- Now that I've noticed the neighboring blocks' garbage-disposal route on Thursdays, Friday mornings seem all the more quiet. #
- Jaron Lanier expresses disregard for fragments in You Are Not a Gadget but it's written in chapters built from compressed, serial fragments. #
- Copier's sine-wave moan complements @pandora_radio instrumental-hip-hop channel played low. On now: Deltron 3030's "Time Keeps On Slipping." #
- RIP, Steve Reid (b. 1944), veteran of Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Fela Kuti & most recently Kieran Hebden (Four Tet) http://is.gd/br6xr #
- Excellent! The @sfmoma has acquired a bunch of Bruce Nauman, plus Joseph Beuys, Hanne Darboven, & others: http://is.gd/boZsZ #
- I'll take your "Humanize something that is free of error" @1000DIGIKI & raise you "The tape is now the music" — also via @Oblique_Chirps #
- Listening for a down beat in the pixel patter of rain on my umbrella. #
- RIP, Larry Cassidy (b. 1953), of the Factory label's Section 25: http://is.gd/bozsZ #
- Setting one's alarm clock for early Sunday morning (an unusual thing) means learning that the local hip-hop station plays gospel. #
- Tonight, Mixmaster Mike at Yoshi's. Looking forward to this. And wondering who is the "special guest." #
5 Most Recent Comments
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice