- Afternoon stream: an entire Underworld concert recorded recently in Oakland http://bit.ly/15ZPBV [email protected]ario #
- Afternoon stream: Brent Arnold — @brent_arnold — solo looped cello improvisation, recorded April 2009 http://is.gd/2fKD6 #
- RIP, guitar and guitar tech legend Les Paul, whom I got to interview years ago for epulse and for @fbjournal predecessor Ukulele Occasional. #
- Whenever the @oblique_chirps Twitter pops up "Cluster analysis" I think it is a direction to think about the band Cluster. #
- RIP drum legend Rashied Ali (Colrane, Sanders, Ulmer Haino, Laswell) http://bit.ly/2hW0dn — RT @daveseidel @stasisfield #
- Checking out the new #audiogame #soundtoy Sonorox for the Android OS. #
- From Richard Stark's 10th Parker novel, The Green Eagle Score: "Parker shut his eyes and listened to the night whine by under the tires." #
- Afternoon stream: Solo piano by Terry Riley, recorded live in concert in 1963 http://is.gd/2dWdb From the Other Minds catalog at archive.org #
- Fog horns out of control this morning. Must be mating season. #
- Experiment: Playlist of all songs locatable in fizy.com from Aug 8 DJ set twittered in Poland by @rhawtin http://is.gd/2clT3 #
- Bit.ly messed up the youtube.com link somehow in my previous post. Here it is, the myserious Pynchon-book video promo: http://is.gd/2c9rt #
- Cross between Lebowski/Burroughs, voice in promo video for Pynchon's novel Inherent Vice rumored to be Pynchon's. #remixthis RT @greatdismal #
- Day's best sound: electronic-bird tweet of 3M Dynatel Locator used by phone company to mark "do not drill" spots in alley http://is.gd/2aRCh #
- Afternoon stream: Diego Bernal's "Cumbiatches Brew" delivers new exotica breed built on vinyl remains of its predecessors http://is.gd/2aRlY #
- Saw Park Chan-wook's vampire flick, Thirst. Darn good. Lots of tormented blood-suckers. And cool sound design: vamps have great hearing. #
- Throbbing Gristle/FM3 create loop device Gristleism. Site: http://is.gd/29Svo Photo tease: http://bit.ly/1o07pF FM3 post: http://is.gd/29SsF #
- RIP, Mike Seeger (b. 1933), legendary field-recordist (of the Alan Lomax variety) and folk figure: http://is.gd/29k49 #
- Sunday morning foghorn action, deep tones in familiar AAB motif. I'd be a horrible ship captain; I'd get entranced by the sounds, and crash. #
- Spent an hour at Amoeba (on Haight), listening to the in-house stereo through the arhythmic clatter of clam-shelled CDs being rifled through #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments