- Outside in the Richmond District, a gorgeous symphony for foghorns and birdsong. #
- I think I need a self-imposed simile embargo. #
- The music section of the @make website is like some ongoing, geographically distributed electronica Manhattan project: http://is.gd/cDG50 #
- Enjoying new version of "open-source iTunes" program by @songbirdteam — major improvement: no longer see the Edge every time it turns on. #
- Morning sounds: no alarm clock, but two airplanes in quick succession, chugging overhead like tug boats in the sky. #
- Drizzly morning: Falun Gong under the Bill Graham eves, tinny radio echoing like a Lilliputian / Horton Hears a Who-ian orchetra. #
- Between ebooks and flat-screen TVs, living rooms look more and more like they did in FranÃ§ois Truffaut's film version of Fahrenheit 451. #
- RIP, Tobias Wong (b. 1974), meta/para/trans-designer. Someone I would have like to have spoken with. #
- Time-lapse video of the installation @sjmusart of Mark Hansen & Ben Rubin's The Listening Post: http://is.gd/cB3hT #
- Current office noises: tea-kettle copier, white-noise fans, mouse clicking, distant automobiles, one slow-moving plane. #
- When the MUNI bus passes the house at midnight, it sounds empty. #
- The surveillance sign near the giant Zhang Huan sculpture in San Francisco at city hall seems like an addition courtesy of Ai Weiwei / @aiww #
- Five of us are discussing the new Oval (aka Markus Popp) album, Oh, this week here: http://is.gd/cyeHa His first such effort in a decade. #
- Morning sounds: hard drives, virtually no cars. Is it simply early, or is the Memorial Day holiday quiet extending further into the week? #
- Buying music online after hours on a national holiday. Such a pleasure. #
- From Grandpapier's 24hr-comic session Pascal Matthey on hearing loss, sound, airplanes: http://bit.ly/9qiltE via @madinkbeard @mmaddencomics #
- Which is more annoying: Nigerian Craigslist frauds? Publicists who don't identify musical characteristics of acts/records they're pitching? #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
• 0495 / Protip Etude / The Assignment: Share a tip for making music or working with sound, and record a track that employs it.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 499 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments