- RIP, free jazz saxophonist Noah Howard (b. 1943) http://is.gd/eUNp6 #
- Anyone crunched the data from AllMusicGuide (or anywhere else) to see the average arc of ratings of musicians' albums over time? #
- Morning sounds: fridge, hard drive, small hiccups of feeding child, cars. #
- My kid's gonna grow up assuming that fog horns are part of the inherent, natural sound environment. #
- Morning sounds: from the world, fog horns, teen chatter (walking to nearby school), traffic; from the infant, gurgles, cries, sighs, snores. #
- Thanks for the congrats on our brand new baby. That was a great #replies feed to read thru. We're home from the hospital. Mom's doing well. #
- Baby's first fog horn. And second. And third. #
- So many of the creaking doors and other noises in this wing of the hospital are easily mistaken for crying infants. #
- Looks like I will miss the On Land & SFEMF festivals in San Francisco these next weeks. Good excuse: my first child was born Tuesday night. #
- Someday when two people call each other simultaneously (usually back, after dropped calls), the calls will connect and the charges split. #
- The HVAC in this building is such that even though it's high on a hill, it feels like you're in a bunker deep underground. #
- When a persistent jackhammer several blocks away suddenly goes quiet, the first assumption is assault. #
- Not crickets. A mid-day car alarm many, many blocks away. #
- Morning sounds: heater, which sometimes sounds like skateboard; plane, which sometimes sounds like bomb; and dog, which sounds like dog. #
- Attention, coders: @buddhamachine is looking for an #android #developer for a Buddha #app #
- Morning sounds: especially still, as if the sound environment were taking off the final weekend in August, before the school year begins. #
- The clerk at the department store directed me to "seasonal electronics" — now that would be a great name for a netlabel. #
- Listening to review copy of forthcoming Underworld album, Barking. Not a bad soundtrack for a Saturday afternoon. #
- Sold my Electro-Harmonix 2880. Think I'm gonna fiddle, so to speak, with the looper in Ableton for now. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0478 / Collage of Collages / The Assignment: Make a collage that will become part of a larger collage.
• 0477 / Flying Blind / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which some substantial portion is performed without looking.
• 0476 / IAH Forecast / The Assignment: Here's your next single's cover. Now record it.
• 0475 / Low End (4 of 3) / The Assignment: Remix a trio by doing forensics on its component parts.
• 0474 / Police Action (3 of 3) / The Assignment: Complete a trio by adding a track to an existing duet by two other musicians
And there is a complete list of past projects, 478 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments