- Afternoon stream: an entire Underworld concert recorded recently in Oakland http://bit.ly/15ZPBV RT@ario #
- Afternoon stream: Brent Arnold — @brent_arnold — solo looped cello improvisation, recorded April 2009 http://is.gd/2fKD6 #
- RIP, guitar and guitar tech legend Les Paul, whom I got to interview years ago for epulse and for @fbjournal predecessor Ukulele Occasional. #
- Whenever the @oblique_chirps Twitter pops up "Cluster analysis" I think it is a direction to think about the band Cluster. #
- RIP drum legend Rashied Ali (Colrane, Sanders, Ulmer Haino, Laswell) http://bit.ly/2hW0dn — RT @daveseidel @stasisfield #
- Checking out the new #audiogame #soundtoy Sonorox for the Android OS. #
- From Richard Stark's 10th Parker novel, The Green Eagle Score: "Parker shut his eyes and listened to the night whine by under the tires." #
- Afternoon stream: Solo piano by Terry Riley, recorded live in concert in 1963 http://is.gd/2dWdb From the Other Minds catalog at archive.org #
- Fog horns out of control this morning. Must be mating season. #
- Experiment: Playlist of all songs locatable in fizy.com from Aug 8 DJ set twittered in Poland by @rhawtin http://is.gd/2clT3 #
- Bit.ly messed up the youtube.com link somehow in my previous post. Here it is, the myserious Pynchon-book video promo: http://is.gd/2c9rt #
- Cross between Lebowski/Burroughs, voice in promo video for Pynchon's novel Inherent Vice rumored to be Pynchon's. #remixthis RT @greatdismal #
- Day's best sound: electronic-bird tweet of 3M Dynatel Locator used by phone company to mark "do not drill" spots in alley http://is.gd/2aRCh #
- Afternoon stream: Diego Bernal's "Cumbiatches Brew" delivers new exotica breed built on vinyl remains of its predecessors http://is.gd/2aRlY #
- Saw Park Chan-wook's vampire flick, Thirst. Darn good. Lots of tormented blood-suckers. And cool sound design: vamps have great hearing. #
- Throbbing Gristle/FM3 create loop device Gristleism. Site: http://is.gd/29Svo Photo tease: http://bit.ly/1o07pF FM3 post: http://is.gd/29SsF #
- RIP, Mike Seeger (b. 1933), legendary field-recordist (of the Alan Lomax variety) and folk figure: http://is.gd/29k49 #
- Sunday morning foghorn action, deep tones in familiar AAB motif. I'd be a horrible ship captain; I'd get entranced by the sounds, and crash. #
- Spent an hour at Amoeba (on Haight), listening to the in-house stereo through the arhythmic clatter of clam-shelled CDs being rifled through #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice