- Morton Subotnick's Silver Apples of the Moon among 25 recordings newly added to Library of Congress. Also: Tupac, Wagner: http://is.gd/de14t #
- Just love the idea of "smart crates" in Serato. #
- Fascinated by how even slight movement of a headphone cable can be so amplified in isolation earbuds. Maybe Bluetooth is the way to go. #
- RIP, hip-hop pioneer and gothic futurist Rammellzee (b. 1960) http://is.gd/ddXFd #
- 32,072: Number of members of the "Ban football from vuvuzela concerts" Facebook group: http://is.gd/ddWfV #
- Just realized I was in New York for 57 consecutive hours last weekend & never heard Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Jay-Z, or Bon Jovi once. #
- Morning sounds: car passing, two hard drives (laptop, Tivo), fridge, unidentified distant engine. #
- RIP, music publisher/producer Francis Dreyfus (b. 1940), influential in career of Jean Michel Jarre & others http://is.gd/ddasp #
- RIP, tuba player Aaron Dodd (b. 1948), troubled formed member of underappreciated jazz ensemble 8 Bold Souls http://is.gd/ddatn #
- Neat. With the exception of a month when an @drumc0rps write-up became a spam magnet, last month was the biggest yet at Disquiet.com. #
- Autechre's Oversteps still not growing on me. #
- Golden Gate Park aircraft-drone update: apparently they were hunting two dogs that had attacked someone. #
- Either there's an under-publicized drone concert going on in Golden Gate Park, or aircraft have been circling slowly for half an hour. #
- Bum speaker on Muni 31 bus in SF is adding fizzy snare-drum reverberation to every beep and automaton vocal that the vehicle emits. #
- Just realized how much extra stuff is packed into reissue of Un”‹-”‹Herd Vol”‹.”‹1, awesome avant-hip-hop by @whyarcka — http://bit.ly/165DJq #
- RT @tobiasreber hi marc, did you hear about this? care to share? http://tinyurl.com/2fhabxl [I hadn't — thanks for spreading the news.] #
- Desktop fan came on suddenly and loudly, signaling a 200mb cut'n'paste. #
- RIP, Allyn Ferguson (b. 1924), Hollywood composer, third-steam proponent: http://is.gd/d858K #
- RIP, Parliament-Funkadelic's Garry "One Nation Under a Groove" Shider (b. 1953): http://is.gd/d8arT #
- When's insta-translate coming to @twitter to help me follow musicians like @ichiro_0414 & @ryuichisakamoto etc.? #
- The loungey in-plane soundtrack on @virginamerica turns most night-time landings into little Michael Mann films. #
- Sounds at 35,000 (or so) feet: engines, cabin personnel, bleeding headphones, cackling children, typing (mine), occasional overhead beeps. #
- Really, I need to install bloatware @realplayer in order to get audio notes (amr files) to play in @evernote on my Win7 netbook? #
- S__> is the statusicon (staticon?) for being stuck in airplane on runway. S15__> is when stuck with 15 planes ahead of you, as I am now. #
- When statusicons supplant emoticons, among the first will be "stuck in airplane on runway." #
- Can now break cover during surprise trip to NY for dad's 75th bday. Enjoying LIRR sounds now ("Syyyyyy-oset," "Bable-en") en route to JFK. #
- Subscribe to @emusic? Then the 19-track Grand Valley State University Terry Riley: In C Remixes costs just 9 credits/linden/clams/whatever. #
- For the Win by @doctorow — a teen thriller that's actually a strong defense of unionizing. Detailed take on video-game economics, too. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0456 / Line Up / The Assignment: Interpret a painting by Agnes Martin as if it were a graphic score.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 456 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments