- The @nytimes Today's Paper page is a great thing, even if article titles (when separated from articles themselves) read like crossword clues #
- Outmoded retail = video game (that's a McLuhan paraphrase). Recordshop Tycoon more Farmville than Paperboy http://is.gd/fr5FF via @appscout #
- #ff @audiobaum @clinicalarchive @thecentrifuge @rec72 @publicspaceslab @luvsound @stasisfield all post adventurous free music #netlabel #
- Fave recent bioacoustics-L list entry: "Yesterday a Shark ( a bull) eated my Hydrophone." Email titled "Hydrophone bait" http://is.gd/fqTWU #
- RIP, Frederick Jelinek (b. 1932), who helped "make it possible for computers to decipher and translate human speech" http://is.gd/fqJfr #
- Cage's 4'33" now the name of a London literary magazine that's audio-only, @433mag http://www.fourthirtythree.com/ (via @saraivry @weegee) #
- If you have the time, would you please mash up the terse piano of Chilly Gonzales' "Never Stop" & the terse piano of Bad Plus' "Never Stop"? #
- Clooney's The American would make for an interesting double feature with Swinton's I Am Love. #
- Recent Disquiet.com null searches: Big Daddy Kane, Alberto Caeiro, Cesar Mesa, Mackintosh Braun, Valentino Kanziani. #
- Morning sounds: whirring hard drive, nursing child, passing buses, rumbling heater. #
- Morning sounds: a deep rich white noise comprised of traffic (land and air), heating, plumbing, and domestic electronics. #
- Many thanks to Thorsten Sideb0ard (@sideb0ard) for drawing my new Twitter background. More info on him at http://is.gd/flXiY #
- Tuesday noon siren: drone distended today, like Kid Koala's scratching it; the voice especially loud, like it's my neighbor in the yard. #
- 4G is reportedly on in San Francisco. Does the air feel different? http://is.gd/flA5c #
- 11 amazing and generous ambient musicians put together this compilation of baby-friendly music (a la @_raymond_scott_) http://is.gd/fltDp #
- Morning sounds: heater, hard drive, bus, post-feeding child rustling in her swaddle. #
- RIP, Buddy Collette (b. 1921), personification of Los Angeles jazz. http://is.gd/flufG #
- So, @emusic only lists two artists as being "similar to" Keith Fullerton Whitman: Christopher Bissonnette with two "n"s (correct) & one "n" #
- So quiet. Mother & child sleeping; cars slip pass outside; speakers off; one headphone earpiece on, other left open to keep an ear on kid. #
- #np An amazing new 11-track compilation of quiet music, about which I'll be saying more in the next day or so, when it goes live. #
- Insane @yoshisjazz month: Charles Lloyd, Logic/Wasserman, Geri Allen does Dolphy (w/ Lake), Ayers, Liebman — and George Wein conversation. #
- â™ª Afternoon tune: MOSS (Berg, Block, Roden, Vitiello) performance excerpt from this past weekend in San Jose http://is.gd/fkb00 #
- Autohotkey + Readability. Thank you, @autohotkey + @arc90 #
- Guitar picks depict floppy disk, boombox, MP3 controls, more; look under Objects at http://bit.ly/12kpicks — by @mapmap & @taylordeupree #
- Geek trio in Terriers the best of its kind since the Lone Gunmen of X-Files days. #
- Whenever I watch Mad Men, I wonder which character is closest to what Don DeLillo would have been like at the time. #
- Still adjusting to expanded @wsj culture coverage. Keith Fullerton Whitman interview: "very bad-looking algebra problem" http://is.gd/fijat #
- It Might Get Loud documentary worth it just for Jimmy Page revisiting where Zeppelin broke the levee, and playing a quick theremin solo. #
- #â™ª Afternoon listen: various KFW activities (modular and otherwise) from his website, http://keithfullertonwhitman.com #
- C64 BASIC emulator has been approved for iOS app store. Any chance someone could skin it for those of us reared on the TRS-80? #tapedrive #
- Apparently Four Tet has been on @twitter since 12:25pm on September 13: @fourtet #
- N.E.R.D. on their favorite hip-hop producers. DJ Premiere? "Primo deserves his own pyramid. He's a pharaoh." http://is.gd/fgKia #
- "Sound of Shadows module… [is] like the Boss DD-3 the way that a Panther is like my cat" / Brian Biggs gets delay-ed http://is.gd/fgJ5Z #
- Somehow in my dream a song off the new album by the 88 was a song by Alex Chilton and Eric Carmen. #sleeplogic #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice