- Now that I've noticed the neighboring blocks' garbage-disposal route on Thursdays, Friday mornings seem all the more quiet. #
- Jaron Lanier expresses disregard for fragments in You Are Not a Gadget but it's written in chapters built from compressed, serial fragments. #
- Copier's sine-wave moan complements @pandora_radio instrumental-hip-hop channel played low. On now: Deltron 3030's "Time Keeps On Slipping." #
- RIP, Steve Reid (b. 1944), veteran of Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Fela Kuti & most recently Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) http://is.gd/br6xr #
- Excellent! The @sfmoma has acquired a bunch of Bruce Nauman, plus Joseph Beuys, Hanne Darboven, & others: http://is.gd/boZsZ #
- I'll take your "Humanize something that is free of error" @1000DIGIKI & raise you "The tape is now the music" — also via @Oblique_Chirps #
- Listening for a down beat in the pixel patter of rain on my umbrella. #
- RIP, Larry Cassidy (b. 1953), of the Factory label's Section 25: http://is.gd/bozsZ #
- Setting one's alarm clock for early Sunday morning (an unusual thing) means learning that the local hip-hop station plays gospel. #
- Tonight, Mixmaster Mike at Yoshi's. Looking forward to this. And wondering who is the "special guest." #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.