaha GS1 retrofitted with an Arduino to allow for a USB connection, also at CCRMA. http://t.co/Hi2jzprpSH ->
- I believe you've written my first blurb, sir. MT @robsheff "love how it evokes the way music circa 1994 was suffused with unknowable data." in reply to robsheff ->
- Many of us Aphex SAW2 listeners go to sleep listening to an album Chris Morris used as background music for his menacing comedy sketches. ->
- Hey, Alarm Will Sound is on Instagram: http://t.co/PGKZ34rVnE. #yieldtoartintransit ->
- Whenever I see this sign I wonder why @AlarmWillSound isn't the headliner: http://t.co/CIbgxRsB8Q ->
- "I have no more power ups." "They're attacking wooden posts." "4,000 Damage? One Guy? Dude." Conversation overheard in library. #gamestudies ->
- I contributed #TheNewOldThing on @YahooTech: The Latin Playboys' 1994 (yes, Aphex Twin SAW2 fans) debut: @YahooTech: https://t.co/U70dfT1khy ->
- It's possible to be pro-CC and pro-CCC at the same time. This "Artists’ Pay for Radio Play" stuff is important: http://t.co/RpkGAjUmpI ->
- #wikipedia I wonder if I could get one of them to add my book to the Aphex Twin SAW2 page: http://t.co/fqwYHiDhRp #editathon ->
- If (1) you have a 2013 Macbook Air and (2) use Google Hangouts and (3) video functions for you, please let me know. Thanks. #magicfail ->
- I enthusiastically support performers being paid for their covers. But the acts doing damage on this cafe's radio shouldn't make a penny. ->
- Is isn't Kiev, but with the right mix of caffeine and '80s rock covers I imagine people storming the counter and changing the radio station. ->
- Oh yeah, the book's out. Updated that Twitter bio. ->
- Hey, San Francisco Hive Mind: please recommend good Indian or Latin American restaurant near Caltrain stop between San Bruno + Belmont. ->
- RT @derderdebonair: So psyched about this #Berio concert poster I made. http://t.co/VRsGSHiIpy ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0445 / Aare Tribute / The Assignment: Read maps of a river as a graphic score.
• 0444 / Bot Ensemble / The Assignment: Make music as directed by the great twitter.com/InstrumentBot account.
• 0443 / In Two Landscapes / The Assignment: Take two different field recordings and combine them to make one track, as in a mash-up.
• 0442 / One Sentence / The Assignment: Make music that explores the shape, tone, cadence, and content of a favorite section of prose or poetry.
• 0441 / Three Stones / The Assignment: Make music that explores territory sonically.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 445 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments
jet jaguar: "In a weird turn of events, my local library has a Synthstrom Deluge they lend and they asked me to make..."
Matthew Martin: "This was a great challenge, and my first time taking part in a Junto challenge. I really relished..."
Tristan Louth-Robins: "What an amazing instrument! I’ve signed up to the wait list… "
Tristan Louth-Robins: "Very interesting. Chris Watson’s shared many thoughts concerning this to-edit, to-not-edit..."
Shelton: "I want one! "