- Previous neighbors had two kids. New ones have small dog. In the morning, the quiet (cute, not annoying) scampering sounds the same. #
- Says something that when Robert Fripp uploads archival recordings from 1970s he singles out "non loop" ideas: http://is.gd/9jOXo #
- Morning sounds: hard drive, passing bus, passing car, distant siren, the latter barely a wisp but infused with drama. #
- Android users who write can rejoice. This Bluetooth HID support, BlueInput, looks for real. Will test this weekend: http://is.gd/9gCy2 #
- Had looked forward to album by CSI composer John Keane but it's all singer-songwriter stuff, not the techno-ambient scoring he's known for. #
- Got PR emails for 6 remix contests in last 24 hours. Much as I love the concept, has it mainstreamed smoothly, or jumped the shark? #
- Listening to new Autechre album, Oversteps. Has it only been two years since Quaristice? Feels like forever. #
- I don't go to 7-Eleven often, but every time I do, I look at the magazine rack & realize I'm hoping Scratch Magazine's been revived. #
- Most notable sound of the week: the tiny, tinny, fragile crackle of my dad's hearing aids after he removes them at the end of the day. #
- My father just showed me photos of a hawk he was stalking this morning. Not certain he has subject and object straight. #
- The helicopter passed the apartment, then veered right and continued into the distance slowly, seeming to hover but getting ever more quiet. #
- Will some future generation not know the life-pausing sensation inherent in the computer's status bar? #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice