- RIP, Chris Dedrick (b. 1947) of Free Design: Enoch Light alum; influenced Stereolab, Cornelius (reissued them on Trattoria); screen composer #
- One of those days when I realize I've 4 cameras on various objects w/ me, & that's in my (truly) light bag. Would be 5 if iPod Touch had 1. #
- First Nolan/Zimmer's Inception theme, then Bieber at 800%. What will be the next slo-mo sound phenomenon? http://is.gd/erQxk #
- Morning sounds: hard drives whirring, heater coming on, city buses rattling. The fog horns have abated. #
- Recent Disquiet.com email contest for new Books CD asked readers to name fave recent novel. Interesting list, largely lit-fic and sci-fi. #
- Transformers 3: Rise of the Makers #diyfilms #
- Use MySpace? (Jokes aside, tons of musicians do.) Act on newly simple apps-blocking options in updated privacy settings: http://is.gd/erFoL #
- #ff brick-layers: @sfemf @icainboston @vinylathletes * brick-makers: @mapmap @gregdavismusic @markemorse @mariplasma @greg_pond #
- Foghorns especially garrulous tonight. Me thinks they've been reading some China Miéville in the off hours. #
- Forget the #webisdead silliness in the September @wired — the issue has not one but two Moog stories, including a gorgeous prototype pic. #
- RIP, Bill Millin (b. 1922), the Scottish bagpiper whose D-Day role was immortalized in the film The Longest Day. #sonicweapons #
- The device in Mad Men ep4 this season (the secretary can hear the phone but can't be heard) is called a "mother-in-law" http://is.gd/ep6gp #
- Entire house vibrating as the apartment complex down the street undergoes a pneumatic intervention. Think "Steve Reich meets Consolidated." #
- Great @gregdavismusic modular analog last night, + tangerine dreaminess (myspace.com/moholynagymusic ) & folk drones (myspace.com/aures00). #
- Netlabels without RSS feeds are arguably more confusing than art museums without @flickr accounts. #
- Update: the Sep30/Oct1 yarn I'll be spinning about serial + visual storytelling (aka comics) has moved to Denver from Boulder #planningness #
- Looking forward to @gregdavismusic tonight at the Hemlock. #
- Sad day for crate diggers: Fat Beats closing its NY & LA stores http://ow.ly/2rtUr via @shocklee #
- A little pre-noon James Blackshaw … #
- New Aronofsky looks like Center Stage mashed with X-Men. (I'm especially happy it means a new Clint Mansell score.) via @popcandy @brubaker #
- ♫ Afternoon movie score: "Self Defense" cue by Ranju Majumdar from indie thriller @determinism streaming on @soundcloud http://is.gd/emc8r #
- Mistook passing airplane for weekly noon-Tuesday San Francisco emergency-warning siren; briefly thought it was two hours later than it is. #
- Thanks, Hannes Pasqualini (papernoise.net), who drew my Twitter background this month. More on the Bolanzo, Italy, artist http://is.gd/elRYd #
- Many thanks again to @dylanhorrocks for providing the original illustration for my Twitter account last month (7/20-8/16) http://is.gd/elS8E #
- RIP, Robert Wilson (b. 1957?), Gap Band bassist. Check out 37 tracks that sample 'em (Snoop, Paris, Nas): http://is.gd/el9qv via @shocklee #
- New Disquiet.com email newsletter Wed. includes contest for Books' recent CD, The Way Out. Subscribe here: https://disquiet.com/subscribe/ #
- "I Am Sitting in a Room Podcasting" http://is.gd/ekNMI RT @rootstrata live loop fail #
- Having nothing to do with this, but very pleased that it exists: http://www.myspace.com/weidenbaummetal #
- There have been many great developments in music e-tailing. Searching for an 11-track release before @emusic rolls over is not one of them. #
- Happy 1st anniversary to @new_people in SF's Japantown. Impressive that its Superfrog Gallery y'day could block loud street-festival bands. #
- When mashups happen in "real" life: right now Social D & Nas playing separate stages @sfoutsidelands — listening in distance for the merge. #
- Great free composed-field-recording release by @landrecorder at http://is.gd/ejhs3 I wrote the liner notes. Thanks for the invite, @sbtrmnl #
- For the record, I'm not in Hayward, California, despite what the weirdly inaccurate @twitter auto-location service often seems to believe. #
- The 1/2 quarter-speed / 1/2 hyper-speed dub of Mala's "Don't Let Me Go" (new Soul Jazz 12", flip of Four Tet) is killer http://is.gd/ejgnH #
- I'm closer to @sfoutsidelands physically than @twitter-ly. Don't think I've seen one Tweet on it this entire weekend, though it is trending. #
- I do realize I have conflated some Internet colleagues into one imagined individual, whereas other multiple avatars are in fact one person. #
- Unlike Gilbert&George, I have no political issue with church bells. But when they ring other than on hour or half hour they're disorienting. #
- Impressive. Over 300 active netlabels (free, legal) listed by @displatypus http://is.gd/eiT0Z … My list (merely 114) http://is.gd/eiT4w #
- Morning sounds: shower, dryer, hard drives, plane, and (likely imagined, as it's still early) rumbling of the nearby Outside Lands Festival. #
- Think I'm going this morning to hear Kitaro play in Japantown @new_people — never sure if he's Japan's Jean Michael Jarre or its Mantovani. #
- Enjoying the modern silent film that is driver after driver talking on speaker phone (or Bluetooth earbud) behind windshields. #tati2010 #
- Enjoying the 8bit Steve Reich that is standing in line amid multiple beeping cash registers. #
- Boston alert: @callithumpian doing Gavin Bryars' Sinking of the Titanic on Aug 20 @icainboston #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 455 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments