- There's a special smile that greets "all rights reserved" photos of public graffiti on Flickr.com. #
- Morning sounds: shower, hard drive; no birds, no cars. The entirely unfamiliar industrial drone that preceded yesterday's quake is gone. #
- Sprinklers on, so water pressure's low. Carbonite's backing up my hard drive to the cloud, so same can be said of my Internet connection. #
- Footage of original Hawaii Five-0 theme-song musicians in re-recording session (for TV reboot) embedded in this story: http://is.gd/dDUt8 #
- Continuing to enjoy habit of listening to score before seeing movie — it's kinda like a sonic spoiler, and brings it out during showing. #
- Yowza — that quake moved my chair. Of course, my chair is on wheels. Looks like it was maybe 10 miles off the San Francisco coast. #
- 5 Reasons for a Musician to Consider @creativecommons — a little guest post I just did for @wammusic — http://is.gd/dDwnQ #
- Gotta love "cassette only" albums that will later "appear as a compact disc." So they're "only" for now. #
- All electronics are louder in the evening. Refrigerator, hard drive, a watch's hand, a light switch turned off then on, a distant motor. #
- This new @firefox build, 3.6.7, has been crash-tastic. #
- After serious CSS fiddling, comments on Disquiet.com now cleaner: threaded, spaced right, colored simply. Numbering is odd, but otherwise… #
- Morning sounds: Tivo hard drive like some digital babbling brook, buses outside rampaging like rhinos. #
- Pretty great that @xlr8rmag does free full-issue PDFs. August has Oval, LA's "abstract instrumental scene" & more http://is.gd/dBt0m #
- People come & go on Facebook so often that if you use an IM client (like Pidgin), there's a near-constant stream of enter/exit tones. #
- Excellent abstract hip-hop instrumentals by @knxwledge http://is.gd/dB2pb — via @whyarcka in reply to WhyArcka #
- Between The Matrix & Inception, Robert Longo may be a bigger influence on movie fight scenes than John Woo & Quentin Tarantino combined. #
- Best sounds in Inception: Johnny Marr's guitar, the knowing use of Ã‰dith Piaf, & (yeah, cautious on spoilers) a certain truncation. #
- Can't overstate pleasure, if not outright benefits, of living walking distance from movie theater, especially one offering double features. #
- Morning sounds: shower, heater (this is San Francisco), hard drive, various netlabel offerings. #
- Walking by neighborhood restaurant, briefly mistook sound of fan for, yes, vuvuzela. #ptsd #
- Wouldn't it be easier to tidy up to non-English-language movies if a beep signaled that it's time to look at the screen to catch a subtitle? #
- Q: What did William Faulkner's voice sound like? A: Exactly as you imagined: http://is.gd/dzRuE #
- Thanks @dylanhorrocks for my Twitter background, up all this month, in my "Curating Twitter: Sketches of Sound" project: http://is.gd/dzOJ5 #
- Looks like @evernote sync is back up. Finishing some projects before heading to @sfelectricworks for David Byrne / Dave Eggers exhibit. #
- Man, @evernote sync issues, too (judging by an @twitter search, not an isolated issue). Trouble in the cloud this morning. #
- Supposed to update @twitter background with great original @dylanhorrocks image but profile updates now have tech issues: http://is.gd/dzrIe #
- Morning sounds: hard drive, distant sanitation vehicles (and related activity), little if any birdsong. #
- Will not be attending #comiccon this week — may time reading of China Miéville's Kraken to experience it vicariously. #
- Last day for @mintylewis background on my Twitter account; new one tomorrow. Disquiet.com enewsletter Wednesday to include Scorn CD contest. #
- Another netlabel into the eternal Internet dustbin RT @nq_music @jhfisher Hippocamp closes after 9 years: http://hippocamp.net/?catID=200 #
- Celebrate World Listening Day with Pootie Tang: http://is.gd/dxsZg (following up @npseaver on AC/DC's critique of R. Murray Schafer). #
- My friends' kid apparently wakes up singing happy birthday to her stuffed animals. It's a riot. #
- Morning sounds, Pasadena edition: HVAC, laptop drive, birds (latter in surround-sound mode rather than just from backyard like back home). #
- It's July 18 — happy "World Listening Day": http://worldlisteningproject.org. And in not unrelated news: happy birthday, R. Murray Schafer. #
- Los Angeles vanity-plate moment: confirmed guy with OBOE DR plates actually repairs oboes for a living. Convertibles allow for conversation. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.