- It says "Goodnight noises everywhere" which is how I like to read it even if it's almost certainly "Goodnight, noises everywhere." #
- I asked a cranky (but not rhetorical) @quora question about how to rid the site of the plague of "best" inquiries: http://j.mp/fcHfXt #
- â–º Yasuo Akai's smudged Goldberg Variations is the loveliest thing I heard this week: http://j.mp/fVCzEC Initial thoughts: http://j.mp/gQe1zq #
- There is definitely some correlation between missing socks and spare computer cables. #
- So now we all inhabit an alternate universe in which Fringe airs on Fridays. #
- Cleaning office to sounds of latest Buddha Machine, plus guest appearance by noon bells. #
- Many thanks to Justin Orr (of jusscope.com) for drawing my new Twitter background, part of the ongoing "Sketches of Sound" series. #
- Post-midnight sounds: TiVo hard drive, distant cars, lightbulb. A dense quiet. #
- You've been at your computer too long when you're surprised your TV doesn't require you to enter a password. #
- Thanks again to @n_ludmila for drawing my great twitter.com/disquiet wallpaper, from my "Sketches of Sound" series. New image up shortly. #
- â™ª Evening gaping-maw fuzz-drone: "Fleshcave" by @whaleclaw of Austin, Texas, via @warrenellis http://j.mp/gSrn37 #
- Why not Fb? It's basically AOL with a nice UI. Why Fb? Astonishing how many accomplished musicians and heavy listeners make a home there. #
- Very infrequently, if at all. "@vuzhmusic: @disquiet Out of curiosity (don't intend to join FB), you planning to have exclusive content?" #
- OK, "official" URL for Disquiet Facebook page: http://facebook.com/disquiet.fb. Though Facebook can take it back, and probably owns my DNA. #
- Earliest Disquiet.com page, from 11/1997, in @internetarchive Wayback Machine: http://j.mp/eNrVvN (Site actually dates from 12/1996.) #
- [email protected] New Wayback Machine looks pretty darn elegant. Nice one. #
- [email protected] Oh, totally. I personally think that "indie" is a ridiculous term, one that fetishizes an urchin-like place in the world. #
- I guess "indie music" is a catchier term than "unindentured music." #
- [email protected] Excellent. Like a scene from a 1970s version of Being Human: an AA meeting for Frankenstein's monsters. http://j.mp/eCifC2 #
- Black Swan is about two actresses with competing movies about being in casual sexual relationships with friends who want to be movie stars. #
- America: where the mentally unstable can purchase firearms but scientists can't futz with video-game consoles: http://t.co/XUbBI55 via @qDot #
- In San Francisco Saturday? It's the opening of Zimoun's @gaffta exhibit of his tiny-motor-driven installations, e.g.: http://t.co/5VkwBtQ #
- Read @softskull Deep Focus series in North Beach, people think you've got poetry chapbooks; it's actually novelists writing on "genre" films #
- Experiencing town-gown flashbacks as I read about KUSF FM closure. Apparently my own FM alma mater is online-only these days: @wybcx #
- Feel terrible I missed KUSF protest to catch Zimoun in concert @swissnexSF, but his appearance in San Francisco was a rare one. Great show. #
- Reading Christopher Sorrentino on Bronson's Death Wish, reminded that Tucson is where the nascent vigilante gets his gun as a gift. #
- Spent far too much time today reading up on the hows (and mostly how-nots) of implementing USB keyboard on Android phone. #nexusstestdrive #
- "@bldgblog: Listening to the "ultrabass sounds of the giant star xi Hya": http://is.gd/R5kFTP" #
- Facebook Page for Disquiet.com has been interesting. In a few hours 45 people Like it, only half of 'em from my Friends. http://j.mp/eGEryh #
- "@primusluta: Went to help a friend through an MRI. Don't remember it being so loud. Made me want to play MRI machine like an instrument." #
- According to search at nature.com, my mention of Quatermass in my Cage/BBC review is the 1st in the mag since 1997, and only 3rd since 1989. #
- My review for Nature of new John Cage bio (Knopf) & BBC Radiophonic (Oxford) is in Jan 20 issue: http://j.mp/fhScs7 #subrequired @naturenews #
- Artificial as in intelligence not sweetener. #
- If you do Facebook, I set up a "Page" (TM) for Disquiet.com: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Disquiet/187677897928971 #redundant #yetnot #
- 44,000: No. of albums necessary to sell to be #1 on Billboard charts this week. Lowest ever. Nonetheless, congrats to Cake, who did it. #
- Very excited to see Zimoun and Jim Haynes tonight at @swissnexSF #
- RT "Q: @carlstone Has your daily tone ever been a palindrome?" "A: @disquiet No, but my piece Nak Won is http://tinyurl.com/48tase3" #
- Finished a book (Kevin Kelly's); bought two more (Lethem, Sorrentino). This is how the forces of Hydra plan to take over the world, right? #
- RIP, rock promoter Don Kirshner (b. 1934), http://bit.ly/edFgKf via @defjaf #
- Just perfect that the Internet Archive's entrance (in my neighborhood) is a former Christian Science "Reading Room." #
- After thinking about Tokyo bars last night, needed curry lunch. #jimbocho #richmonddistrict #
- Noon sirens sound like someone slowed 'em down. #
- I know "toxins" are real but the term is used so broadly that when I read it I think how in the past people spoke of "humors" and "angels." #
- Today, Jan. 18, is clearly the day when music and art publicists break their new-year resolutions to cut back on email. #
- [email protected] My pleasure. Been in my head to focus more on sound poetry this year, and then, lo and behold, I come upon your Howl(s). #
- [email protected] "Dirty LP: Images of Living-Room Turntables in the Films of Clint Eastwood" #
- Three words keep coming to mind from this past weekend: "rumble strips ahead." #
- On this sunny afternoon the fog horns (deep, emphatic, spartan) are like the audio track to a Godzilla serial directed by Jim Jarmusch. #
- I like to imagine that Donnie Yen's movie IP Man: The Legend of the Grandmaster is about fighting copyright violations with martial arts. #
- For #Android folks, my first Disquiet.com post with photos shot (at packed gallery opening) on my Nexus S: http://j.mp/e6jYUO #testdrive #
- Everything I play on my ukulele today will, in effect, be a duet for ukulele and fog horn. Hope the horns can keep up! #
- Absence of video games in Entertainment Weekly's 2011 preview (just film, TV, books, music) suggests pop-cultural myopia of epic proportion. #
- The @quora service is nifty, but it's fast become a tyranny of "best" — best this, best that, as if one size fits all. #
- It's almost as if one of the neighbors is playing Ingram Marshall's Fog Tropes really loud. #richmonddistrict #
- Didn't catch the Golden Globes, but very glad that Trent Reznor (and Atticus Ross — c'mon people, it wasn't a solo gig) won for best score. #
- My kid is 4.5 months old today. I'm playing Nick Lowe's "My Heart Hurts" to her on my ukulele. I think she's singing along. Or heckling. #
- Looking forward to first non-repeat episode of Young Justice. If it's twice as good as the premier "movie," it'll be OK. #
- Cool. The Charles Bronson film The Mechanic (1972), on which the new Jason Statham is based, is in the "watch instantly" section of Netflix. #
- "@dishliquid: Wet road smacked by tires, broken screen door twisting in the wind, macbook fan whirring/whining, stomach growling." #eartwit #
- Morning sounds: baby noises, hard drive, computer fan, typing, refrigerator, bus. #
- "@GlennF: The crows are going insane outside. It sounds like 1,000 car alarms" #eartwit #
- There is so much fog that the horns tonight seem redundant. #
- Great opening night at http://e6gallery.com/. Sound pieces:Ginsberg poetry cutups & audio-directed auto-drawing. Bonus: Neil Young sighting. #
- "qDot: Putting small mics in the elevators at a furry con would make for one /hell/ of a field recording project. #fc2011 quot; #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0456 / Line Up / The Assignment: Interpret a painting by Agnes Martin as if it were a graphic score.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 456 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments