- JJ Abrams always sonically coy: last night's episode of Fringe, Bishop expounds on mental illness while Thelonious Monk plays in background. #
- RIP, Jeff Clyne (b. 1937), bassist with, among other folks, the UK fusion groups Nucleus and Turning Point: http://is.gd/5iYFQ #
- ♫ Afternoon audiostream: Dominic Dixon's "Year's of Dust": Mellow yet visceral lofi piano, surface noise, & long tones: http://is.gd/5iAyZ #
- Spent the morning reacquainting myself with Son of Bazerk's 'Bazerk Bazerk Bazerk' (1991). I'd visit an alt-universe where they broke big. #
- Thursday morning sounds: frost on the ground = very few birds. Rough wind, plane overhead, hard drives. #
- First mix that involving the Gristleism gadget that I've come upon — Source: http://is.gd/5gV8g Thoughts: http://is.gd/5gV7s #
- RIP, arranger and conductor Torrie Zito (b. 1933), who wrote the string orchestrations for John Lennon's Imagine album: http://is.gd/5gq8q #
- ♫ Afternoon audiostream: 3 dark industrial drones at the http://soundcloud.com/seek2track0 page of (UK) Birmingham's Steve Kavanagh. #
- The early netlabel Monotonik is on hiatus, maybe forever, after 13 years of operation, per founder @simoncarless: http://bit.ly/6je2Dx #
- Unnerving to see flames in public and not hear sirens. VW van on fire near San Francisco Zoo. #
- RIP, Jack Rose (b. 1971) of drone-folk band Pelt, via @pitchforkmedia — http://bit.ly/5gO70U #
- There's a special satisfaction to being first to add new restaurant listings to yelp.com. Just did two today. Crowd-sourcing at its best. #
- After a steady diet of ambient and drone music, all it took was one 8bit chiptune album on repeat to totally send my heartrate skyward. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
• 0495 / Protip Etude / The Assignment: Share a tip for making music or working with sound, and record a track that employs it.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 499 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments