- Back to the Futurism, tonight: Luigi Russolo / Metal Machine Manifesto — Music for 16 Intonarumori at Yerba Buena — http://is.gd/4n32Y #
- So much fog out, it's imaginable that it squelches the fog horns. #
- Sirens and helicopter noise seem more conspicuous in San Francisco, if not more prevalent, since Trauma debuted on TV. #
- The Tuesday noon siren rings on a Thursday: 10:15 on 10/15. Weird to hear the sound out of temporal context. Hope it never means something. #
- Saw the Pogues, who still rock. The penny whistle is the stiletto of rock, the way it pierces the raucous rollick. (No Longplayer, though.) #
- Last evening before the new neighbors move in. Enjoying final hours of several months of footstep-less-ness and backyard-noise-less-ness. #
- Support @hecanjog solo electronic-music November tour and get a 7", a 12", a good feeling, and much more: http://is.gd/4itYD #
- What we learned on Fringe last week: Dr. Bishop likes Yes, Dr. Bell likes Jerry Garcia, & Chris Squire's bass doesn't sound great on my TV. #
- Woke up to find new Jonathan Lethem novel on my iPod Touch. Kindle software's a nice way to shop, especially on rainiest day of the year. #
- Eating some pizza, learning about Ableton. #
- College student on bus, seat close to mine, had iPod stolen and was hit in face. On the scene, police said it's "the fourth one tonight." #
- This week's Disquiet MP3 Discussion Group is yapping it up about the Italian duo Tu M's album Monochromes Vol. 1 (Line): http://is.gd/4fTCI #
- Holland Cotter asks of the Obamas's art choices: "Couldn’t they have opted for … a Sound Art piece in the Rose Garden?" http://is.gd/4dO9L #
- The "Music" section at http://www.instructables.com/music is like http://www.etsy.com with instructions. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice