- Outside in the Richmond District, a gorgeous symphony for foghorns and birdsong. #
- I think I need a self-imposed simile embargo. #
- The music section of the @make website is like some ongoing, geographically distributed electronica Manhattan project: http://is.gd/cDG50 #
- Enjoying new version of "open-source iTunes" program by @songbirdteam — major improvement: no longer see the Edge every time it turns on. #
- Morning sounds: no alarm clock, but two airplanes in quick succession, chugging overhead like tug boats in the sky. #
- Drizzly morning: Falun Gong under the Bill Graham eves, tinny radio echoing like a Lilliputian / Horton Hears a Who-ian orchetra. #
- Between ebooks and flat-screen TVs, living rooms look more and more like they did in FranÃ§ois Truffaut's film version of Fahrenheit 451. #
- RIP, Tobias Wong (b. 1974), meta/para/trans-designer. Someone I would have like to have spoken with. #
- Time-lapse video of the installation @sjmusart of Mark Hansen & Ben Rubin's The Listening Post: http://is.gd/cB3hT #
- Current office noises: tea-kettle copier, white-noise fans, mouse clicking, distant automobiles, one slow-moving plane. #
- When the MUNI bus passes the house at midnight, it sounds empty. #
- The surveillance sign near the giant Zhang Huan sculpture in San Francisco at city hall seems like an addition courtesy of Ai Weiwei / @aiww #
- Five of us are discussing the new Oval (aka Markus Popp) album, Oh, this week here: http://is.gd/cyeHa His first such effort in a decade. #
- Morning sounds: hard drives, virtually no cars. Is it simply early, or is the Memorial Day holiday quiet extending further into the week? #
- Buying music online after hours on a national holiday. Such a pleasure. #
- From Grandpapier's 24hr-comic session Pascal Matthey on hearing loss, sound, airplanes: http://bit.ly/9qiltE via @madinkbeard @mmaddencomics #
- Which is more annoying: Nigerian Craigslist frauds? Publicists who don't identify musical characteristics of acts/records they're pitching? #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice