- Morton Subotnick's Silver Apples of the Moon among 25 recordings newly added to Library of Congress. Also: Tupac, Wagner: http://is.gd/de14t #
- Just love the idea of "smart crates" in Serato. #
- Fascinated by how even slight movement of a headphone cable can be so amplified in isolation earbuds. Maybe Bluetooth is the way to go. #
- RIP, hip-hop pioneer and gothic futurist Rammellzee (b. 1960) http://is.gd/ddXFd #
- 32,072: Number of members of the "Ban football from vuvuzela concerts" Facebook group: http://is.gd/ddWfV #
- Just realized I was in New York for 57 consecutive hours last weekend & never heard Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Jay-Z, or Bon Jovi once. #
- Morning sounds: car passing, two hard drives (laptop, Tivo), fridge, unidentified distant engine. #
- RIP, music publisher/producer Francis Dreyfus (b. 1940), influential in career of Jean Michel Jarre & others http://is.gd/ddasp #
- RIP, tuba player Aaron Dodd (b. 1948), troubled formed member of underappreciated jazz ensemble 8 Bold Souls http://is.gd/ddatn #
- Neat. With the exception of a month when an @drumc0rps write-up became a spam magnet, last month was the biggest yet at Disquiet.com. #
- Autechre's Oversteps still not growing on me. #
- Golden Gate Park aircraft-drone update: apparently they were hunting two dogs that had attacked someone. #
- Either there's an under-publicized drone concert going on in Golden Gate Park, or aircraft have been circling slowly for half an hour. #
- Bum speaker on Muni 31 bus in SF is adding fizzy snare-drum reverberation to every beep and automaton vocal that the vehicle emits. #
- Just realized how much extra stuff is packed into reissue of Un”‹-”‹Herd Vol”‹.”‹1, awesome avant-hip-hop by @whyarcka — http://bit.ly/165DJq #
- RT @tobiasreber hi marc, did you hear about this? care to share? http://tinyurl.com/2fhabxl [I hadn't — thanks for spreading the news.] #
- Desktop fan came on suddenly and loudly, signaling a 200mb cut'n'paste. #
- RIP, Allyn Ferguson (b. 1924), Hollywood composer, third-steam proponent: http://is.gd/d858K #
- RIP, Parliament-Funkadelic's Garry "One Nation Under a Groove" Shider (b. 1953): http://is.gd/d8arT #
- When's insta-translate coming to @twitter to help me follow musicians like @ichiro_0414 & @ryuichisakamoto etc.? #
- The loungey in-plane soundtrack on @virginamerica turns most night-time landings into little Michael Mann films. #
- Sounds at 35,000 (or so) feet: engines, cabin personnel, bleeding headphones, cackling children, typing (mine), occasional overhead beeps. #
- Really, I need to install bloatware @realplayer in order to get audio notes (amr files) to play in @evernote on my Win7 netbook? #
- S__> is the statusicon (staticon?) for being stuck in airplane on runway. S15__> is when stuck with 15 planes ahead of you, as I am now. #
- When statusicons supplant emoticons, among the first will be "stuck in airplane on runway." #
- Can now break cover during surprise trip to NY for dad's 75th bday. Enjoying LIRR sounds now ("Syyyyyy-oset," "Bable-en") en route to JFK. #
- Subscribe to @emusic? Then the 19-track Grand Valley State University Terry Riley: In C Remixes costs just 9 credits/linden/clams/whatever. #
- For the Win by @doctorow — a teen thriller that's actually a strong defense of unionizing. Detailed take on video-game economics, too. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.