- Latest favorite new-to-me word: "acoustemology" (i.e., acoustic epistemology): "a sonic way of knowing place" http://j.mp/cvoV3D #
- The sonar ping in "Early Winter (For Phill Niblock)" off Alva Noto's new For 2 album sounds eerily like The Listening Post by Hansen/Rubin. #
- Up for some quick weekend copyleft sonic activism? If you make music from existing sounds, reply to this or get me at [email protected]. #
- The restaurant I'm in admonishes against not only cellphones but also computers in the dining room. That's a first. #
- Cover art for upcoming Oval album, Oh, appears to be one of those PETA-baiting birds-on-a-guitar-wire projects by CÃ©leste Boursier-Mougenot. #
- Saw 2 headlines, thought they were related: "Lost iPhone Prototype Spurs Police Probe" "A State With Plenty of Jobs but Few Places to Live" #
- Listening to forthcoming Oval album, titled Oh, due out June 15 from Thrill Jockey. #
- In response to print request the printer across the room revs up; its monastic hum gently reassures that the tech infrastructure is holding. #
- Location isn't everything. Tribeca Film Fest has $45 pass to 8 streaming films, plus discussions, panels & short films: http://is.gd/bEWky #
- Last week on Fringe: turntables & time travel. Tonight: out-of-phase tuning forks & universe-jumping. Like if Steve Reich played Doctor Who. #
- Last week Fringe = genius. Whoever does dissertation on Turntable as Symbol of Quantum Nostalgia in Work of JJ Abrams please send me a copy. #
- Pardon. It's the Society for the *Preservation* of San Francisco Scenery. Great art prank. Reminds me of DeLillos's "most photographed tree" #
- Signs in Alamo Square attributed to Society for Protection of SF Scenery seem to bar, or alert to barring of, photography of Painted Ladies. #
- I know "there's no such thing as streaming music" but when I'm on @soundcloud I spend less time on music I don't have the option to download #
- Beep boop: how kids in third grade draw synthesizers: http://is.gd/bC7yd Who knew modular synths could be this adorable? #
- Thanks to Brian Biggs of @mrbiggsdotcom & @robotdancerobot for drawing my new analog Twitter background. More info at http://is.gd/bBoMh #
- RIP, Guru (b. Keith Elam, 1962), best known from hip-hop duo Gang Starr. Listening to nothing but him & DJ Premier today http://is.gd/bAHr1 #
- Remain fascinated that the vibration on my phone is considerably louder on most surfaces than is the phone's ring at the lowest volume. #
- Pauline Oliveros is on Twitter @olivep … "Are you listening now?" … "The last sound that you heard – what was it?" #
- RIP, James M. Brody (b. 1941), composer, teacher, student of Iannis Xenakis: http://is.gd/byyWU http://is.gd/byz1L #
- Made yesterday another "no computer day," but a half hour with Listening Post @sjmusart by Mark Hansen & Ben Rubin may have been cheating. #
- Commas are a true luxury on Twitter. #
- RIP, jazz musician and author Mike Zwerin (b. 1930), veteran of Birth of the Cool”“era Miles Davis. #
- From backyard the passing propeller plane emits two sounds: engine rumbling like old washing machine; thick whine coming in and out of focus #
- Sunday morning = Alva Noto's recent album, For 2. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice