- Re: Medal of Honor fracas: 1, seeing adversary role-play as "fun" misunderstands "play"; 2, shebang ignores military recruitment via gaming #
- Gonna be a silent Christmas, at least in UK: "John Cage's 4'33'': festive sound of a defeated Simon Cowell" http://is.gd/fGK59 via @guardian #
- [email protected] Quite amazing how much sound's in Fringe, like episode when they took pane of glass from window and replayed incident like an LP. in reply to npseaver #
- Edward Rothstein on cam-phones in museums: "looking–for which museums were created–becomes a memory before it has even begun" via @nytimes #
- Man, Fringe's aural fixation made itself heard in last night's episode, "The Box": Peter going deaf in order to defuse a hypersonic bomb? #
- 35,474: number of plays of Brian Eno's "2 Forms of Anger" on @soundcloud in past 48 hours. http://is.gd/fCvoO And still no samizdat remixes? #
- I'm sure my four-week-old child's fingernails make a sound when I trim them with a scissor, but my utter fear deafens me to it. #
- You know if you'd told me in my Asimov-drunk teens that some day I'd think negatively about the term "robocall" I wouldn't have believed you #
- Baby's first vinyl: The Pharcyde's Labcabincalifornia (Instrumentals). #
- Looking forward to the Music App Summit next Tuesday in San Francisco. Will be there all afternoon. #
- Afternoon listen: Philip Jeck and Janek Schaefer on BBC in conversation re: their recording histories and favorite music: http://is.gd/fFcjN #
- Couldn't make it out of town to #planningness in Denver. Hope everyone had an informative and great time. #
- My review of the recent Underworld album, Barking: http://is.gd/fEQzt "third-party producers lend…a welcome mix-tape vibrancy." #
- Leonardo Rosado (aka @sbtrmnl) asks listeners to rate tracks he's recording to cull best work for next CD: http://opaqueglitter.tumblr.com/ #
- #ff geo-locative sonic hub @urban_sound + composer/critic @felsenfeld + electronic musician @mystified131 #
- Lessig re: #fb film: "Imagine a jester from King George III’s court, charged in 1790 with writing a comedy about the new American Republic." #
- Morning sounds: breathing of two sleepers (wife, child); occasional bus and car; no birds, planes, or (first time in a while) foghorns. #
- Some friends are doing an amazing urban art project in/about New Orleans, where I lived from 1999-2003. Please support: http://kck.st/dqyDpC #
- Just fixed a lovely typo. Thanks for the alert, @earslend #
- Cartoonist Megan Kelso will be at #APE2010 in SF, and I'll be interviewing her on Saturday, October 16, at noon. Details: http://is.gd/fCYbV #
- OK, Brian Eno's quasi-post-punk song "2 Forms of Anger" off forthcoming album has been out for 24 hours. Where are the communal remixes? #
- Detailed post-mortem on making of game Canabalt by @adamatomic. Just wish there'd been some mention of music/sound role. http://is.gd/fCKtP #
- Best way to grok Daniel Lanois' impact on Neil Young's Le Noise is to watch Young play (live in studio) & hear recording http://is.gd/fCyoC #
- Baby's first Brian Eno is this free-streaming track off forthcoming album, appropriately titled Small Craft on a Milk Sea http://is.gd/fCvoO #
- Autechre remix of the Bug that @factmagazine had online is back up via @selftitledmag http://is.gd/fCuoW / Best thing Ae's done in long time #
- Noticed that I hadn't put ice cubes in my morning iced coffee in a month — reunited now with the crackling and popping. #
- On Facebook added a "suggested friend" I know is dead. I trust it's a tribute site since he died several years before Facebook ever existed. #
- Last line of Goodnight Moon: "Goodnight noises everywhere" (File under: The things we remember when we have kids.) #
- More detail on @internetarchive removing Anki Toner's silent-groove appropriations http://is.gd/fALnc More on this later (via @mystified131) #
- ♫ Afternoon tune: "Soft Like Leaves Falling" http://is.gd/fAKVA by Leonardo Rosado aka @sbtrmnl #
- Afternoon counterpoint: electric kid swing versus breast pump. #
- In the future, every noun will instigate 15 Twitterbots. (A tweet on Sons of Anarchy sound earned me a motorcycle-bot.) #
- "From orbit: Listening to Sting on my ipod watching the world go by ”“ literally" @astro_mike http://is.gd/fADdp via @juliandibbell #space♫ #
- Every time a motorcycle passes by, I think TiVo has accidentally replayed Sons of Anarchy. #
- Saw scraggly K Records logo in someone's Twitter-follow list; in-brain iPod immediately played half-remembered Dub Narcotic Sound System. #
- "Bodhisattva, let me take you by the app": Hong Kong programmer's #android Buddha Machine; elegant interface, four tracks http://is.gd/fAnov #
- "Weather conditions, wind direction, everyday sounds around this time must be considered." http://is.gd/fAksm #rippedfromtheheadlines #
- "police to investigate and report on distance/direction of a scream of kidnapped boy" http://is.gd/fAksm via @tobiasreber (thanks, man) #
- Morning sounds: foghorns, oddly quiet and remote. #
- RIP, Texas tenor saxophonist Ed Wiley, Jr. (b. 1930). #
- Interesting @kickstarter project I just kicked in on, all about "the sound of art" http://kck.st/92ElnD // Deadline is Oct 7. #
