- Great moment in Fringe last night, when opening theme (along with the graphics) is remade as if it had been recorded in synth-happy 1985. #
- The rain seems muted — looks so much heavier than it sounds. Our house is solid, but not that solid. The disconnect is downright eerie. #
- Is there a way to search for a specific word within a Twitter list? #
- #ff @soundscrapers @robotdancerobot @tommoody @fashioningtech @carlstone @rjwheaton @robinrimbaud @dbernalmusic @rootstrata @audiobulb #
- Wasn't gettin 1st-geniPad but @rjdj dev may open my wallet. Wondering how realtime audio processing works on device less mobile than iPhone. #
- The @touchmusic podcast appears in its RSS feed before its website. Glitchy goodness now at http://is.gd/baMVv & later at touchradio.org.uk #
- Cesar Chavez Day reminds me that most holidays are moments of (something like) silence: fewer people, emptier buses & streets, closed shops. #
- RIP, Paul Dunlap (b. 1919), whose film scores include The Angry Red Planet, I Was a Teenage Werewolf, The Naked Kiss, & Lost Continent. #
- Tuesday evening: Cold, hard, fast, sudden rain on a flat, tarred, converted-industrial-site roof. #
- Nice touch at end of last night's Damages, when lullaby melody is truncated, left unresolved — a model of how the show functions overall. #
- Happiness is talking with cabbie about Miles Davis on ride across town while rain drizzles & Live at Fillmore blares as we cross Fillmore. #
- When garbage trucks arrive Monday mornings I hear the "backing-up beep" yet it's an aural illusion triggered by engines & pulsing lights. #
- Sinatra sounds surprisingly like Mantovani when filtered through the thick interior walls of a nearly 90-year-old house. #
- Not sure where the wash of distant traffic and the hum of nearby hard drives end, and where the high-pitched noise of my own ears begins. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice