- Also plotting future MP3 Discussion Group topics. Suggestions welcome, certainly. #
- Listening to foghorns. Imagining they guard our neighborhood, with Sutro Tower taking the other flank. #
- Joe Carnahan directing remakes of Bunny Lake Is Missing and of A-Team. Please tell me Cliff Martinez does the score at least for Bunny Lake. #
- The quantitative pleasures of ebooks: I am 45.2497952497953% of the way through Jonathan Lethem's new novel, Chronic City. #
- Google apps I use continuously: Reader, Calendar, search, Tasks, Contacts. … Often: YouTube. … A little: Docs. … Rarely: Gmail, Wave. #
- RIP, composer Victor Mizzy (b. 1916), goth hero for having composed Addams Family theme. (Also, a heap of Don Knotts flicks.) #
- @sublamp Thanks for the ramen tip. I usually go to Daikokuya when I'm in L.A., and I'll check out Orochan next time. in reply to sublamp #
- Got a Google Voice invite, but what I'd really appreciate is a Twitter Lists invite. #
- The ramen tonight at Katana-ya was good, but I'd like to enjoy the illusion that "spicy" means more than a tablespoon of Sriracha hot sauce. #
- We're doing a group-listen of the recent Gentleman Losers album, Dustland, over at Disquiet.com: http://is.gd/4r6at #
- Back from APE. The first Alternative Press Expo in awhile at which I didn't stumble upon some homemade beats/atmosphere/sound-collage CDR. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0561 / Samplelicker / The Assignment: Rework environmental sound recordings with Aphex Twin's new software.
• 0560 / Sonic Disambiguation / The Assignment: Help the Wikimedia Foundation develop a sonic logo.
• 0559 / Yes Exit / The Assignment: Compose your personal entrance and exit cues for conference calls.
• 0558 / Chore Progressions / The Assignment: Use a routine activity as the map of a composition.
• 0557 / Condensation Is a Form of Change / The Assignment: Interpret a graphic score that depicts four phases.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 561 consecutive weeks to date.