- Great moment in Fringe last night, when opening theme (along with the graphics) is remade as if it had been recorded in synth-happy 1985. #
- The rain seems muted — looks so much heavier than it sounds. Our house is solid, but not that solid. The disconnect is downright eerie. #
- Is there a way to search for a specific word within a Twitter list? #
- #ff @soundscrapers @robotdancerobot @tommoody @fashioningtech @carlstone @rjwheaton @robinrimbaud @dbernalmusic @rootstrata @audiobulb #
- Wasn't gettin 1st-geniPad but @rjdj dev may open my wallet. Wondering how realtime audio processing works on device less mobile than iPhone. #
- The @touchmusic podcast appears in its RSS feed before its website. Glitchy goodness now at http://is.gd/baMVv & later at touchradio.org.uk #
- Cesar Chavez Day reminds me that most holidays are moments of (something like) silence: fewer people, emptier buses & streets, closed shops. #
- RIP, Paul Dunlap (b. 1919), whose film scores include The Angry Red Planet, I Was a Teenage Werewolf, The Naked Kiss, & Lost Continent. #
- Tuesday evening: Cold, hard, fast, sudden rain on a flat, tarred, converted-industrial-site roof. #
- Nice touch at end of last night's Damages, when lullaby melody is truncated, left unresolved — a model of how the show functions overall. #
- Happiness is talking with cabbie about Miles Davis on ride across town while rain drizzles & Live at Fillmore blares as we cross Fillmore. #
- When garbage trucks arrive Monday mornings I hear the "backing-up beep" yet it's an aural illusion triggered by engines & pulsing lights. #
- Sinatra sounds surprisingly like Mantovani when filtered through the thick interior walls of a nearly 90-year-old house. #
- Not sure where the wash of distant traffic and the hum of nearby hard drives end, and where the high-pitched noise of my own ears begins. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.