- Messing with instrumental hip-hop MP3s in Plogue Bidule, based on use by @cinchel (the software, not the tunes). #
- Joseph Horowitz on the #Singularity (made you look) … of George Gerswhin: "keenings that can only be called Slavic." http://is.gd/fylIQ #
- Nearby jackhammer, just far enough away to be pleasant. #
- Weird that #newtwitter right-hand column truncates top tweet after two lines. (At least in Firefox on Win 7.) #
- Beastie Boys nominated for Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame; hope someone they sampled — maybe Zeppelin's Page or Plant — does their introduction. #
- Meaning of wolf's howl: "The coyote is saying to everyone, fellow barking dogs or otherwise, 'We are here.'" http://is.gd/fyaIx via @nytimes #
- Neil Young's Le Noise is a wool sweater knitted with barbed wire. #
- Echo on Daniel Lanois' production of Neil Young's Le Noise sounds like he rented Pauline Oliveros & Stewart Dempster's Deep Listening cave. #
- Wonder how hard it'd be for RSS/Atom to allow some sorta background-image code to allow for visual continuity between feed and source-site. #
- Old-school music publicity: Tracking lost packages. New-school music publicity: Dealing with broken MP3 archives and stalled downloads. #
- [email protected] @mapmap I think there's a subcategory of "music by graphic designers for graphic designers." Maybe there's a photog equivalent. #
- Of all the technology in this home, the refrigerator has the most complex and varied sounds. #
- Buying records after midnight: the $2.99 deal for the Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross score to The Social Nework. http://amzn.to/TSNalbum #
- Hip-hop forensics, sampling genealogy, and how context beats (and, of course, builds on) crowd-sourced data: http://is.gd/fwrzY #
- [email protected] RJDJ is the MSG of everyday sonic life. As a phá»Ÿ addict, I mean that as a compliment. #
- My Spanish is poor but http://is.gd/fwhst seems to say @internetarchive yanked Anki Toner's album made of silent LP grooves due to Â© concern #
- "[M]usic can be remixed. Books aren’t remixed," says @greatdismal (aka William Gibson) http://bit.ly/ah7BVs via @significobs #
- Family drama: Life's fancier with a soundtrack playing in background of Skype conversation. Question is: Carl Stalling or Ennio Morricone? #
- San Francisco soundscape tour tomorrow at 3pm http://is.gd/fw6yg led by Dennis Paoletti, principal at Shen Milsom Wilke acoustic consultancy #
- Lanois "tweaked and toyed with…sounds, processing…signals"; "looped, echoed…multiplied fragments of…performances" http://is.gd/fvRED #
- Neil Young on producer Daniel Lanois' role: "He does a performance in the mix, and I do a performance in the performance" http://is.gd/fvRED #
- Morning sounds: surf whoosh of traffic, plumbing of a child, skeletal shifting of an old home, tinnitus ring of hard drives. #
- Sorry to read of 21 Grand's zoning issues. Space zoned for “community assembly”and the Orwellian "cultural non-assembly" http://is.gd/fuRKO #
- If 5 other San Francisco parents have Fisher-Price Power-Plus Plug-In Swings we could make some excellent "Steve Reich playdate" music. #
- Presumably the "10 songs" in this Fisher-Price Power-Plus Plug-In Swing don't count the enchanting metronomic techno of its 6 speed settings #
- The new(ish) remixes by Autechre (of the Bug) and Burial (of Commix) have reinvigorated my interest in both. Maybe I prefer them as filters. #
- Follow-up advice in that "shark attacks hydrophone" discussion: "Tow in greater speeds," "Hide shiny components," "Carry a rabbit’s foot" #
- Anyone contributing #soundart to http://www.art4dilla.com/ contest? Rules do say "original artwork (of any medium)." Voting begins Sept 30. #
- Sunday-morning shout-out to @luvsound & the musicians involved in this incredible, generous, neonate-friendly compilation http://is.gd/fltDp #
- Foghorns especially mellifluous this morning. Feel like I'm waking up from a nap in the middle of a concert. #
- A Prophet is Godfather 2”“good, but why does flick about Arab kid maturing in French prison end w/ Texan singing Americanized song by German? #
- DeLillo on interactive fiction's PoV narcissism: "Novels will become user-generated … with [reader] as main character" http://is.gd/ft82Q #
- Soundgrid (for iOS) now can import original instrument packages (aka samples) and upload to soundcloud? That's pretty excellent. #
- "Quiet alert" = "when a neonate is calm and attentive, with eyes open, ready to become acquainted with an adult person" http://is.gd/fsTBW #
- Embrace the cliché: new dad selling old Technics 1200s. #
- Great Google (mis)Translate incident from a Japanese musician's blog: a "last minuet announcement" #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0525 / Magic Number (1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio.
• 0524 / Sunset Waveform / The Assignment: Read a photo like a graphic score.
• 0523 / Chill Communication / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.
• 0522 / Just Backdated / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0521 / Cannon Canon / The Assignment: Make a martial round.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 525 consecutive weeks to date.