- Next Buddha Machine "Chan Fang" ç¦…æˆ¿ is Chinese classical instruments: "Pure melody: no heavy reverb, layers of delay or any other processing" #
- 1,000 Buddha Machines, sitting in a grid: http://is.gd/eIrDu #
- Excellent scrap paper at the San Francisco Public Library: http://ow.ly/i/3sxZ Christian Marclay would approve. #
- RIP, Keith Barr (b. 1949), Alesis founder and developer of ADAT (digital audio tape) http://is.gd/eHrSY #
- Reminder: 9/5 is last day of Shanghai exhibit @asianartmuseum in SF; neon sound art "Landscape" (2007) by Shen Fan (ç”å‡¡) is a must-see/hear. #
- In the past 24 hours, both the Ghostly Discovery (1.50) and Buddha Machine (2.1) iOS apps were updated to allow for background play. #
- Marvin Hamlisch named conductor of Pasadena Pops. Does this mean we'll have an orchestral night of the music of Steven Soderbergh films? #
- Nostalgia can be measured. It equals the length of time between when one attends a concert & when one begins to look for a bootleg thereof. #
- #ff @fieldnoiseaudio @dubfiction @sfemf @soundtrackerdoc @whyarcka @my_fun @davidholmes (not the one you think); off-topic: @twart1st #
- Vaguely remembering pager slang. #
- [email protected]: great. Four songs, improvised, the third with Mike Patton joining in. Riley sang as well as played piano; Zorn beamed. #
- Headed to Yoshi's for 8pm Zorn+Riley duo. How it's (reportedly) not sold out, I dunno. The 10pm Zorn+Frith+Patton reportedly has sold out. #
- Ghost of record-retail's past: http://ow.ly/i/3qX4 #
- RIP, literary critic Frank Kermode (b. 1919), a cornerstone of my college education. #
- Music by Philip Glass, Jonathan Coulton, Moby in geometric-remix game Chime (for charity) . Clear summary: http://is.gd/eFiTP (via bradonnm) #
- Bill Laswell's Method of Defiance (w/ Kondo, Krush, Worrell) has signed up at http://soundcloud.com/methodofdefiance #
- Great zombie-hand-in-pixel-sea cover art by Hannes Pasqualini for Plain Flavored's netlabel frelease Chipmusic in G Minor http://is.gd/eEYkm #
- Caught the Glasshouse gallery-as-home exhibit by Lital Dotan & Eyal Perry at Marina AbramoviÄ‡ West tonigh; lots of sound, not all domestic. #
- When wherehouse.com fulfills an online order, the email confirmation receipt tells you how much it'll pay to buy back previous purchases. #
- Near-silence in library suddenly dispelled by loud, and quite hi-fidelity, ringtone of Michael Jackson's "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)." #
- Slonimsky would have even RT'd John Stuart Mill: "I was seriously tormented by the thought of the exhaustibility of musical combinations." #
- More Nicolas Slonimsky: "Musicians do not manufacture material goods and therefore, like poets, must subsist parasitically." #
- Twitter's digital liquefaction has me in Hayward again. Odd, 'cause I see the Pacific Ocean & Golden Gate Park where I'm standing @support #
- Twitter was made for Nicolas Slonimsky. On conductors: "convenient to have a leader whose function is to give the signal to begin the music" #
- Still convinced #dubstep is a successful rebranding of #illbient Great free hour-long mix by Matta at http://j.mp/9aSzuD (via @adnoiseam) #
- Testing the photo-posting option in Android Hootsuite: http://ow.ly/i/3pp1 #
- Hot: 80 degrees inside. Odd night, sleeping with window open — rarity in these parts. Fell asleep to insect chatter; woke to passing geese. #
- Oddly fixated on whether or not the favicon for Google Calendar will switch from 31 to 30 when August gives way to September. #
- Neat web-based "DJ player" for Soundcloud (includes modest little looper) http://soundcloud.musikame.com/ via @davidholmes @haynes_dave #
- RIP, songwriter George David Weiss (b. 1921; "Can't Help Falling in Love," "Wonderful World," "Lion Sleeps Tonight") #wimoweh #
- â™« Morning sounds: initial release, all low-lying techno by Bartek Kawula, on the brand new netlabel http://basicsounds.ca (via @ario et al.) #
- When I read Eno collaborates with Jon Hopkins, I think Johns Hopkins, meaning Baltimore, meaning Matmos, which unfortunately isn't the case. #
- The music last night on Rubicon ("Connect the Dots") was its best yet. Is Peter Nashel still on the show, or is it a new composer? #
- There's gotta be a nearby alternate universe where the manga Gantz and the Webkinz company Ganz are one and the same. #
- Seems ironic: audio-book version of Gordon Hempton's One Square Inch of Silence: One Man’s Search for Natural Silence in a Noisy World. #
- RIP, inventor Robert W. Gundlach (b. 1926), leading figure in development of Xerox http://is.gd/ezp95 #copyleft #
- Zimoun will have piece @_TheLab_ (SF) group show 9/17-10/9, 2010, w/ Koski, Chapple, Bowen, Haynes/Parker, Crofton, Jorritsma, Thwaites … #
- Brian Eno signing with Warp Records is as if Miles Davis had left Columbia not for Warner Bros. but for ECM. #
- Sometimes I have to remind myself that when someone describes something as "dissonant noise" it's intended as a pejorative. #
- Morning sound: 1st evidence of birdsong in weeks. Like someone added a vocal to the standard instrumental track of hard drive, bus, & plane. #
- Passing boombox, a floor below, raspy as all get-out: an FM station through busted speakers on draining batteries powering rusted wires … #
- Twilight:Shojo::True Blood:Yaoi. #
- Me & 10 ancient ladies buying dim sum. Hard to believe the steadily percolating background chatter would be foreground if I knew Chinese. #
- Whenever I am inundated by news about Vin Scully, I am momentarily surprised by the popularity of architectural criticism. #
- Just realized you already can subscribe to comments on individual posts on my Disquiet.com site. Guess I can check that off my to-do list. #
- Firemen walk in & out of Toronado to deal with fire in basement, while bar remains full of people drinking. Outside kids stare at the trucks #
- Morning sounds: passing cars resounding like waves, hard drives buzzing like insects. Everyday tech is a sound menagerie. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice