- JJ Abrams always sonically coy: last night's episode of Fringe, Bishop expounds on mental illness while Thelonious Monk plays in background. #
- RIP, Jeff Clyne (b. 1937), bassist with, among other folks, the UK fusion groups Nucleus and Turning Point: http://is.gd/5iYFQ #
- ♫ Afternoon audiostream: Dominic Dixon's "Year's of Dust": Mellow yet visceral lofi piano, surface noise, & long tones: http://is.gd/5iAyZ #
- Spent the morning reacquainting myself with Son of Bazerk's 'Bazerk Bazerk Bazerk' (1991). I'd visit an alt-universe where they broke big. #
- Thursday morning sounds: frost on the ground = very few birds. Rough wind, plane overhead, hard drives. #
- First mix that involving the Gristleism gadget that I've come upon — Source: http://is.gd/5gV8g Thoughts: http://is.gd/5gV7s #
- RIP, arranger and conductor Torrie Zito (b. 1933), who wrote the string orchestrations for John Lennon's Imagine album: http://is.gd/5gq8q #
- ♫ Afternoon audiostream: 3 dark industrial drones at the http://soundcloud.com/seek2track0 page of (UK) Birmingham's Steve Kavanagh. #
- The early netlabel Monotonik is on hiatus, maybe forever, after 13 years of operation, per founder @simoncarless: http://bit.ly/6je2Dx #
- Unnerving to see flames in public and not hear sirens. VW van on fire near San Francisco Zoo. #
- RIP, Jack Rose (b. 1971) of drone-folk band Pelt, via @pitchforkmedia — http://bit.ly/5gO70U #
- There's a special satisfaction to being first to add new restaurant listings to yelp.com. Just did two today. Crowd-sourcing at its best. #
- After a steady diet of ambient and drone music, all it took was one 8bit chiptune album on repeat to totally send my heartrate skyward. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0473 / Placebo Effect (2 or 3) / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0472 / Jam Time (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio that others will complete.
• 0471 / Phase Transition / The Assignment: The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0470 / Calendar View / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0469 / [Missing in Caption] / The Assignment: Make music that pushes the constraints of descriptive television captions.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 473 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments