- The @nytimes Today's Paper page is a great thing, even if article titles (when separated from articles themselves) read like crossword clues #
- Outmoded retail = video game (that's a McLuhan paraphrase). Recordshop Tycoon more Farmville than Paperboy http://is.gd/fr5FF via @appscout #
- #ff @audiobaum @clinicalarchive @thecentrifuge @rec72 @publicspaceslab @luvsound @stasisfield all post adventurous free music #netlabel #
- Fave recent bioacoustics-L list entry: "Yesterday a Shark ( a bull) eated my Hydrophone." Email titled "Hydrophone bait" http://is.gd/fqTWU #
- RIP, Frederick Jelinek (b. 1932), who helped "make it possible for computers to decipher and translate human speech" http://is.gd/fqJfr #
- Cage's 4'33" now the name of a London literary magazine that's audio-only, @433mag http://www.fourthirtythree.com/ (via @saraivry @weegee) #
- If you have the time, would you please mash up the terse piano of Chilly Gonzales' "Never Stop" & the terse piano of Bad Plus' "Never Stop"? #
- Clooney's The American would make for an interesting double feature with Swinton's I Am Love. #
- Recent Disquiet.com null searches: Big Daddy Kane, Alberto Caeiro, Cesar Mesa, Mackintosh Braun, Valentino Kanziani. #
- Morning sounds: whirring hard drive, nursing child, passing buses, rumbling heater. #
- Morning sounds: a deep rich white noise comprised of traffic (land and air), heating, plumbing, and domestic electronics. #
- Many thanks to Thorsten Sideb0ard (@sideb0ard) for drawing my new Twitter background. More info on him at http://is.gd/flXiY #
- Tuesday noon siren: drone distended today, like Kid Koala's scratching it; the voice especially loud, like it's my neighbor in the yard. #
- 4G is reportedly on in San Francisco. Does the air feel different? http://is.gd/flA5c #
- 11 amazing and generous ambient musicians put together this compilation of baby-friendly music (a la @_raymond_scott_) http://is.gd/fltDp #
- Morning sounds: heater, hard drive, bus, post-feeding child rustling in her swaddle. #
- RIP, Buddy Collette (b. 1921), personification of Los Angeles jazz. http://is.gd/flufG #
- So, @emusic only lists two artists as being "similar to" Keith Fullerton Whitman: Christopher Bissonnette with two "n"s (correct) & one "n" #
- So quiet. Mother & child sleeping; cars slip pass outside; speakers off; one headphone earpiece on, other left open to keep an ear on kid. #
- #np An amazing new 11-track compilation of quiet music, about which I'll be saying more in the next day or so, when it goes live. #
- Insane @yoshisjazz month: Charles Lloyd, Logic/Wasserman, Geri Allen does Dolphy (w/ Lake), Ayers, Liebman — and George Wein conversation. #
- â™ª Afternoon tune: MOSS (Berg, Block, Roden, Vitiello) performance excerpt from this past weekend in San Jose http://is.gd/fkb00 #
- Autohotkey + Readability. Thank you, @autohotkey + @arc90 #
- Guitar picks depict floppy disk, boombox, MP3 controls, more; look under Objects at http://bit.ly/12kpicks — by @mapmap & @taylordeupree #
- Geek trio in Terriers the best of its kind since the Lone Gunmen of X-Files days. #
- Whenever I watch Mad Men, I wonder which character is closest to what Don DeLillo would have been like at the time. #
- Still adjusting to expanded @wsj culture coverage. Keith Fullerton Whitman interview: "very bad-looking algebra problem" http://is.gd/fijat #
- It Might Get Loud documentary worth it just for Jimmy Page revisiting where Zeppelin broke the levee, and playing a quick theremin solo. #
- #â™ª Afternoon listen: various KFW activities (modular and otherwise) from his website, http://keithfullertonwhitman.com #
- C64 BASIC emulator has been approved for iOS app store. Any chance someone could skin it for those of us reared on the TRS-80? #tapedrive #
- Apparently Four Tet has been on @twitter since 12:25pm on September 13: @fourtet #
- N.E.R.D. on their favorite hip-hop producers. DJ Premiere? "Primo deserves his own pyramid. He's a pharaoh." http://is.gd/fgKia #
- "Sound of Shadows module… [is] like the Boss DD-3 the way that a Panther is like my cat" / Brian Biggs gets delay-ed http://is.gd/fgJ5Z #
- Somehow in my dream a song off the new album by the 88 was a song by Alex Chilton and Eric Carmen. #sleeplogic #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0561 / Samplelicker / The Assignment: Rework environmental sound recordings with Aphex Twin's new software.
• 0560 / Sonic Disambiguation / The Assignment: Help the Wikimedia Foundation develop a sonic logo.
• 0559 / Yes Exit / The Assignment: Compose your personal entrance and exit cues for conference calls.
• 0558 / Chore Progressions / The Assignment: Use a routine activity as the map of a composition.
• 0557 / Condensation Is a Form of Change / The Assignment: Interpret a graphic score that depicts four phases.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 561 consecutive weeks to date.